Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Front Sprite Crashers Revealed! Pokemon Red/Blue - Page 3

Re: Front Sprite Crashers Revealed! Pokemon Red/Blue

Posted by: GlitchedPokemonStudent
Date: 2018-08-25 17:50:01
Nice video! May you attach screenshots of the battles please? Then the sprites can be added to our wiki.

I took the front sprite ones, however, it seems like it only uses solid square on its first encounter, and then next encounters, it will do the 4 4 noise pixels with minor variations here and there each reset. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get around the devilish red glitch screen it has.

The (First Time) one will not show up if other glitch Pokemon shown up before Missingno.

v1.0 (First Time)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ay3WBoR.png[/img]
v1.0 (After reset or non-first encounters with minor variations)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/LLNWEwb.png[/img]
v1.1 (First Time)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Nht9h1G.png[/img]
v1.1 (After reset or non-first encounters with minor variations)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/7eBMttN.png[/img]

And finally, Missingno.'s back sprite in v1.0.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/dyLWdYt.png[/img]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-08-26 00:51:56
Thanks! :)

Have added the MissingNo. back sprite to the MissingNo. and GlitchDexJP/RG:000 articles and the MissingNo. v1.1 front sprite to the MissingNo. article.

About the v1.1 sprite, つ is the 'the hooked Pokémon' string and it looks like those are the genuine sprites.

But with the v1.0 sprites it says "ぶてき!" which means a glitch Trainer wants to fight. Despite that the sprites are quite similar so perhaps it is the glitch Pokémon's sprite and not the Trainer's (like if you force a wild Pokémon to be a Trainer). May you test them with 010134D0 (wild Pokémon and not trainer) enabled please and post the results?

Date: 2018-08-26 11:00:51

But with the v1.0 sprites it says "ぶてき!" which means a glitch Trainer wants to fight. Despite that the sprites are quite similar so perhaps it is the glitch Pokémon's sprite and not the Trainer's (like if you force a wild Pokémon to be a Trainer). May you test them with 010134D0 (wild Pokémon and not trainer) enabled please and post the results?

I'm sure it's due to the sprite tampering with the battle mode.

I did test that with 4 4 this summer, but I'm not sure how to make them work with Glitch Pokemon $C8 and onwards since trainers appear instead, since the Pewter Museum method for battles and stats didn't seem to work in terms of all glitch Pokemon, while for battles, it only works for the Mew Glitch obtainable Pokemon. But with that code on+the wild Pokemon battle mode lock, it's not enough otherwise. I think it should be possible since I did see this in the past. https://youtu.be/CnuuRz4hcIM?t=31

Edit - Just to note, it's CF90 in English Yellow.

Date: 2018-08-26 12:23:31

I'm sure it's due to the sprite tampering with the battle mode.

I did test that with 4 4 this summer, but I'm not sure how to make them work with Glitch Pokemon $C8 and onwards since trainers appear instead, since the Pewter Museum method for battles and stats didn't seem to work in terms of all glitch Pokemon, while for battles, it only works for the Mew Glitch obtainable Pokemon. But with that code on+the wild Pokemon battle mode lock, it's not enough otherwise. I think it should be possible since I did see this in the past. https://youtu.be/CnuuRz4hcIM?t=31

Edit - Just to note, it's CF90 in English Yellow.

Yes. Actually I think what I'll do is add the sprite anyway but note that the situation involved activating a Trainer battle, because it is caused by the glitch Pokémon at least.

What I do to try and get the 'actual' sprites for the 0xC8+ ones is encounter the Trainers in Viridian Gym, then enable the species modifier code only while the Trainer is about to send out a Pokémon.

You can work out the Pewter Museum exhibit code if you use cheat searcher to search for 182 (0xB6) while viewing Kabutops Fossil and 183 (0xB7) while viewing Aerodactyl Fossil. This should give you about three codes or so but one of them is the exhibit modifier. I'll go and find it for you for Red/Green in case you don't have it as well, one moment.

Edit: Found it. :) Modify CF78 or use 01xx78CF. 0x1F froze my game without loading a sprite even with 0102EFC0 and 0102F0C0 on though :(.

Date: 2018-08-26 13:38:21
Alright, I didn't figure how to forcefully encounter non-Mew Glitch Pokemon in the wild, but I found a way to view invalid glitch Pokemon in stats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrwNxIQwpME

All you have to is set CF90 to a value that is a glitch Pokemon hybrid like $EF and then view the glitch Pokemon's stats. Doing so on a regular Pokemon will have their own glitched sprite it seems, especially for Pidgey and Sandshrew which already has a known glitch hybrid Pokemon.

