Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Gold version save corruption abuse - Page 1

Gold version save corruption abuse

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-09-17 07:09:55
I've just been watching Werster routing Any% Gold version on Gold.  He has some interesting bugs that he's been finding methods for and expects to complete the game in under 2 hours, maybe even under 1:30.

The major things I've seen so far are using 27 Pokémon in the party to distort areas of the map to bypass parts of the game, and fainting the whole party so that battles end instantly (can beat elite four without even battling!)

I think there will be some very interesting developments coming up in this game that will for sure be worth researching!

Re: Gold version save corruption abuse

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-09-17 10:58:28
Fainting the whole party should be the fastest way to complete the game without save abuse since it can be done early.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-09-17 11:44:20

Fainting the whole party should be the fastest way to complete the game without save abuse since it can be done early.

However, that combined with map corruption with 27 Pokémon allows him to access the Magnet Train early, bypass Snorlax in Vermilion City and access the Elite Four from Route 22.

Werster did that apparently (I only started watching his routing late), so technically he's beat the first part of the game and he or someone else can theoretically do a TAS of it in record time but he now has trouble getting the map corruption to work again without a freeze and wonders how he's going to get to Red.

Edit: In Spanish Crystal, you can use the ????? (00)'s second-type trick to board the Magnet Train early, but I haven't had luck with the Vermilion City Snorlax. (For reference, Spanish Crystal map modifier codes are 01xx47D1 01xx48D2 and there is a list of Gameshark codes here and here)

It's a shame, as it probably would take up more time catching loads of Pokémon if you could bypass Snorlax and access the Elite Four this way.

Date: 2013-09-17 16:29:49

How, without save abuse? :o

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-09-19 02:47:29
I forgot getting a ????? (FF) requires save abuse. *facepalm*

Date: 2013-09-19 05:03:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdRCduygvU

Date: 2013-09-19 07:31:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdRCduygvU

He did it? Cool! Will watch all of this later. Did he find out what causes the freeze when viewing the party? I had a go at getting 27 Pokémon myself on an emulator but got the freeze he got on Tuesday.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-09-19 15:05:03
Wait, save abuse on Gold Version? What's this about?

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-09-19 15:27:54

From what I gathered, it's basically working with "the power off during saving method that you use to get clones/bad clones/celebi" to exploit the game in order for it to work towards your advantage. Apparently you can use it to empty your party, thus allowing you to use 20 something pokemon, emptying your party to defeat every enemy instantly, and much more.

It's a pretty neat concept, but it's very risky if your not good with the timing.

Date: 2013-09-19 15:34:19

It's not like the Red/Blue/Yellow save abuse glitch you might be thinking of where you get 255 Pokémon.

This is basically using the bad clone glitch to obtain a ????? (00) , taking it to daycare to convert it into a ????? (FF), putting it above other Pokémon to trick the game into thinking the Pokémon above it only count as Pokémon, then using move Pokémon w/o Mail to obtain 7-12 Pokémon, then using withdraw to withdraw a lot of Pokémon, corrupting a lot of bytes in memory, like Pokédex data because you're planting data into bytes that follow on from the bytes of the last valid Pokémon.

For some reason, when you have around 27 Pokémon, under certain conditions (apparently the nickname can affect this though I haven't seen concrete proof) viewing your party can cause map corruption. This map corruption is the main glitch used in Werster's run, as well as the instant victory glitch.

Edit: Even with lots of Pidgeys called Geodude like in Werster's run, I get a freeze on opening my party :/. It freezes on both VBA and BGB.

Posted by: Patashu
Date: 2013-09-19 18:06:52

Edit: Even with lots of Pidgeys called Geodude like in Werster's run, I get a freeze on opening my party :/. It freezes on both VBA and BGB.

Have you tried Bizhawk, the emulator werster was using?

Date: 2013-09-19 20:20:35
35 minute cut, this time he didn't get trolled by the game as much when trying to distort (and had some experience with which patterns work and which don't)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSbMi4QP-GQ

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2013-09-19 21:57:44

35 minute cut, this time he didn't get trolled by the game as much when trying to distort (and had some experience with which patterns work and which don't)

I watched that run live :D

Date: 2013-09-20 00:25:15

I watched that run live :D

I was in bed, hahah

Date: 2013-09-20 05:58:45
It is suspected that the corrupted tiles that he is able to generate are due to some sort overflow of the data that would be written to the screen by the party menu. This explains why there are differences when using the tm menu and the party menu to view them (although the former tends to cause the game to reset).