Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

Possible Firefox Bug/Vista Nightmare - Page 1

Possible Firefox Bug/Vista Nightmare

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-06-26 10:26:53
Okay, as of late I have no idea what the hell is going on with either my Firefox or Vista. Whenever Firefox "Freezes"/"Not Responding". the skin turns to Vista Basic (Like it does when I have my VBA on), but when I load Firefox again, so I can have something running on another window instead of slowing down Caesary, but it ends up like this:

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz140/ShadowHeroDragon/FirefoxWeirdness.png

Also, if other's are trying to help me, please don't keep saying downgrade/upgrade, because each time that happens things go into chaos, so I'm not losing my data again over the fact Vista has too many flaws, or the new Firefox version has a bug. I don't remember this happening with Firefox 3.5.3, so it's either a bug or my Vista's causing trouble again.

Re: Possible Firefox Bug/Vista Nightmare

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-06-26 10:51:41
Just get Opera. (http://opera.com) Firefox has become full of crashes/freezes due to lazy developers.

(Opera loads like 500x faster than Firefox anyway, and you can customize it, etc.)

Date: 2010-06-26 11:05:41
I can't use IE8 - it doesn't agree with my Vista, (what doesn't), I have Comodo Web browser is like Google Chrome but with it's own cool other things. I read that there's going to be a Firefox 4, and I got a feeling, it'll end up like Firefox 3.6.4.

Date: 2010-06-26 11:11:17
Yes, just completely ignore what I say like always.

Edit: Oh I forgot, also switch subjects to something unrelated but still related enough to be "on topic"

Date: 2010-06-26 11:19:14
Even if I do go back on topic I still get a stupid threat. If people hate that much, then I'd say I could care less.

Anyway, Vista's really getting to a point, that I think I'll be going through another data loss, as of late, Vista's been running slow, I've ran scans, nothing has appeared, a lot of things has crashed, and half the time, Windows Task bar, crashes, as I've had a lot of updates as of late, and wondered if the updates could be the cause for Vista's odd behavior.

Date: 2010-06-26 11:21:43
The grey firefox window is due to not having enough RAM in your computer.

Date: 2010-06-26 11:40:02
I've not had that gray screen with any older versions of Firefox. Vista's again crashing everything running, ever since I had these updates, my Vista's been weird.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-06-26 13:29:03

I've not had that gray screen with any older versions of Firefox. Vista's again crashing everything running, ever since I had these updates, my Vista's been weird.

Maybe the updates are using up/reserving more RAM for system processes which in turn makes programs run out of RAM?  By the way, how much RAM do you have in your computer?

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-26 13:55:29
I'm pretty sure Gary's right on all of this so maybe you should read his posts….

Date: 2010-06-26 14:38:34
The system says 1.00GB, but it must be more or less than that. I'd gotten this update in which gave me Windows PowerShell, and Silverlight, (last year), but I don't use either.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-06-26 15:03:03

Just get Opera. (http://opera.com) Firefox has become full of crashes/freezes due to lazy developers.

(Opera loads like 500x faster than Firefox anyway, and you can customize it, etc.)

I can't use IE8 - it doesn't agree with my Vista, (what doesn't), I have Comodo Web browser is like Google Chrome but with it's own cool other things. I read that there's going to be a Firefox 4, and I got a feeling, it'll end up like Firefox 3.6.4.

¬_¬

Quit your kvetching.  GARY's right – I know from personal experience that Opera is many times faster and more stable than Firefox.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-06-26 15:30:01

The system says 1.00GB, but it must be more or less than that. I'd gotten this update in which gave me Windows PowerShell, and Silverlight, (last year), but I don't use either.

Oh dear.  You'll probably need at least 2GB of RAM with Vista; it's quite the RAM hog.

Date: 2010-06-26 15:50:51
I've noticed it's also a Hard drive hog, it keeps draining my Drive C, I'll be glad when I go back to XP, at lest that weren't such a pain, other than my PC did have problems with Drive C - lack of space. I don't know how to get RAM for a laptop, I know for a PC you can buy RAM cards, but for a laptop I don't know. I'd remove Silverlight, and PowerShell, but last time I removed Silverlight, (I heard it doesn't do anything), I'd gotten Blue Screens of Death. What can I do without risk of data loss? Linux well most likely Wine can't run Guild Wars, as the game is a powerful game, and Wine can't handle a game at that mount of graphics.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-06-26 15:58:14
Yami, try using Google Chrome.
Best (and most secure) browser ever. In my opinion.
Ever since I downloaded it to test a website on it, it's been my browser of choice.

Date: 2010-06-26 16:30:17
I'm too attached to Opera, at the moment, it's taken me an hour or two to get all my bookmarks from Firefox to Opera. Win 7 is bad, it's a processor hog, as people from a guild I'm in on GW have told me that Win 7 is a hog for everything, power, RAM, drive space, all sorts. I need something that can last until I get a new PC for my 22nd birthday, I doubt Linux would work on here again, after last time, also I can't downgrade without data loss, so I'm stuck with Vista. I don't know any other OS that won't be a risk of data loss, require too much (like Win7 does).