Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Battle Tower Lati@s glitch - Page 1

Battle Tower Lati@s glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-08-02 11:13:21
The Latios glitch (video) apparently lets you catch Battle Tower Pokémon in the wild by going in the Battle Tower, losing (I don't know if you need to lose), encountering a roaming Latios and then defeating it. This causes a 'Trainer' to send out another Pokémon, (Level 100 Jigglypuff in G-Mizuka's video) but you can catch it.

Question is, does it work in NA Ruby or on Sapphire (with Latias)? My NA Ruby save file seems to have caught the roaming Latios, unfortunately. :(

I have a Japanese save with a roaming Latios, though.

Re: Battle Tower Lati@s glitch

Date: 2015-09-19 16:45:09
*Bump*

A couple of months ago a user named SailorJupiter sent me a private message with some great news that the Latios glitch works on US Ruby!

I unfortunately couldn't find the time to try it earlier on, but I decided to try it out today and got the glitch to work with both an English Ruby and English Sapphire ROM. I was able to capture a Battle Tower Pokémon holding an item without it turning into a Bad Egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjqMC_p024A

Save files of beaten Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire with roaming Latios and Latias available:

Ruby: https://mega.nz/#!E51lEYAL!2gdB7jbUl-btN_bGto2DZwYJghCWG-pZpP_SPR-N2po
Sapphire: https://mega.nz/#!V8tkFIjD!8IwPTNdqMB86wn_-VZEZ-icQ9GusY2bCz70cSgmSVyQ

Below are some of my questions. I will try to answer most of these tomorrow, unless someone else would like to answer some of the questions (I would be grateful).

Edit: Answered questions

1) The roaming Latios roaming TV flash if your character in Ruby is female always being there was apparently an accidental memory editing thing (not a glitch).
2) The glitch does not work on (English at least) Emerald
4) Defeating all the glitch Battle Tower Trainer's Pokémon causes the battle to end with no victory text.

Remaining questions:
3) How far can Pokémon caught with the Lati@s glitch be transferred through the generations?
5) Can the glitch be performed in FireRed/LeafGreen with Trainer Hill Trainers or another Trainer and Raikou, Entei, Suicune?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-09-21 08:56:59
Oh, that's very nice!

I hope this glitch is not fixed in french versions, I will test this asap and maybe try to answer some questions.

Posted by: Metarkrai
Date: 2015-09-22 17:02:10
Well, after few more tests, I finally understand more clearly what happens with the Roamer Rematch.

In RS (Jap, US, Fr) (and every EU version), opponent party slots 2 to 6 aren't cleared when a Roamer is encountered.
If one of these slots contains a Pokemon that is able to fight (not a Bad Egg, not KO), this Pokemon will be sent out in battle if the roamer is killed, like the game would do in a normal trainer fight.
This can only happen if your last battle before meeting the roamer was a trainer fight, and if you lost that trainer fight, (an opposing Pokemon in slot 2 to 6 must be alive when you lost the fight).

If you make a wild encounter before meeting the roamer, the opponent party slots will be cleared and there won't be any opposing Pokemon in slots 2 to 6 anymore.

Since sending another Pokemon was only supposed to happen in trainer matches, the message boxes displayed when another Pokemon is sent into battle use the trainer name of the last battled trainer, which is in many (if not every) case the trainer who had the Pokemon you're currently fighting against.

As this is a wild battle, you can catch any opposing Pokemon you want.
Catching a Pokemon will trigger the catching sequence, and end the battle.
If you win the battle, nothing (apart gaining exp) will happen, and you'll be back to the grass.
If you flee, well, you flee, and it ends the battle.
If you have "Shift" mode enabled, and if you chose NO when the game asks you about switching Pokemon (after killing one opposing Pokemon), this will be counted as you trying to flee (like it would do if one of your Pokemon dies).

And since it's a Roamer battle, every Pokemon will try to flee when sent into battle.
And if the Pokemon flee, the battle is over.
Thus, if you want to see multiple opposing Pokemon, you'll either need to OHKO them or to trap them with Shadow Tag / Mean Look / Spider Web and kill them slowly.

