Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Messing up the Ditto Trick - Page 1

Messing up the Ditto Trick

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-03 07:51:07
Yeah. What I mean is: activating a trainer, saving, and not finishing up, due to just not wantingf to do it. I don't remeber any exact details of the activated trainers or the fights I did in between, but I have some about the resulting fights.

(1.) Once randomly leaving cerulean minding my own business, I fought a normal Lv80 MissingNo.. Just gbeat it normally, OK.

(2.) While going to the Gambler to do the trick again (doesn't affect anything) when I went outy the door, there was an invisoble dude who's talking kept me on top of the door: "…but how's your chem?". Then…*doorslam*I'm back in the room!*music* *screenshift* SUPER NERD wants to fight! OK, I beat this man normally. Now I go back out to get to the gambler, and I fight him again the same way! I beat him, but it makes all these glitchy sounds! I go back and later am in Lavender, I leave and it does tons of glitchy sounds after the menu popup, and freezes. I reset, go back there, leave, and it's fine.

Perhaps something interesting to research?

Re: Messing up the Ditto Trick

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-09-03 16:54:22
Hmm…that sounds like the 0 error glitch, which seems to be triggered whenever you activate a trainer aside a major city, fly to said city, battle a trainer on another route right next to said city, then go back to meet the first trainer.

EX. I activated the top swimmer in the group of four swimmers south of Fuschia City, flew to Fuschia, and fought a random Beauty on the route east of Fuschia. When I came to re-engage the battle, I got the swimmer's message and battled him instead of whatever Pokemon I should have summoned. Afterwords the route where the swimmer was became glitched, first only letting me take one step at a time, and then erupting into a cacophony of strange cries and sounds that wouldn't let I move at all until regular music returned…which lasted for about two seconds each time. I eventually turned off my game.

When this happens, YOU DON'T WANT TO SAVE. The route will be forever messed up otherwise.

Date: 2007-09-03 17:20:03
another thing to look at may be "chains". in (2.), there were no glitchy effects leaving Lavender if I hadn't fought the Super Nerd.

Date: 2007-09-03 17:51:11
That's true. I've never had a "chain" of Trainer battles, though I've heard of them, and usually it's the end of the second battle where all hell breaks loose.

Actually, one thing I do wonder about is…what if you activated more than one trainer before fighting the "special" trainer and going back to the first? I know that the start button doesn't work after the first trainer, but I think I heard about a way to fix it somewhere… 

Date: 2007-09-04 08:29:55
that would be by saving, obviously at a PC.

Date: 2007-09-04 19:46:49
Yeah, that was it.

Date: 2007-09-05 14:35:53
You can also somehow use that to reduce the amount of necessary trainer battles.

Date: 2007-09-05 15:08:55
Oh yeah, I think that when you challenge and then flee from a trainer, all the trainers on that route will be unresponsive until the glitch is finished, or something like that.

Date: 2007-09-05 15:14:42
How can you flee from a trainer?

Posted by: cheater
Date: 2007-09-14 23:24:49
She means flying away before the battle starts, also known as the mechanism behind the Mew glitch.

Date: 2007-09-15 09:44:21

Oh yeah, I think that when you challenge and then flee from a trainer, all the trainers on that route will be unresponsive until the glitch is finished, or something like that.
Exactly my story! That scared me…O.o when it happened. After the super nerd everything was back to normal though.

Date: 2007-09-16 17:02:50
Well, you can also dig/teleport to escape, but that's probably obvious.

Oh, and cheater, I'm a girl, btw :P

Date: 2007-09-17 16:11:02
Hence the Lv100s before Misty Trick.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-09-17 18:44:47

She means flying away before the battle starts, also known as the mechanism behind the Mew glitch.

"Fight-Cancelled Battle Manipulation" :P

Sorry, lol, can't help it

Date: 2007-09-17 19:29:28
'Tis kay. Might as well try to remember the right term XP

Speaking of messing up the Ditto trick…never withdraw a Pokemon after fighting the second trainer. I withdrew a Sandshrew once (b/c my other Pokemon were too strong), and when I arrived at the site for battle all I got was a text box overflowing with numbers that froze my game O_o.