Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Digression about VC inaccuracy - Page 1

Digression about VC inaccuracy

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-03-01 15:18:30
don't use VC. VC is inaccurate as hell.

Re: Digression about VC inaccuracy

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-03-01 17:11:18
Lolwut? Cloning on VC Crystal works fine. The timing's just a little trickier. You have to restart the game after the last period in the "SAVING… DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER." message appears. Tap the touch screen and press RESET on the VC menu.

Date: 2019-03-02 09:49:37

don't use VC. VC is inaccurate as hell.

I don't actually have a choice. That's the version I'm playing.
Once I completed the Pokedex, I'm good, I don't have to do particularly weird stuff with ACE
i mean… if your 3DS/2DS is hacked, I can fix the inaccuracy problem, but ok…

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2019-03-03 02:46:10
Telling someone to not use the VC version doesn't help anyone considering a lot of people bought the VC version for it's ability to transfer the Pokemon to current gen, the Celebi event, and having a Crystal file with no internal battery issues like the original games had. There are also some people who prefer playing a legitimate version of the game and not a dodgy emulator.

Anyway OP good luck. I completed the pokedex on Pokemon Crystal back in the day with trades and a coin case Celebi from my Gold version. When the virtual console games released I picked up VC Gold and completed the Pokedex in that game as that is easy to accomplish with the coin case trick. I never picked up VC Crystal and thought it would be harder to get all 251 for the reasons you mentioned. I remember trying to perform the Celebi egg glitch on Crystal years ago and ended up deleting my save file so I never really messed with it after that.

Date: 2019-03-03 20:33:57
There are also some people who prefer playing a legitimate version of the game and not a dodgy emulator.

You, uh…

You do know…

You do know that VC for GB/GBC isn't accurate worth a shit, right? That VC is a dodgy emulator?

The only VC type that's accurate is GBA, and that's because it's running on the 3DS' ARM7 (used for DS/GBA back-compatibility.)

I can embed a ROM into a standalone RetroArch Gambatte core. Gambatte is quite a bit more accurate than VC, so I offered it. (I only do this for people who own the VC copy, they have to pull their own ROM from the VC copy.)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-03 22:04:56

VC is a dodgy emulator

This is true.

Telling someone to not use the VC version doesn't help anyone considering a lot of people bought the VC version for it's ability to transfer the Pokemon to current gen

This is too. Let's leave it at that.

(I'm not sure exactly what it checks as I haven't used it, but I'm pretty sure Bank wouldn't detect a RetroArch or Gambatte inject.)

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2019-03-04 03:51:52

You do know that VC for GB/GBC isn't accurate worth a s**t, right? That VC is a dodgy emulator?

My wording was off. By dodgy I meant illegal. Regardless people should respect what version people play their games on.  Even with VC's issues I respect someone more for playing that version because at least it's legitimate and they payed for the game. 

No, I don't mind because VC Crystal even with its problems is STILL an official release.
A Retroarch emulated Crystal may be more faithful to the original Crystal from 20 years ago, but it doesn't really matter. VC is an official release, that's how you are supposed to play the game today on a 3DS.

This.

So how is the run going now? Reading the steps you wrote earlier it seems a bit tedious and not as fun imo. I enjoy the aspect of trying to catch all the Pokemon I can available in the game, and for the ones I can't get use glitches. Using one code to get them all after a long setup seems a bit dull but I guess it's faster..

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-03-04 08:13:25
Maybe this should be split into a separate thread, but I'm going to drop my opinion here anyways, we'll see.

No, I don't mind because VC Crystal even with its problems is STILL an official release.
A Retroarch emulated Crystal may be more faithful to the original Crystal from 20 years ago, but it doesn't really matter. VC is an official release, that's how you are supposed to play the game today on a 3DS.

That I can't agree with. VC isn't a release, it's the same game, bundled in their own (bad (very)) emulator. It's an official emulator, but by no means a new release.
There are already plenty of debates regarding such re-releases, and people's opinions differ, so we probably should agree to disagree and move on (this includes nobody piping in to criticize others buying an inaccurate emulator when better free ones are available, even if they think so.)

Also, ALL I have to do with ACE… Is just catching Pokemon. That's IT.
Does such a simple task require emulation accuracy?

That I do agree with. VC is a thing that exists, and unlike VBA, it has a thing exclusive to it - being playable without hacking your 3DS. Let's just help people and avoid bitching about it before actually helping. (I have a strong tendency to do that as well, I'm not directing this at Parzi.)

Posted by: ympyrätesti
Date: 2019-03-04 10:13:59
Obligatory "building pokecrystal wouldn't give you the differences in the VC version". Saves would probably still load the same if someone wanted to switch between the two, unless the VC version changes the checksum or something…actually, that'd be worth testing.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2019-03-04 10:25:13

Saves would probably still load the same if someone wanted to switch between the two, unless the VC version changes the checksum or something…actually, that'd be worth testing.

When Torchickens was testing my GS Memory editor, she managed to confirm it to work on VC.

I'm assuming this means she prepared a save the memory editor already setup, and then loaded that onto VC. Either that, or she manually wrote the payload herself, in which case I severely applaud her patience.

This is of course assuming the same applies to VC Crystal.

Obligatory "building pokecrystal wouldn't give you the differences in the VC version"

Of course not.

Posted by: Link_enfant
Date: 2019-03-08 10:08:22

As for the debate on that VC thing:[…]So, FOR ME, if you're playing in a 3DS, the VC version is the most legitimate (not accurate) way to play the game.[…]

I'm curious to know if there are any VC emulation accuracy problems that can be actually observed in regular gameplay (not talking about glitches, ACE or such) compared to real hardware or more accurate third party emulators for Crystal?
I know there are some odd (though minor) differences in G/S, like the title screen ending earlier (cutting the end of the music) and the HP/Exp bars of the attacker Pokémon not disappearing during the attack animation, but those aren't present in VC Crystal, which - at first glance - make this version appear to be at least more accurate than VC G/S.

Date: 2019-03-08 22:49:51
make this version appear to be at least more accurate than VC G/S.
It's all the same VC version, just a swapped-out ROM.

Actually, that's not true, there are 2 versions, but it was just improvements to sound output (OUTPUT TO THE 3DS, not handling the GBx side of it.)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-09 12:18:19
This was split from this thread: https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=8670.0

For the most part, both are still perfectly readable.

I'll be making a sticky in Glitch Discussion to clarify that emulation differences matter when playing with the code at a base level as a lot of "modern glitches" do.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2019-03-09 12:53:22
I feel that the use of VC should be strongly discouraged whenever it is seen, to prevent frivolous "glitches" and questions.

Seeing the use of VC makes it difficult to determine whether or not the issue lies with an actual problem with the ACE code/glitch itself, or VC's terrible emulation accuracy.

Date: 2019-03-09 14:42:53
I can inject a ROM into RetroArch's Gambatte core, and it becomes a standalone game, like VC. It looks a lot like an actual VC game. If they extract the ROM from a copy of the actual VC title, I can just do this for them, they can install it, and can pull their save too.

Hell, I can even add more features, like rapid-fire, screenshots, fast forward, custon controls, rewind (N3DS/N2DS only), all kinds of good shit.

there's no real loss to it, and it makes the game accurate.

i'll probably extend these services to those using stock VC, since i'd require an extracted ROM from a VC title.