Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Should I buy Blue or Yellow on 3DS VC? - Page 1

Should I buy Blue or Yellow on 3DS VC?

Posted by: Cotni
Date: 2017-01-14 23:50:06
Ignoring classics I don't care about like the old man glitch is there a good glitch-related reason to buy Blue over Yellow? I'd also like to know if the emulator packed with Yellow is different.

Re: Should I buy Blue or Yellow on 3DS VC?

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-01-15 02:27:40
The only major changes are patching the "print" function and the ablity to play Pikachu's beach without a Surfing Pikachu, you decide.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-01-15 09:28:58
Encountering Missingno in Yellow is literally a tryhard (he crashes the game soooo often), whereas on R/B it's a breeze.

The Cooltrainer glitch is hard to unlock in Yellow, in R/B it's no problem.

Also a few glitches are Red/Blue only, such as the Remaining HP glitch.

And setting up a party for 8F code execution is way simpler than for ws m code execution. Plus most of the codes are written for R/B and you need some skill to do the translation to Yellow.

You also got the AI glitch in R/B (where Trainers get locked up on type-effective but non-damaging attacks.

However, getting Nidoking before Brock takes roughly one hour of tryhard in R/B, whereas in Yellow all you need is an Escape Rope.

The SRAM glitch is slightly easier in Yellow, too.

I prefer Red :P

Date: 2017-01-15 15:46:18

However, getting Nidoking before Brock takes roughly one hour of tryhard in R/B,

Yeah, on VC Blue, it took me 2 days of TriHard-ing, when I finaly got the RNG to listen to me, i encountered a few Pidgeys and got a Nidoking, lel, meh 💜 glitches.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2017-01-17 16:42:51

Encountering Missingno in Yellow is literally a tryhard (he crashes the game soooo often), whereas on R/B it's a breeze.

He could always encounter a Ghost, or fossil Missingno. of course. :P Sure all the other Missingno. that occupy other slots make the game crash or do other undesirable effects but those three are "safe". Though honestly I prefer Blue over Red/Yellow since it's my third favorite color and we didn't get the option of buying Green here. (Though I have a physical copy of the game anyways. xD) Plus like you mentioned glitches tend to be easier to execute in R/B over Y. But keep in mind that certain glitches are different while playing the VC version of the games because the VC emulator ignores unknown opcodes and switches them to "nop" or "no operation" in GBZ80.

Date: 2017-01-18 12:02:51
I forgot about special Missingnos, but the slight problem is that encountering them requires a precise Special stat as well as going all the way to Cinnabar Island. Also, encountering Missingno on Yellow VC crashes much more than on hardware.

Glitches behaving differently due to ignoring invalid opposes are rare and negligible.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-01-18 13:38:17

I forgot about special Missingnos, but the slight problem is that encountering them requires a precise Special stat as well as going all the way to Cinnabar Island. Also, encountering Missingno on Yellow VC crashes much more than on hardware.

Glitches behaving differently due to ignoring invalid opposes are rare and negligible.

Actually stable Missingno. can be encountered with an easier method using the Cubone trade girl in Underground Path so you don't have to go to Cinnabar Island to find Ditto. You have to talk to her before returning to the route to manipulate a level 80 Starmie and the Special stat of this Starmie may give you a Fossil/Ghost Missingno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73fAlzIbi9k

This is what I did to set up ws m on Pokémon Yellow. I used it to expand the items pack and used the Rival LG glitch to get the ws m bootstrap Pokémon.

Additionally the first time you encounter normal Missingno. it will never freeze the game (but it will take a while for you to be able to make an action in battle) provided that you reset the save data with Up+Select+B, haven't got a save file and haven't encountered any other glitch Pokémon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDkema91-vo

That said I believe it's still much easier to use Pokémon Red and Blue for dry underflow glitch, and if you don't want to do it the Trainer-Fly method you can use old man trick Missingno. to duplicate items.

Posted by: shatteredClockworks
Date: 2017-01-24 23:40:04
I'd advise blue, in my opinion,  at least. Yellow fixed some glitches exclusive to R/B. And if you're looking for glitches,  you're gonna find less in yellow.
;)
But the thats just what I'm saying.

Date: 2017-01-25 01:12:09
Why Blue over Red ?

I slightly prefer Red since you have slightly higher changes to get a non-Metapod Pokémon to get yourself poisoned when trying to obtain Nidoking.

Date: 2017-01-25 08:11:46
Actually, you're right about that.
I was saying blue because he asked Blue or Yellow
:P

Date: 2017-01-25 08:56:31
Oh, I had forgotten.
Blue >> Yellow in terms of glitches.

Date: 2017-01-25 10:10:32
@ISSOtm
But yeah I once tried doing that 100 Nidoking glitch in blue.
I get a….
Metapod.

Date: 2017-01-25 10:49:40

I'd advise blue, in my opinion,  at least. Yellow fixed some glitches exclusive to R/B. And if you're looking for glitches,  you're gonna find less in yellow.
;)
But the thats just what I'm saying.

But Yellow has "PikaWalk"…

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-01-25 12:01:03
Why getting level 100 Nidoking when you can just skip Brock and get something better?

Date: 2017-01-25 12:38:21
'cuz it's fun to wreck him.