Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Another MissingNo. type? - Page 2

Re: Another MissingNo. type?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-01-01 16:28:52

What does YMMV mean?

Your Mileage May Vary. In other words, ?This works for me, but I don?t guarantee it will work for you.?

MissingNO. is a glitch. Who told you it isn't?

Missingno. is encountered through glitches and has glitchy effects, but is an ?empty Pok?mon,? not a glitch. It is a data structure physically defined (though only partially) by the programmers.

Posted by: Gawaxay
Date: 2009-01-01 16:34:09

What does YMMV mean?

Your Mileage May Vary. In other words, ?This works for me, but I don?t guarantee it will work for you.?

MissingNO. is a glitch. Who told you it isn't?

Missingno. is encountered through glitches and has glitchy effects, but is an ?empty Pok?mon,? not a glitch. It is a data structure physically defined (though only partially) by the programmers.

Speaking of stuff, is there actually a formal definition of "glitch" for Pok?mon?

Posted by: Ashandmisty
Date: 2009-01-02 04:21:15
The difference between MissingNo. and a glitch Pokemon:

-The developers put MissingNo. in as a placeholder (it's the only Pokemon other than the 151 in the game that has an understandable name).
-Yes, you use a glitch to capture it but that does not mean he is a glitch Pokemon.
-Don't call him a glitch if it looks like a blob of pixels. It would think you offended it.

On a side note: I actually LIKE MissingNo.! I actually use a Gameshark to capture one at a low level and I raise it through the game. Sure, it faints alot of the time but it has an epic moveset.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-01-02 09:11:30

-The developers put MissingNo. in as a placeholder (it's the only Pokemon other than the 151 in the game that has an understandable name). They did, but that means that it can still be a glitch pokemon, right?
-Yes, you use a glitch to capture it but that does not mean he is a glitch Pokemon. That doesn't mean he isn't.
-Don't call him a glitch if it looks like a blob of pixels. It would think you offended it. O_o…

On a side note: I actually LIKE MissingNo.! I actually use a Gameshark to capture one at a low level and I raise it through the game. Sure, it faints alot of the time but it has an epic moveset.

Comments are in bold

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-01-02 10:50:40
I believe what they mean to say is that the developers completely intended to create Missingno. They just didn't intend for anyone to find it. Thus, the method is an error and a glitch but the actual pokemon is just a placeholder.

Date: 2009-01-02 12:15:29

I believe what they mean to say is that the developers completely intended to create Missingno. They just didn't intend for anyone to find it. Thus, the method is an error and a glitch but the actual pokemon is just a placeholder.

Exactly. The method of capture is a glitch, the actual Pokemon isn't.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-01-02 17:41:17
Even so, we consider it a glitch for all practical purposes, like how most people consider tomatoes vegetables.

Posted by: Jump and Run
Date: 2009-01-03 00:32:45
I always thought that MissingNO. (and other generation 1 placeholder pokemon) were the only REAL glitches in the games. All the others in the beyond generations are just placeholders that are impossible to find without hacking, thus cant be found through any normal circumstances in the game.

Date: 2009-01-03 03:35:05

I always thought that MissingNO. (and other generation 1 placeholder pokemon) were the only REAL glitches in the games. All the others in the beyond generations are just placeholders that are impossible to find without hacking, thus cant be found through any normal circumstances in the game.

It's the other way around. MissingNo. is a placeholder. All the other glitch Pokemon is just garbled data.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-01-03 04:01:06
Actually, I've read about MissingNo. on a PokemonWiki, website and the reason for MissingNo. are also this is from the Pokemon Wiki website.

The reason there were non-existent pokemon was caused by how they made the games, because of this, the lowest variable possible to put on the game was 256. In the original games there were only the original 150 (with exception of Japan, which had 151) there were still about 105 - 104 slots left. And thus, all 105 slots were filled with MissingNo. or 'M.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-01-03 07:50:31

Actually, I've read about MissingNo. on a PokemonWiki, website and the reason for MissingNo. are also this is from the Pokemon Wiki website.

The reason there were non-existent pokemon was caused by how they made the games, because of this, the lowest variable possible to put on the game was 256. In the original games there were only the original 150 (with exception of Japan, which had 151) there were still about 105 - 104 slots left. And thus, all 105 slots were filled with MissingNo. or 'M.

It?s true that there are 256 possible values of a byte?that?s just how programming works. In Red and Blue, 151 values of the species byte represent Pok?mon, 39 represent Missingno., 46 represent trainers, and all the rest are uninitialized.

Keeping everyone from saying Missingno. is a glitch Pok?mon is like keeping them from saying all glitch Pok?mon are Missingno., but there?s nothing wrong with being too correct in an academic context.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-01-03 09:00:54

Even so, we consider it a glitch for all practical purposes, like how most people consider tomatoes vegetables.

fair enough, I mean it really doesn't matter if you call it a glitch or placeholder or what have you, all i meantto do was explain their reasoning.

I'm pretty sure this is the closest thing to philosophical debate you can get about glitches.

Date: 2009-01-03 14:03:08
Now here is another question to boil your brain. We've established that MissingNo. isn't a glitch but a placeholder, what is 'M then?

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-01-03 20:30:20
'M is a glitch.  One easy way to tell it's a glitch is the glitch blocks in the name.

Posted by: Gawaxay
Date: 2009-01-04 00:06:01

'M is a glitch.  One easy way to tell it's a glitch is the glitch blocks in the name.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone here. The name does not make the glitch. Glitches are characterized by their effects, and, more often than not, there is no name to speak of.

Also

-The developers put MissingNo. in as a placeholder (it's the only Pokemon other than the 151 in the game that has an understandable name).
-Yes, you use a glitch to capture it but that does not mean he is a glitch Pokemon.
-Don't call him a glitch if it looks like a blob of pixels. It would think you offended it.

I just can't stand when people think of MissingNO. like a real Pok?mon. (Or otherwise er…"personification" per se) And you can't offend a glitch, or error, or whatever the hell MissingNO. is. It has no feelings; it's computer data.

Now I feel better. So, we were saying?

EDIT: Ah, yes, since my little debate with IIMarckus is over, are we going to organize some research on those MissingNO. forms?