Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

My crystal just went weird. - Page 1

My crystal just went weird.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2009-08-06 12:37:34
Okay, one second I'm just playing it, next second I get this really glitched up screen.
I managed to get a picture of it:
[spoiler][IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/coolcatkim22/Picture179.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
I couldn't do anything so I turned off the game and turned it back on. I don't know what could have caused it though, maybe the game's just old.

Re: My crystal just went weird.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-08-06 14:35:03
Maybe an internal battery?

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-08-06 14:45:00

Maybe an internal battery?

Possibly. I'm pretty sure that's one of the first symptoms of the internal battery drying up. Glitchuntress, how old is the game, and have you played it often since you got it? Did you buy it used?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-08-06 14:51:12
Sometimes you can get dust underneath the cartridge, so try blowing it, or a cotton bub, to carefully clean the pins, or the battery is dying out. It was like once, when I checked to see what my late brother's yellow, to make sure nothing went, and all I had the New Game and Option, so I went to new game and Oak was nothing more than a black rectangle. So, it could be dust, or the battery dying, or an effect of too much cheats.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2009-08-06 15:02:57
I don't know how old the game is, I got it from my brother and I think he got it from a friend.
It could possibly be the battery drying up, I've had it a while since my brother gave it to me.
It could have also been dust since I've kept it on my desk and my desk is pretty dusty.

Date: 2009-08-06 15:04:38
Yeah, unfortunately, it sounds like the battery's drying up. Try what Mutou said, though.

Date: 2009-08-06 15:28:29
It's possible the dust has gotten onto the pins, to cause it to fuck up. I've had my Pokemon Yellow since it came out, (My Red and Blue were replacements, when my old ones died, and I got G/S a while later, and Crystal on it's release date.) Sometimes, used games, have a lower battery life span, than brand new games, but yeah, it's either dust, or the battery is dying/cheats.

Date: 2009-08-06 15:32:33
It is also becoming completely impossible to play the Generation II Pok?mon games for any length of time. Unlike later games, which rely on flash memory for their save files
, the save files on both Generation I and II games are maintained only by an internal battery on the cartridge itself. Normally, these batteries can last for decades, however, the constantly-running clock of Generation II drains these batteries more quickly than in Generation I games, causing save files to be lost and unable to be recovered.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver_remakes

That's why I speculated it was a battery problem-they don't last long in Generation II games.

Date: 2009-08-06 15:43:31
My games have been fine for years. I had them since I was about, 13 (G/S/C - 2001). My Gold once, suddenly blacked out and I had to restart from scratch, when I was raising a Slowking. Mine have been fine for a long time, other than my Yellow is still screwy, but it's been okay. The game was brought new or used, then it is possible like Smurf said, it's possible the battery is failing, since I know my Yellow is failing, since my brother's Crystal suddenly wiped out when I kept getting a problem, when it kept saying: "THE TIMER ISN'T SET or THE TIME HASN'T BEEN SET", and I kept getting the data was corrupted when I didn't do anything, other than check a Pokemon's Pokedex number. So, we'll see what happens after you've cleaned it, glitchuntress.

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2009-08-06 16:18:34
Yea, something similar happened to my Red version o_O

I think Red was the first Pok?mon game I ever owned, followed by Blue, then Silver and Crystal (my sister had Yellow and Gold)…

My Crystal still works great, but I think Silver is just about dead… and I'm surprised my Blue is still working after 10 years o_O;;

Silver, last I checked, gave "TIME NOT SET", but the save file was still there…

And, I won't have to worry about Sapphire, Emerald, Leafgreen, Diamond, or Platinum for a long time ^_^

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-08-06 16:28:00
Time to trade over everything from Silver.

Date: 2009-08-06 16:44:11
Sadly when it was time to check the games, I always do it every month, and the data was gone, so I don't know what had happened to my brother's Crystal. My Gold, Silver, and Crystal are fine, hell even my Yellow data still lives, all though I do have YM sitting in my party (level 1, HP of 41/14 ??). I've had my games for many years, but I am surprised my Silver still works when I was messing with my brothers AR cheat cart (no idea where it is now), and I was messing around and I kept encountering shiny Celebis.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-08-06 20:29:10
Heres my solution to not losing my save file on my beloved Silver version: Just don't ever pick it up and play it again! XD Besides with the remakes coming out I might as well just keep my Silver version shelfed and safe in my GBA SP Pouch. I seem to have lost my Red version sadly. Its actually quite a shame because it had my favorite glitch pokemon on it. :(

Date: 2009-08-06 22:10:02

Yea, something similar happened to my Red version o_O

I think Red was the first Pok?mon game I ever owned, followed by Blue, then Silver and Crystal (my sister had Yellow and Gold)…

My Crystal still works great, but I think Silver is just about dead… and I'm surprised my Blue is still working after 10 years o_O;;
Silver, last I checked, gave "TIME NOT SET", but the save file was still there…

And, I won't have to worry about Sapphire, Emerald, Leafgreen, Diamond, or Platinum for a long time ^_^

Normally, these batteries can last for decades

(quote of my previous quote)

Your Blue will be fine; the internal battery should last for decades if it doesn't get dust in it, it doesn't rust, etc. Only the time feature of Gen. II saps the battery's life because the game constantly needs to keep the time.

Date: 2009-08-06 22:33:41
(Your revamps fucking kick ass. My only best revamp was of Mew, back in 06.)

Well, some of my games have had dust in them, before and oddly enough they were fine. Why not use the ROMs Glisp? I had to use the ROMs to get Charizard 'M .^^. Either age, dust, sometimes cheats, can bugger a lot of things up. A long time ago, my brother used too many cheats on his Crystal, and when he went to help Lance, stop the Electrode, they weren't there, they were gone even though he never went to one to capture/make it Faint. About a while later, he was able to get to them, so not sure what he did, to do that, but still. It's either:

1) Dust
2) Age
3) Cheats
4) Failing/out of place battery.

I still think my Yellow's battery could be a bit out of place, since when my GBC slipped out of my hands and landed on my foot, it's been a little screwy ever since.