Also, as it's a Roamer battle, if you end the battle by killing every Pokemon or by catching a Pokemon, the Roamer will be considered beaten/caught and he won't appear again in Hoenn.
However, if you end the fight without killing everything/catching a Pokemon (by fleeing, losing, or letting an opposing Pokémon flee), the Roamer will still be considered "Roaming" and you'll still be able to meet him, even if he has 0 HP remaining.

If the Roamer has 0 HP remaining and if you perform Roamer Rematch Glitch, you'll directly face a Pokemon from the previous trainer instead of the roamer.

Since the opposing Pokemon you're meeting with the Roamer Rematch glitch come from the remnants of Pokemon data of your previous opponent's Pokemon, their IVs won't be affected at all by the Roamer IV storage glitch.
Roamer IV Storage Glitch : When a 3rd gen roamer is generated, its PID, IVs, Level, Species,.. are stores in specific adresses in order to recreate the Pokemon data of the roamer everytime he's met. But in RS/FrLg, the IVs double-word is stored as a byte, which means that the recreated IVs double-word of the roamer can only take values of 0000 00XX.

All the Pokemon you'll meet with the Roamer Rematch Glitch will be trainer Pokemon.
Thus, if you catch them, it will be the same thing as you stealing them directly from the trainer.

When you catch a wild Pokemon, its ID/SID couple is changed to yours. If the ID/SID couple of the Pokemon was originally different from yours, changing it will completely screw up the Pokemon data substructures as well as its checksum, transforming it into a Bad Egg.
However, you will keep the Dex entry as you're in a wild battle. (If you were stealing Pokemon in Trainer Tower or in Battle Frontier, you wouldn't have any Dex Entry as the Pokedex is disabled.)

In RS, the only Trainers' Pokemon that have a ID/SID couple equal to yours are Trainer Tower Pokemon. Thus, they are the sole Pokémon you can steal and keep as valid Pokemon.
(The reasons for this are unknown, as it's not a really important data generation gain, and as the only useful thing I see in this is to keep shinyness and ownership of Battle Factory Pokemon in Emerald.)

You can use the Roamer Rematch Glitch to shinyhunt in Trainer Tower. This is quite an interesting hunt since you'll meet evolved forms of Pokemon taken from a huge pool of trained Pokemon, but its flaw is that you can't catch the first Pokemon (as it'll be replaced by the roamer). Thus, you have a 1/3 chance of meeting an uncatchable shiny.
You also need to be cautious and lose the battle without killing the shiny, or you won't be able to see it with the Roamer Rematch Glitch. (You can't forfeit during a battle in RS Trainer Tower, unless you use a Glitch Move to change the battle type into a wild battle and flee.)

You could think of Secret Base Trainers, but their Pokemon have a randomized ID/SID couple each time you face them. (Shinyness isn't even kept)
Thus, you can't clone one of your Pokemon with this method, even if this wouldn't be an efficient cloning method at all.

However, you can use Secret Base Trainers to meet and catch specific Pokemon and obtain their Dex Entry.
And this can be pretty interesting with Glitch Pokemon, as their Dex Entries can either be :
- a normal Pokemon entry (it provides the entry that Pokemon)
- an entry of Decamark (a cool Dex Entry)
- a glitched entry (lots of japanese characters overflowing, as in US/Eu RS games, they aren't replaced by blank characters like in US/Eu Emerald)
- a freeze/soft reset

I don't know what were the things that made the game freeze/soft reset, so this might be useful for code execution. (it's not something I can for now test)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPXFVCCVAAAXvFK.png[/img] [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPXFVGeUYAAHAm4.png[/img] [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPXFVEpUsAAKo7j.png[/img]

This glitch doesn't work in Emerald or FrLg, as encountering a Roamer clears the other opponent party slots.
Meeting a swarm Pokemon also clears these party slots. (I tried it since swarm Pokemon and Roamers are stored and generated in a similar way).

