Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Is 94 worth getting in Red/Blue? - Page 1

Is 94 worth getting in Red/Blue?

Posted by: Urish
Date: 2017-06-29 22:53:00
So I was looking at all the glitch Pokemon in Pokemon Red and Blue, and I came across one called 94. It looks pretty fun to use, and I plan to getting it using the remaining HP glitch without cheats. Is it worth all the effort?

Re: Is 94 worth getting in Red/Blue?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-06-30 00:18:13

So I was looking at all the glitch Pokemon in Pokemon Red and Blue, and I came across one called 94. It looks pretty fun to use, and I plan to getting it using the remaining HP glitch without cheats. Is it worth all the effort?

Definitely if you like powerful glitch Pokémon. 94's front sprite and back sprite is stable and its base stats are amazing. The 205 family in Red/Blue (including [C1], PokéWTrainer, p T, PC4SH, ' [D2], P , PkMnaPkMn fPkMnk, Glitch Pokémon [0xDB]) are arguably stronger however their front sprites are known to freeze the game and their backsprites are from 0xBA8A in SRAM leaving a chance that their backsprites may freeze in certain circumstances as well.

If your save file is capable of double distort CoolTrainer you can get it with the multiplication sign in a Pokémon's nickname and that's a little easier in my opinion.

Date: 2017-06-30 00:37:10

Definitely if you like powerful glitch Pokémon. 94's front sprite and back sprite is stable and its base stats are amazing. The 205 family in Red/Blue (including [C1], PokéWTrainer, p T, PC4SH, ' [D2], P , PkMnaPkMn fPkMnk, Glitch Pokémon [0xDB]) are arguably stronger however their front sprites are known to freeze the game and their backsprites are from 0xBA8A in SRAM leaving a chance that their backsprites may freeze in certain circumstances as well.

If your save file is capable of double distort CoolTrainer you can get it with the multiplication sign in a Pokémon's nickname and that's a little easier in my opinion.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't yet played to the point where I can get a Ditto, but I'll try out your suggested method when I do. From the looks of it, it looks way easier than what I was going to do.

Date: 2017-06-30 00:40:03

Good to know, thanks. I haven't yet played to the point where I can get a Ditto, but I'll try out your suggested method when I do. From the looks of it, it looks way easier than what I was going to do.

You're welcome. Good luck and have fun!

Date: 2017-06-30 00:59:55
Just in case the double distort CoolTrainer corruption doesn't work, would this be a functioning way to get 94 on Red:
1. Use the mew glitch to get a Level 100 Ivysaur with 192 Special
2. Use the mew glitch to get a Level 100 Poliwag with at least 241 HP
3. Use the mew glitch with the Ivysaur and a wild Ditto to get a Level 1-6 "a"
4. Trade that "a" to Yellow, level it up until Level 7 so it evolves, and trade back
5. Use the remaining HP glitch with the Poliwag and 'M to turn Poliwag into 94
I already got a Level 100 Ivysaur with 192 Special thanks to dumb luck on my Red game, so that's why I need to trade it to Yellow and back. My only problem with this way is that 94 is stuck at Level 100. Any efficient ways to somehow lower its Level?

I'll most likely be using the double distort CoolTrainer corruption, but I'm curious to see if my plan would have worked.

Date: 2017-06-30 01:50:25

Just in case the double distort CoolTrainer corruption doesn't work, would this be a functioning way to get 94 on Red:
1. Use the mew glitch to get a Level 100 Ivysaur with 192 Special
2. Use the mew glitch to get a Level 100 Poliwag with at least 241 HP
3. Use the mew glitch with the Ivysaur and a wild Ditto to get a Level 1-6 "a"
4. Trade that "a" to Yellow, level it up until Level 7 so it evolves, and trade back
5. Use the remaining HP glitch with the Poliwag and 'M to turn Poliwag into 94
I already got a Level 100 Ivysaur with 192 Special thanks to dumb luck on my Red game, so that's why I need to trade it to Yellow and back. My only problem with this way is that 94 is stuck at Level 100. Any efficient ways to somehow lower its Level?

I'll most likely be using the double distort CoolTrainer corruption, but I'm curious to see if my plan would have worked.

Yeah that should potentially work. :)

The only thing I'm unsure of is if the trade between Red/Blue and Yellow would work as there was one occasion I remember where the game locked up before a trade involving a glitch Pokémon completed, but it's possible that the problem could have been something else such as the glitch Pokémon belonging to a bad experience group. I think it's likely that the trades will work though. Note you don't have to obtain the "a" at level 1-6 as the evolution occurs at level 6 and up, not just those levels, so you can leave the Attack modifier at 7 to obtain a level 7 "a".

If the Ivysaur has exactly 13 Special DVs and gains around 10+ Special stat experience (which is extremely small, you can get this by swapping out the Level 1 Ivysaur into a Pokémon on Route 1 to finish the battle) then it should have exactly 192 Special at Level 100. Otherwise you'll have to be lucky to get the Ivysaur with less than 13 Special DVs and train/give Ivysaur Calcium if necessary, and there is also the factor that feeding it a Calcium could make it gain too much of a boost in Special, as at Level 100 the boosts will be a lot more than +1 or +2. The Pokémon you obtain from the Trainer-Fly glitch have random DVs.

