Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Crystal wild Shiny ACE? - Page 1

Pokemon Crystal wild Shiny ACE?

Posted by: Netroshin
Date: 2019-01-29 13:22:49
Hello everyone :) This is my first topic here. I have learned a lot here and got a question to the Crystal game on VC.

There is the red gyarados at the lake and I am wondering how it is coded to be shiny. I already know the glitch about the TM25 and boxnames, thats not what I want.
I want it like the gamesharkcode "910730D2" but just with glitches. It can be anything: code from the red gyarados, DV manypulating or the HEXcode 07 for the battle. (01 is wild, 07 Shiny and 09 Trainer).
Is it possible to code something like that? You code other games in the game so I think there is a way to glitch this :D

Best regards Netro

Re: Pokemon Crystal wild Shiny ACE?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-30 07:03:52
910730D2 sets the battle mode to 07. This battle mode changes, as you mentioned, all wild battles to Shiny ones but also prevents the ability of running away. It used to be a misconception that you cannot run away from any Shiny, but in fact this just applied to 07 battle mode Shinies i.e. the story Red Gyarados (and maybe some other scripted special D230 battle mode Shinies).

According to IIMarckus, D230:07 Pokémon always have DVs of 14/10/10/10.

Also in regards to your below question, you may be able to use with ACE and code this, with a program that calls the wild battle routine(s) with D230 set to 07. Or you could set DVs to above. This would be EA in the Attack/Defense IV byte and AA in the Speed/Special DV byte. You can find these codes on the GameShark codes page you just need to swap the last two pairs of digits to get the big endian form if it's needed (like 30D2>D230). Hope this helps. :)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-01-30 11:13:35
Evie, he's on VC, he can't do ACE.

OP, VC is very restrictive due to being inaccurate. If your 3DS/2DS is hacked, try the Retroarch emulator core. It's not quite full speed on old models (it's close), but New models (N3DS, N2DS but only the foldable ones) run at full speed.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-30 12:30:41

Evie, he's on VC, he can't do ACE.

OP, VC is very restrictive due to being inaccurate. If your 3DS/2DS is hacked, try the Retroarch emulator core. It's not quite full speed on old models (it's close), but New models (N3DS, N2DS but only the foldable ones) run at full speed.

Oh OK.

I think I made an assumption that ACE works on Crystal VC. It does on RBY GS (including correct Echo RAM emulation). Sorry about that if it doesn't work.

Your best bet for no ACE if you want another Red Gyarados is possibly to clone the regular one or perform a bad clone glitch. It's been a long time and I believe there are methods which are a lot more optimal.

One option (but complex, keep in mind) is this glitch (trade a bad clone over from G/S from Hall of Fame SRAM glitch or ACE (if allowed)), but instead of 251 happiness use 130 happiness; and for fully accurate Red Gyarados DVs, use Stantler holding Polkadot Bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsgvv1EzmU

Hope this helps.

Date: 2019-01-31 13:26:36
I play on VC thats right. I already know how to read gamesharkcodes as HEX values^^
So anyway I will search for the battle indicator to change the "wild battle" to a "Shiny battle". I think its better than change all DVs to 10 in case to get more powerful DV values.
So why you cant ACE crystal on VC? I hacked the game on BGB, got the savefile to the VC Game  (my 3DS are all hacked) and had a randomgenerator for the buttons in a trainerbattle. Like "pokemon plays itself" :D
Afterall I found for a RAM writer to do that on VC. But I never did that.

I will post here if I find something to do that on G/S/C.

Date: 2019-01-31 17:34:42
VC is too inaccurate to let ACE work, IIRC. I might be wrong on whether VC has ECHO Ram support, but it's required to get ACE.

(Even if it does have support, you really shouldn't use it while doing things like playing with glitches or ACE due to its stupid-low accuracy.)

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-02-01 02:34:47
Wow, I did not know either that ACE was not a thing on VC Crystal. As Evie mentioned, it works sufficiently with RBY and GS, I never had any issue, so I was guessing it works with Crystal too.
What it the issue, exactly?

Date: 2019-02-01 06:42:10

Wow, I did not know either that ACE was not a thing on VC Crystal. As Evie mentioned, it works sufficiently with RBY and GS, I never had any issue, so I was guessing it works with Crystal too.
What it the issue, exactly?
Doesn't Gen 2's ACE methods need Echo RAM?

Date: 2019-02-01 07:02:19
Yes, but that's not a problem for VC. It's a shitty emulator but it supports Echo RAM  :)

Date: 2019-02-01 07:28:39

Yes, but that's not a problem for VC. It's a shitty emulator but it supports Echo RAM  :)
Oh. Whoops.

Still shouldn't be used to do it, since it's inaccurate and ignores unknown ops and such.

Date: 2019-02-01 13:07:49
I pretty much agree that it's better not to. But, is the invalid opcode thing a problem? I mean we don't put invalid opcodes in our ACE codes anyway, since they are supposed to be invalid  :D

Date: 2019-02-01 15:15:31

I pretty much agree that it's better not to. But, is the invalid opcode thing a problem? I mean we don't put invalid opcodes in our ACE codes anyway, since they are supposed to be invalid  :D
if you fuck up it can potentially be stopped by an unknown op. If they're ignored, it could do worse. Case in point: https://youtu.be/oQZMVo_Fmrs

Date: 2019-02-02 04:18:52
Ah yes, it makes sense indeed  ;D Thanks!

Date: 2019-02-02 21:20:47
I found a way to make wild pokemon shiny using the 1st pkmn in the party on lvl 7 with holding an ultraball.
But I just need to write it down, so I am searching for a good RAM writer for the english version on VC. I will reply if I was successfull :)

You also can check my code here:

$0988:
ld a,(DCE0)
cp a,02
jr z,09A7

$09A7:
ld a,(DCFE)
cp a,07
ld (D230),a
ld a,(ff00+A4)
ld b,a
ld a,(ff00+A8)
ld e,a
xor b
ld d,a
and e
ld (ff00+A6),a
ld a,d
and b
ld (ff00+A7,a
ld c,a
ld a,b
ld (ff00+A8,a
pop bc
pop de
pop hl
pop af
ret

Underneath the "ret" needs to be filled out with 00 until $09E6 (included)

PS: Is there any chance to code this on VC via ACE? Because the code is written on ROM0 :D I hope so and will have a look for a RAM writer.

Date: 2019-02-02 22:45:33
You'd have to rewrite it for RAM-based execution, so patching jumps, etc.

Coin Case ACE is probably your best bet, since you'd be able to write it in boxed Pokemon names or items or both or smth, but yeah… Do you own the VC version legit, what version of 3DS/2DS do you have and is your 3DS/2DS hacked?