Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Different OOB crash (Pokemon Yellow ONLY) - Page 1

Different OOB crash (Pokemon Yellow ONLY)

Posted by: Glitcher
Date: 2016-10-30 10:08:33
Needed setup: one type of any Ball, memory editor.
1. Open your memory editor
2. Moddify address D056 with 03 (after that, the game thinks your in a battle)
3. Use the pokeball
4. When you throw the pokeball, the pokemon comes out the pokeball.
5. When you hear a different tune, press start to be in a glitch city
6. Open your memory editor, modify address CD38 with any value to walk throug walls
7. Try to go out of bounds (the best way is to be in Cinnabar Island and be right to the Pokémon Center)
8. The game doesnt crash, but you will be spinning forever until you reset your emulator or Gameboy.

I dont know if this thing is done before. If its not, then it is my first glitch that i've discovered.

Re: Different OOB crash (Pokemon Yellow ONLY)

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-10-30 10:23:49
Hmmm, seems to work until step 5, no glitch city appears at all. The most I've got was Pikachu spazzing and the trainers becoming Dragon/FatMan hybrids.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-10-30 17:24:25
I think I experienced this happening on Japanese Yellow v1.0, with the player also being placed in a glitch hell. Not sure what causes it and it's interesting if it works on non-Japanese versions.

Date: 2016-10-31 09:11:27

Hmmm, seems to work until step 5, no glitch city appears at all. The most I've got was Pikachu spazzing and the trainers becoming Dragon/FatMan hybrids.
You dont see it, because the screen needs to print it. You need to walk a bit more above until the normal world is gone, go back to your old place and welcome to Pokemon Yellow

Date: 2016-10-31 09:34:47
I walked around the whole Route… Will try in Cinnabar now.
EDIT:Nope, nothing. Only my Pikachu is a Clefairy now. The music doesn't change too.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-10-31 11:02:10

I think I experienced this happening on Japanese Yellow v1.0, with the player also being placed in a glitch hell. Not sure what causes it and it's interesting if it works on non-Japanese versions.

I had a Glitch Hell in FR Red once (http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7401.msg199515#msg199515), but I didn't try this on console yet. Btw, Glitcher, what emulator did you use ?

Also, here is a w s lm setup that should work :

(starting from first item)
w s lm
Poké Ball x[more than 1]
Lemonade x3
TM34 x86
TM08 x234
Super Repel x205
TM01 x[any] / Super Ball x201
(...)

Code :
ld a, $03
ld ($D056), a ; does the described effect
ld ($CD38), a ; enables WTW (non-zero value)
ret // dec b \ ret

Hex (starting at D31D) :
E6 0F EA 56 D0 EA 38 CD C9 01

Better try this in BGB for more accuracy.

Any VC testers out there ?

(Note for EU testing : use TM34 x85 instead of x86)

Date: 2016-10-31 16:29:53

I had a Glitch Hell in FR Red once (http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7401.msg199515#msg199515), but I didn't try this on console yet. Btw, Glitcher, what emulator did you use ?

w s lm
Poké Ball x[more than 1]
Lemonade x3
TM34 x86
TM08 x234
Super Repel x205
(...)

Code :
ld a, $03
ret // dec b \ ret

Hex (starting at D31D) :

I used a iPad emulator, but i think it just works on all emulators just fine. If it doenst, just say it to me so i know what i did wrong, or what i said as the turtorial

Date: 2016-10-31 16:33:52

EDIT:Nope, nothing. Only my Pikachu is a Clefairy now. The music doesn't change too.
I think your doing it wrong, tell me what you actully do, do you EXACTLY what i told in the turtorial? Just modify address D056 with values above 2. Then throw pokeball, then modify CD38 with any value, go oob, and then you have it. The place where i meant to go is further than that white wall what crashes your game. Hope it works.

Date: 2016-10-31 16:46:13

w s lm
Poké Ball x[more than 1]
Lemonade x3
TM34 x86
TM08 x234
Super Repel x205
(...)

Code :
ld a, $03
ret // dec b \ ret

Hex (starting at D31D) :

I used a iPad emulator, but i think it just works on all emulators just fine. If it doenst, just say it to me so i know what i did wrong, or what i said as the turtorial

I cannot test right now, but I bet that wouldn't console-verify. I say this because Glitch Hell on JP versions has been confirmed so far only on old (bad at emulating) versions of VBA.

I maybe could try this out on console, but I lack a SD card. I'll see later if it works.

Date: 2016-10-31 16:57:36

I think your doing it wrong, tell me what you actully do, do you EXACTLY what i told in the turtorial? Just modify address D056 with values above 2. Then throw pokeball, then modify CD38 with any value, go oob, and then you have it. The place where i meant to go is further than that white wall what crashes your game. Hope it works.

Well, I was changing it to 01, no matter there was no glitch city…

Date: 2016-11-01 03:14:04

Well, I was changing it to 01, no matter there was no glitch city…
When you modify it with 1, the game thinks your in a wild battle, you need to modify the address greater than 2, above 2 are glitched battle statuses

Date: 2016-11-01 07:27:01
Yeah, I knew that, let's try I guess.

Date: 2016-11-01 12:26:35
In Yellow, 03 is a different glitched battle system, and 04 is valid (Oak & Pikachew)

Date: 2016-11-02 04:37:52

In Yellow, 03 is a different glitched battle system, and 04 is valid (Oak & Pikachew)
That means when youre in a wild battle, and you modify the address with 4, you could catch any Pokèmon?

Date: 2016-11-02 06:51:11
Well, no. If you do that in battle, the game freezes as soon as you take a turn, not sure what happens if you throw a Poké Ball though. Outside of battle, you get a Lg- like effect, your position will be glitched and the game will crash a completely different way if you go out of bounds.