Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Missingno? - Page 1

Missingno?

Posted by: Murph101
Date: 2007-12-21 13:41:51
What Do You Think Missingno Is ?
And Whene He Was First Created And Why?
Because I Dont Really Know :?  :???:

Re: Missingno?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-12-21 15:18:46
MissingNO is a glitch.
It was not created.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-12-21 15:25:06
It was an actual program they used to test Pokemon with and afterwards, they tried to remove it but failed.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2007-12-21 16:01:12
No, MissingNo. is an error trap between hexes 01 and BE.  It was there so the game would not crash like Pokemon Green when trying to access the "MissingNo." hexes.  It was not there to test pokemon, it was there to keep the game from crashing in R/B if these hexes were accessed.  Yellow made MissingNo. a glitch by Game Freak thinking they removed how it was accessed and adding more things to the game altering MissingNo. from R/B to what it is now.

Date: 2007-12-21 16:11:19
Didn't they use something to test Pokemon though?

Date: 2007-12-21 16:18:41
No, it is an error trap.  There was a rumor about what you just said, but it was proved false or something.

Date: 2007-12-21 16:21:20
Why exactly does it give you a glitch Pokemon if you have no Pokemon and get in a battle?

Date: 2007-12-21 16:32:45
It is a place holder.  The game doesn't want to send out an 'M or send out a coded Pokemon since the WRAM says you don't have one.  It looks for another void data to send out (Missingno.) and sends that out.  During this process, the enemy pokemon get half processed and gets glitch like qualities. Hence the HP bar and the weird name.  Because of this, the game crashes after the battle is done.

Date: 2007-12-21 16:36:58
Red, Blue, and Yellow only, or was this (the part where it crashes after the battle) in Gold, Silver, and Crystal as well?

Posted by: RPBnimrod
Date: 2007-12-21 16:45:30
My theory is that it was a beta articuno, due to its bird/water type, which is close to flying/ice type.

Date: 2007-12-21 17:00:57

Red, Blue, and Yellow only, or was this (the part where it crashes after the battle) in Gold, Silver, and Crystal as well?

G/S/C cannot go into battle without pokemon.  It just flashes the screen and makes it turn blank then comes back to the map and says you won.

My theory is that it was a beta articuno, due to its bird/water type, which is close to flying/ice type.

It is not a beta Articuno.  It's type is Bird/Normal, not Bird/Water.  That beta Articuno theory sounds like it's in the league with the beta Lugia theory.

Date: 2007-12-21 17:02:46
Why would people think they would have put G/S/C Pokemon into R/B/Y anyway when they didn't even exist yet?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-21 17:06:38
The same reason they believe in Pokegods, they think a big secret and coverup is planned and they are just about to discover the ultimate beings that have been hidden inside the game.

Date: 2007-12-21 17:10:54
I fail to see the point in this topic anymore or at any point. *locks*

Edit: My lock got unlocked and I'm not locking it again.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-12-21 17:16:14
Unlocked.