I think you will have to give Poliwag a few HP Ups/train it and perform the box trick for it to gain 241 HP or more and fortunately we can have a maximum HP that is more than 241.

Provided the Ivysaur, Poliwag and 'M (FF) are prepared correctly this should work.

Date: 2017-06-30 02:58:37

The only thing I'm unsure of is if the trade between Red/Blue and Yellow would work as there was one occasion I remember where the game locked up before a trade involving a glitch Pokémon completed, but it's possible that the problem could have been something else such as the glitch Pokémon belonging to a bad experience group. I think it's likely that the trades will work though. Note you don't have to obtain the "a" at level 1-6 as the evolution occurs at level 6 and up, not just those levels, so you can leave the Attack modifier at 7 to obtain a level 7 "a".

If the Ivysaur has exactly 13 Special DVs and gains around 10+ Special stat experience (which is extremely small, you can get this by swapping out the Level 1 Ivysaur into a Pokémon on Route 1 to finish the battle) then it should have exactly 192 Special at Level 100. Otherwise you'll have to be lucky to get the Ivysaur with less than 13 Special DVs and train/give Ivysaur Calcium if necessary, and there is also the factor that feeding it a Calcium could make it gain too much of a boost in Special, as at Level 100 the boosts will be a lot more than +1 or +2. The Pokémon you obtain from the Trainer-Fly glitch have random DVs.

I think you will have to give Poliwag a few HP Ups/train it and perform the box trick for it to gain 241 HP or more and fortunately we can have a maximum HP that is more than 241.

Provided the Ivysaur, Poliwag and 'M (FF) are prepared correctly this should work.

Sweet, thanks for the confirmation and all the advice. Just one more question: is there a way to lower a Pokemon's level that does not interfere with what stats it should have at said level? Say if I had a level 53 Abra, could I use it to somehow obtain a Level 25 Abra that has the exact stats my Level 53 Abra would have if it was at level 25? I can't seem to find anything that would suggest this is possible, but there might be something I haven't seen or overlooked. Sorry for all these questions, by the way.

Also I just beat Misty so I'm one step closer to getting a Ditto. Yaaaaay.

Date: 2017-06-30 06:30:18

Sweet, thanks for the confirmation and all the advice. Just one more question: is there a way to lower a Pokemon's level that does not interfere with what stats it should have at said level? Say if I had a level 53 Abra, could I use it to somehow obtain a Level 25 Abra that has the exact stats my Level 53 Abra would have if it was at level 25? I can't seem to find anything that would suggest this is possible, but there might be something I haven't seen or overlooked. Sorry for all these questions, by the way.

Also I just beat Misty so I'm one step closer to getting a Ditto. Yaaaaay.

Anytime. :) I think you may be able to do that with Glitch City RAM manipulation by using Cut on a specific tile block in the Glitch City.

According to the wiki article:

Value… 11 50 51 52 53 96
will become… 10 109 108 111 76 110

So you may be able to change a level 11 Pokémon to a level 10 one, but for the other possible blocks the only thing you can do is increase the level.

The old values compared with the new values don't seem to be useful for this purpose either.

The only other way I know of for that to be possible is to use arbitrary code execution (and there's a chance it may be possible with a 6+ Pokémon glitch but you'd risk corrupting unrelated data and would have to fix your name) to modify address D18C (Pokémon 1's level) or similar, but it would not be needed as you could just use arbitrary code execution to give yourself a 94. You can't use a glitch to change the box level as withdrawing a Pokémon from the box will revert it back to the level that it's meant to be.

Sorry for all these questions, by the way.

That's OK.

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-06-30 07:16:52
This reminds me that somebody needs to edit 94's Bulbapedia page to mention its volatile properties…

Posted by: TheSixthItem
Date: 2017-06-30 09:34:43

This reminds me that somebody needs to edit 94's Bulbapedia page to mention its volatile properties…

I guess I'm doing even MORE bulbapedia editing after adding "Rival LOL Glitch" to half of the GlitchDex

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-06-30 12:46:42
Instead of changing its level, you should change its experience instead, then let it gain some experience or deposit it then withdraw it to reset its level.

Date: 2017-06-30 20:49:48
Well, the double distort CoolTrainer corruption worked (after a few resets). Thank you so much, Torchickens. This was my first ever glitch Pokemon, so this was pretty exciting.

Instead of changing its level, you should change its experience instead, then let it gain some experience or deposit it then withdraw it to reset its level.

How do I do that?

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-07-01 09:56:32
Ooh, somebody's a TMBG fan… :D

I think he means that you shouldn't glitch the Pokemon's level, but the amount of experience it has. Depositing and withdrawing it causes the game to recalculate its level.

Date: 2017-07-01 16:21:25

Ooh, somebody's a TMBG fan… :D

Someone actually got the reference. Neat. I can't help but feel impressed.

I think he means that you shouldn't glitch the Pokemon's level, but the amount of experience it has. Depositing and withdrawing it causes the game to recalculate its level.

How do I glitch the amount of experience it has without cheats? Any way to specifically make it 0 or near 0?

Date: 2017-07-05 05:55:51
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I'd really like to know if there's any way to glitch the amount of experience a Pokemon has. Anyone know any methods?