Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Playthrough: Completing Generation I without fighting a Team Rocket member - Page 1

Playthrough: Completing Generation I without fighting a Team Rocket member

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2016-03-07 18:37:48
Precursor Thread: http://profglitch.proboards.com/thread/302/anybody-play-rbygsc

Rundown:  MissingNoGuy55 and I are going to be completing a run-through of Pokemon R/B/Y where we cannot fight (not even lose to) a single Team Rocket member.  We are doing this without gameshark and without glitch items, and without arbitrary code execution.

The main obstacle is obtaining HM01 or getting a .4 so we can teach it cut at level 61 BEFORE we exit Mt Moon.  This allows us to cut down the tree in Cerulean, skipping both the nugget bridge Rocket, and the backyard Cerulean Rocket.

We'll be posting videos/screenshots as we go explaining our progress.

Re: Playthrough: Completing Generation I without fighting a Team Rocket member

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-03-08 03:36:16
Can't you already skip the whole Mt. Moon and Cerulean sections with Brock through walls? Or am I missing something?

Date: 2016-03-08 06:23:08

Can't you already skip the whole Mt. Moon and Cerulean sections with Brock through walls? Or am I missing something?

No, this is not possible in Yellow and some international versions of R/B, so we are not using it.

http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Walk_through_walls_trick_(Youngster_method)

Skipping the first gym is not yet possible in the spanish versions and possibly others of R/B.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-08 07:52:01
I confirm it doesn't work in french R/B, so it probably only works in english games (japanese?).

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2016-03-08 20:51:41
Yeah the youngster glitch doesn't seem to work in the foreign versions that came out in 1999. (So essentially German, French, Italian, and Spanish versions.) It was patched in Yellow , so that would probably be the reason behind the glitch not working in these versions since they came out the same year Yellow did in the US. Any who, I look forward to seeing you guys do this. Unfortunately when I went to visit the link you have posted earlier an ad crashed Chrome so I couldn't view the topic… (Recently Proboards forums have been causing this to happen. I'll have to make a visit to their support forums I suppose.)

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2016-03-12 05:05:25
Photon is currently figuring out why we got a Mr. Mime out of the Cable Club escape glitch.

Now it's silent and he's in deep thought about the inner workings of what just happened lmao

Date: 2016-03-12 05:33:46

Photon is currently figuring out why we got a Mr. Mime out of the Cable Club escape glitch.

Now it's silent and he's in deep thought about the inner workings of what just happened lmao

A Lv. 32 Pikachu with a special stat of 54 in Yellow was the only Pokémon in his party.  I used the poison blackout method of both the viridian forest trainer and the cable club to escape glitch and fought the rival battle with his pikachu (and lost of course so the method can be repeated indefinitely… however it seems we may have to opt for Mt. Moon.)

After the battle, talking to the cable club receptionist allowed the game to return to a normal state (and viewing stats of a pokemon in battle restored item use).  When entering Viridian Forest, a Magneton was not encountered, instead I encountered a Mr. Mime.  After some tinkering with the Rival's Pokemon used in the battle and their RAM values, I have come to the conclusion that the game copies ONLY the species, level/exp, and current HP modifier of the pikachu.  Because of this, the Pikachu's HP bar was elongated and all of the Pikachu's DVs and Stat EXP was that the rival's first pokemon (because the pikachu was in the first slot of the party).

This would mean the Pikachu had a special/speed DV value of 88 and no special stat exp causing the game to calculate a Pikachu with a special stat of 42.  After testing the theory in Pokemon Yellow by editing the Pikachu's stat EXP and Spc/Spd DV and depositing/withdrawing it to refresh and recalculate the stats, a Pikachu with 42 special had been created.  (The game was then turned off and back on to return the Pikachu and the game back to normal)

What this means is, we cannot force a Pokémon to have a special value by stat exp training here.  The special value is heavily reliant on the DV value of the trainer's Pokémon and the other trade partner's Pokémon's species, base stats, and level when using the cable club escape glitch as a method to make needed Pokémon appear using the trainer escape glitch.

Making the Mr. Mime appear however makes this one step closer to getting Magneton, .4, and MissingNo (escape rope/rare candy item duplication).

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-03-13 22:50:31
Getting an early Missingno. will allow expanded item pack, which already lets you beat the game :P

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-14 01:38:52
If you guys want to do a fully international compatible run, remember pixel MissingNo. cannot be encountered in french R/B :p (but you can still catch them using cooltrainer)

Date: 2016-03-15 00:31:13

Getting an early Missingno. will allow expanded item pack, which already lets you beat the game :P

Item underflow hacking not allowed.

If you guys want to do a fully international compatible run, remember pixel MissingNo. cannot be encountered in french R/B :p (but you can still catch them using cooltrainer)

Also possible, but requires more level grinding to achieve.

EDIT: Actually, if you have a Pokémon with a special stat of 20, you can proc a level 1 Arcanine to appear via trainer escape glitch + cable club escape glitch then using growl 6 times on it.  Catching the level 1 Arcanine then defeating a level 2 pidgey or similar will cause the Arcanine to jump to level 100.  At level 100, the Arcanine has an effective special stat of 184 if used in the trainer escape + cable club escape glitch – the special stat needed for a Ghost MissingNo. to appear.

(Effective meaning if used on the rival battle near Viridian or the trainer on Route 3 with a Jigglypuff whose Pokémon both have spd/spc DVs of 88 and no Stat EXP)

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2016-03-15 08:28:56
By hacking do you mean no use of underflow period or just beating the game. Since you can encounter ghost missingno you could underflow and hen probably warp to cerulean city or enable walk through walls. However once we get past mount moon we still have the problem of the nugget bridge and dig TM rockets which are required to get the S.S. Ticket and leave cerulean city respectively.

Date: 2016-03-16 01:58:32

By hacking do you mean no use of underflow period or just beating the game. Since you can encounter ghost missingno you could underflow and hen probably warp to cerulean city or enable walk through walls. However once we get past mount moon we still have the problem of the nugget bridge and dig TM rockets which are required to get the S.S. Ticket and leave cerulean city respectively.

No use of underflow period. Underflow is basically a soft gameshark.

And those last two points are covered and we're skipping the S.S. Anne.  We will already have Cut by the time we leave Mt. Moon

Date: 2016-03-16 02:53:12
Glad we finally got MissingNo out of the way. Now we just need that Magneton.

Date: 2016-03-26 02:53:47
UPDATE: I DESTROYED MT. MOON

IT NO LONGER EXISTS

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-03-26 09:09:03

UPDATE: I DESTROYED MT. MOON

IT NO LONGER EXISTS

HOW DID YOU PERFORM THIS TERRORIST ACT? PLEASE SPEAK CLEARLY INTO THIS HIDDEN MICROPHONE