Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

Possible Firefox Bug/Vista Nightmare - Page 2

Re: Possible Firefox Bug/Vista Nightmare

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-06-26 17:58:42
people from a guild I'm in on GW have told me that Win 7 is a hog for everything, power, RAM, drive space, all sorts

They're wrong.

I've had 7, XP x64, and Vista on my current computer and, of the three, 7 is the least resource-intensive, XP 2nd, Vista the worst offender.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2010-06-27 00:08:07
Uh, no. Vista and 7 have the exact same system requirements. It's just that 7 handles its resources better.

Your options are either to migrate to Linux or downgrade to XP. If you have an XP install CD, this article describes how to move to XP without losing your data.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-06-27 05:27:39

people from a guild I'm in on GW have told me that Win 7 is a hog for everything, power, RAM, drive space, all sorts

They're wrong.

I've had 7, XP x64, and Vista on my current computer and, of the three, 7 is the least resource-intensive, XP 2nd, Vista the worst offender.

Agreed. I've used 7 since 6.1.7022.winmain.090115-1850, and I've never installed a different OS on my main.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-06-27 09:26:52
I don't have a XP CD anymore, my last one was Home Edition, it was crap but it did it's job, but my first XP had died of an unknown cause, and the Hard Drive, as in the CD tray had gotten broken (refused to open), and no matter how much I'd try and get it open, it wouldn't, so when that was thrown out, my CD when with it. Win 7 is Vista just masked over half the bugs Microsoft had left, but in the UK we get black screens of death, meaning WIn 7 is just like I said - RAM hog. Vista, has too many flaws, updates, not compatible with half the stuff I get in which is for Vista. Media player has crashed over 12 times on Vista. I need a OS that's powerful enough to run GW with no problem.

I'm trying to get a PC for gaming, so I can store my music to my laptop/back-up my stuff to laptop/PC, but if I go with Linux, I'd still lose my data, as most of my stuff like my music is from LimeWire/FrostWire, but they aren't compatible for Linux, so they'd be lost, GW and Wine do not run well, I've tried it, and it was so lagy, it was awful. I'm down to 22.3 hard drive space, proving Vista is a hog, to everything it owns, also during typing Vista suddenly moves to the back of the post, or loads something else.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-06-27 11:29:56
Win 7 is Vista just masked over half the bugs Microsoft had left, but in the UK we get black screens of death, meaning WIn 7 is just like I said - RAM hog.

OH.  MY.  FUCKING.  GOD.

Windows 7 is nowhere near as RAM-intensive as Vista; furthermore, the copies of Windows 7 sold in Britain are no different from those sold in the US except for a few spelling changes.

You need to stop being an ignoramus and listen to what other people have to say.  It might actually help.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-06-27 12:08:41
I know Window systems, and they're all the same - useless. If you don't believe me look up about the black screens of death. Win 7 is awful, it's not good for gaming. XP is fine I get on fine with XP, minus my PC that was buggered to start with. I'm going with XP, end of. I hate any new versions of Windows because they're all the same - mask overs, because Microsoft can't be bothered to fix their problems, and the UK always get something wrong, because Conficker is still in this country, it's in China, Ireland, the US, and other parts of the globe.

I did like Linux, but again Wine is too unstable to run GW as it gets updates weekly/monthly, so the updates increase the game's performance, so Linux will be out of the question, until Wine is upgraded to support Guild Wars. Is there any other options, Adrian, or I'll have to stick with Vista, until my cousin comes with my laptop's screen? I'm sorry, but people can say whatever about Win 7, and with my laptop as it is, it won't do it any good. The UK tend to get problems with PCs, because we have morons who don't understand how money works, and how things work. I'm sorry but I will never have Win 7 on any of my systems. It be fine for my parent's old PC, as Win 7 is only good for home use, work use, not game use.