Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

A Beta place? - Page 2

Re: A Beta place?

Posted by: Papa Doc
Date: 2007-04-05 21:28:45

Really, a glitch like this could use probably any text string in the game– the fact that "special" appears a lot could be pure coincidence, and the word "special" could've come from any part of the game– it could even be a (very unlikely) combination of random letters that just happen to form the word "special".

true,hey Torchikcens can you put the cursor on it?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-04-08 21:47:11
The term "Special" used in a location list is not a coincidence. I found it once with all the other locations in the game (some others of note are "N/A" and "POK?MON MANSION"). The list of location names is the one used for the Town Map, the Pokegear Map, and the Fly menu.

I've experimented somewhat with the Pokegear's map locations, and "SPECIAL" isn't used with the standard Pokegear locations that other locations are (though I stopped recording values when they started glitching up; perhaps there's an instance of SPECIAL or another of the different location names with a higher value).

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-08-27 17:31:12
I think this warrants a reply. SPECIAL in Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal is used for the second floor of Pokémon Centers, which houses the Cable Club rooms, Time Capsule, and (in Japanese Crystal), the "PokéCom Club" rooms [as English Crystal calls them in unused text]. Originally, Game Freak thought on using individual copies for the second floor (only in each Kanto location with a Pokémon Center, though) but they postponed that idea to Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.

If you play non-Korean Gold and Silver in SGB mode, you'll notice that the color palette will always be the same on the second floor of any Pokémon Center, which proves that it is indeed the same location. They intentionally disabled the Pokégear's phone (the game says you're "out of the service area") and the map will instead tell you your last known location. Eggs hatched in SPECIAL are like the map as well, as confirmed by the Poké Seer in Cianwood City, which is a NPC exclusive to Crystal.

Also, in non-Japanese Crystal, the warps to the PokéCom Club rooms are still there despite them replacing the map with the one from Gold and Silver.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-29 14:13:08
Thanks for the extra information Sato. :) Earlier I re-wrote the Special article.