Now I need to figure how it controls the Trainer range and its sprites. 4 4's effect was possible to see during the wild because it's not in the Trainer range for 200-255. And I want to know what will happen if $ED is encountered in the wild, because it may have some difference. I wonder if it will act similarly to Japanese Yellow's Missingno. I could try the same for #207 glitch pokemon family and the #202 family as well if it's even possible to do it in the first place, since no person has ever done it before.

Date: 2018-08-26 14:47:10
Edit: Found it. :) Modify CF78 or use 01xx78CF. 0x1F froze my game without loading a sprite even with 0102EFC0 and 0102F0C0 on though :(.

Maybe you got unlucky. Because I got it on both v1.0 and v1.1, although the latter did show for a split-second before displaying the blank box again.
v1.0
[img]https://i.imgur.com/EQ8Yyz2.png[/img]
v1.1 Just before it returned displaying the blank box.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/7bQitne.png[/img]

Date: 2018-09-08 16:45:16
It seems 4 4-like sprites and #205 family Pokemon doesn't change no matter what sprite bank I put in (CF90), Even if I edit values on where the sprite pointers are. but it works fine for that crazy $EC and $F4 glitch Pokemon for Yellow. Is it because of the base sprite dimensions instead of actual dimensions having a 0 which treats it as 256? Putting a 0 in these glitch Pokemon just results longer load time. Female Symbol does the volatile effect when VRAM 8150 is 0, but if you change it, it removes that effect, same with Yellow Missingno. BGB can allow you to edit ROM values, but it's temporarily since it doesn't save it when you close the emulator. For 4 4, it only partially changes the look, but not the effect. Same goes for $ED in Yellow, same with the #205&#211 family glitch Pokemon. Something finicky is going on with those glitch Pokemons sprite dimensions, if it's not a zero value in their sprite pointer that's causing it, then it's probably something somewhere else entirely.

Date: 2018-09-09 05:54:52

It seems 4 4-like sprites and #205 family Pokemon doesn't change no matter what sprite bank I put in (CF90), Even if I edit values on where the sprite pointers are. but it works fine for that crazy $EC and $F4 glitch Pokemon for Yellow. Is it because of the base sprite dimensions instead of actual dimensions having a 0 which treats it as 256? Putting a 0 in these glitch Pokemon just results longer load time. Female Symbol does the volatile effect when VRAM 8150 is 0, but if you change it, it removes that effect, same with Yellow Missingno. BGB can allow you to edit ROM values, but it's temporarily since it doesn't save it when you close the emulator. For 4 4, it only partially changes the look, but not the effect. Same goes for $ED in Yellow, same with the #205&#211 family glitch Pokemon. Something finicky is going on with those glitch Pokemons sprite dimensions, if it's not a zero value in their sprite pointer that's causing it, then it's probably something somewhere else entirely.

I can't remember the specifics about base dimensions and actual dimensions other than the base dimensions are found in the base stats data structure and the actual dimensions are found by following the pointer and getting the beginning value, but yeah maybe the base structure having a 0 nybble in it may be causing the issue re: it not changing even if you edit the 'actual' dimensions. $EC and $F4 don't have a 0 nybble in the base structure dimensions but do in the 'actual' dimensions.

Another thing that's relevant is that R/B Family 205 gets its front sprite from VRAM (8E8F), while 4 4 gets it from an unbanked region (0510). For Family 205 even though some of the RAM can be banked, I'm unsure if the indices>sprite bank relationships apply here. For 4 4/Family 250, any sprite pointers between 0000-3FFF are unbanked, so the relationship doesn't apply in this case either.

Posted by: joshuarpl
Date: 2018-12-29 16:27:29
So, is there any reason why pokemon like 4 4 corrupt the sound banks? Maybe it is the oversized sprites, maybe it is something else?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-12-29 19:28:09

So, is there any reason why pokemon like 4 4 corrupt the sound banks? Maybe it is the oversized sprites, maybe it is something else?
It doesn't corrupt the sound banks, it switches to sound banks that don't exist.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-12-30 10:13:07
It corrupts the sound bank selection, and that's because of the oversized sprite's decompression.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-12-30 17:40:21
Basically, all sprites in RBY are stored in a compressed format so they could fit all 151 (plus back sprites) in, but glitch ones obviously don't care about being the right size, so the parts of their sprites that don't appear end up in other places, such as the Hall of Fame data with MissingNo. and 'M.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-12-30 18:53:49
To put it more clearly, part of the decompressed data spills past the intended decompression buffer, and into first the Hall of Fame, then misc RAM, including eventually the selected sound bank

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-01-01 18:08:06

To put it more clearly, part of the decompressed data spills past the intended decompression buffer, and into first the Hall of Fame, then misc RAM, including eventually the selected sound bank
at that point isn't like half of WRAM trashed?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-02 14:58:41
Hence, Super Glitch.