Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Breakthrough Time??? Glitchy MAIL in Pokemon Gold!!! - Page 1

Breakthrough Time??? Glitchy MAIL in Pokemon Gold!!!

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2009-12-26 07:22:45
I have never seen or heard of this glitch before.  What I did was go to a Pokemon center, in Mahogany Town, I think, and booted up a computer.  I went to my own PC (my player is named LOUIS), and just for fun decided to check if I had any mail.  I was greeted by the following messages (I have removed blank ones so it's less to type):
Title: C [D(block)DOB(block)B

Title: blank

Title: EB9

Title: BB

Title: GB
Message: Plain blue screen, with no flower print or graphics of normal mail

Title: BOX5

Title: X10

Title: W

Title: [

Title: (Japanese symbol)(block)F

Title: GREEN[  CV (outside of message window, on the leftmost part of screen) ZMn

Note: This message also replaced the "to do?" in the "What do you want to do?" box with "P'r["…so it lookes like: What do you want P'r[o?

Title: Z    T

Title: OUIS

Title: S

Also, there were a LOT of messages that either had the title "GREEN" and a blank message, or a blank title and a message reading "GREEN".  There were about 61 messages total, including blank ones.

Has anyone else experienced this, or knows what this means?

Re: Breakthrough Time??? Glitchy MAIL in Pokemon Gold!!!

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-12-26 09:17:36
I had this happen several years ago, on Silver, after a lot of needless Gameshark usage: full mailbox, lots of glitched messages saying GREEN, etc. Never had it happen again, before or after. No idea what caused it either, though it sure scared me off Gamesharks for a while.

Posted by: Alagos
Date: 2009-12-26 11:25:10
It happened to me in Crystal, after I got a surfing pikachu and a GS Ball. I suppose it's a side effect of what bad clones do (Missingno. corrupted the HOF data, right? maybe it's something similar)

Date: 2009-12-26 13:08:30
Nope.  I have done no hacking and caught or encountered no glitches in this game.

Date: 2009-12-26 13:50:48
I guess you include cloning in the things you haven't done. If so (which is the only other thing I did), I don't know the cause of this too, maybe someone more expert does.

Date: 2009-12-27 18:44:18
Nope, no cloning either.  I basically haven't done anything to the game that shouldn't be done…except for cartridge tilting.  Hmm…

Anyway, I have an IMPORTANT NEW OBSERVATION!

The messages seem to change with either the time of day or the turning on or off of the game system.  What I observed last night and today:
~The blank message that froze the game now reads "EENBZBPCBIBqBTB9I  H  F  s9"
~The title of the message "GB" has changed to "……H"
~The title of the message above …..H now has a title of "(male symbol)Pa  :'Dq3A"
~The message below "W" now has a title of "  DHG  9999"
~(Japanese symbol)(block)F now reads "LaTP[P["
~The blank-titled message 2 spaces below "X10" now reads "Pk"
~The blank message reading "l    k" now reads only "    k"
~The message one space above C[D(block)DOBnC now reads "Kp" in one town's PkMn Center and "VO" in another's
~Z    T has had the first "x" deleted
~BOX5 has had the title changed to "a's PkMn", because I changed the name of my Box #5 to "a's PkMn"
…and many more changes

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-12-27 21:36:03
I had the glitch mail in my PC a long time ago and I never cheated.

Its most likely this glitch you are referring to:
http://www.glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Glitch_mail

My Silver Version suffered from this and it was most likely a side effect of a corrupted Mystery Gift connection.

Also, TRS Rockin'.com has info on this glitch too. My full story an knowledge of how this glitch behaves makes many of these accounts on here seem true and not just stories:

http://trsrockin.com/trainerhouse.html
A lot of the things mentioned there are what happened to my game. I managed to pull it off twice btw. Also, in my inventory, I came accross an item just called "?" When I used it the game froze. I discarded it after I learned that.

Date: 2009-12-28 02:55:04
When the glitch happened in my game, ?s appeared in my game too (x52 !!!) along with 5 exp share O_o The Mystery Gift guy wanted to give me another ?, without doing any Mistery Gift.
Also my text changed "randomly", but I deleted all the messages before observing any sort of "rule" in the changes.
I think that this kind of memory corruption is achievable by other means than Mystery Gift, because I haven't used it for a long time.

Date: 2009-12-28 08:59:20
Hmm… Let's see…
I did NOT:
~Corrupt the Mystery Gift
~Have any other text glitches (the "P'r o?" message is gone now)
~Battle any glitch trainers
~Attempt to catch ????? or any other glitch Pokes
~Clone any Pokemon
~Turn off the power while saving
~Memory hack

I did:
~Cartridge shift
~Recently break up Team Rocket in Goldenrod

I'm thinking maybe it was the cartridge shifting that did it?

EDIT: I just remembered that there is a new blank message that locks up the game!  It is now 2 spots down from X10.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-12-28 14:07:52
Yeah, this is typical glitch mail effects.  WOO GLITCH MAIL!

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-12-28 14:25:02
I officially state that Glitch Post has nothing to do with this. :ninja:

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-12-28 17:21:11
Before my Pokemon Gold save got corrupted my first file suffered from very similar effects. After encountering a glitch trainer in the trainer house (a result from encountering ????) I went to check my mail in the PC. I had various 'glitch-mail' that I had to delete one by one.

This was several years ago though back in about 2006, but I might try to investigate to see what bytes effect the trainer encountered in the trainer house.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-12-28 22:29:37
This glitch actually can be beneficial. I got all of the Mystery Gift ornaments for my room this way.

The first time I had the Mail glitch happen, I got a stable trainer. He had no name just "PKMN Trainer Wants to Battle."

His first pokemon was a Pinsir which was ironically at level 127(its national pokedex ID number btw.)
his second and final pokemon was a level 0 Venonat. my level 80 or so Ho-Oh made short work of both of them.

The second time this glitch happened I ended up with an unstable trainer called        9.

After you beat his first pokemon, text will appear saying "          9 is about to send out ????? will Max change pokemon?

When      9 sends out the ????? it uses the sprite of his previous pokemon. Then the game locks up sometimes displaying the 2 Player "WAITING…"

Date: 2009-12-29 10:07:46

I officially state that Glitch Post has nothing to do with this. :ninja:

*smack*

Also, I think another possible symptom may be battery leakage.  Right before I had it happen, I turned on the game and it told me to reset the time.  I did so, played for a while, then turned it off.  When I turned it back on a few hours later, it told me to reset the clock again.  But it's been fine ever since, so no harm = no foul.

Date: 2010-01-20 20:03:23
Okay, I finally think I know what causes the changed messages:

Catching a Pokemon.

There is data related to Pokemon boxes (BOX5/a's PkMn/name of the 5th box) in the Mialbox.  After I caught a Quagsire, I discovered that many of my messages were changed.  For example, the message that once froze the game now displays glitchy text, and they are now TWO messages that turn the screen completely blue!

I have a crapload of screenshots, also.