The supposed Infinite Roamer Glitch was something I noticed on my Ruby save, and I discovered that it was linked to my save not having the flag for the beginning Tv News (with the player's father) as well as different flags on the word  containing the Tv News flag.
I have no idea about the causes of that, since that save was made to hunt Mudkip on console, so I had no reason to make some teleport to skip the utmost beginning of the game, and as I cheated after getting Mudkip in order to get the first badge and get my 2 other shiny starters from a trade at Odale.
But this is an old story and I might have forgotten things, so I'm waiting until I can get my hands back on the first Gameshark snapshot I have of that file in order to try to unveil the truth.
In curiosity, I checked RS roms and I found no trace of a clearflag command for the Tv News flag, (but that could be done inside a special sommand, I don't really know about that) so I really can't conclude about that glitch.
I objectively think that I screwed something up and that this glitch is a lucky unwanted consequence, sorry.

The stolen Trainer Tower Pokemon, they can at least be transferred to 6th gen (I don't know the main checks done during Pokétransfer), as they're Pokémon coming from 3rd gen who only happen to have weird IVs (they're all equal), and as 3rd->4th and 4th->5th transfers don't check things like that on Pokemon coming from 3rd gen.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2015-09-22 19:19:02

3) How far can Pokémon caught with the Lati@s glitch be transferred through the generations?

The stolen Trainer Tower Pokemon, they can at least be transferred to 6th gen (I don't know the main checks done during Pokétransfer), as they're Pokémon coming from 3rd gen who only happen to have weird IVs (they're all equal), and as 3rd->4th and 4th->5th transfers don't check things like that on Pokemon coming from 3rd gen.

I'm pretty sure in most cases they can reach Gen 6 except if it's a special case like event legendaries. Info like breed status and location are lost upon being transferred to Gen 4 and their met level is lost upon being transferred to Gen 5 (it's replaced by the level it was transferred at*), so all that's really up to be checked is ball legality, which isn't really a big deal.

*you may need to level up your poké to a legit level if it would be otherwise underleveled, like a lv 50 Tyranitar, otherwise its met level will be wrong forever after being transferred. Anything over level 70 should be legit iirc.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-09-23 04:55:57
Great work as always Metarkrai! Thanks for the explanation ;)

I was about to ask you about this glitch on PRAMA's Skype group but it seems you saw everything by yourself :D

Date: 2018-11-29 17:44:10
*Bump with more information*:

It appears you can use this glitch to encounter the second Pokémon from the Trainer you were recently linked from a link battle in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za92Q5L3A3A

Therefore, this may be a way to catch Decamarks (obtained in another game with Pomeg data corruption glitch)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-11-29 20:31:42
That's…uhh…quite the big advance. :o

I can't say I understood everything that was going on in that video, though. Was the second Pokémon from the linked trainer's team a Decamark? A Registeel? A Deoxys? And why did it need to be level 0, if that was a necessary part?

Date: 2018-11-30 10:31:06

That's…uhh…quite the big advance. :o

I can't say I understood everything that was going on in that video, though. Was the second Pokémon from the linked trainer's team a Decamark? A Registeel? A Deoxys? And why did it need to be level 0, if that was a necessary part?

I wondered that as well! If the mechanics are approximately the same as the Tower glitch, then perhaps it was just a Shiny Deoxys in slot 2. I don't know whether it has to be at Level 0, and it looks like the Deoxys had no ability. It also has the nickname (Registeel) but seems to really be just a Deoxys.

Watching their other videos and reading their other blog posts, they seem to be quite an expert at Pomeg glitch. Here is their blog. http://detelony.blog.fc2.com/

Edit: In this video they obtain a Level 0 Shiny Deoxys with Pomeg glitch, from a regular Registeel. First the Registeel is modified with the glitch, and then a Registeel Egg seems to be traded on to another game(?) and hatched as Shiny. Later it is converted into a Deoxys. During the process, it becomes a Cleffa, and glitch moves are removed on Pokémon XD (even though VaePomegGlitch said Pokémon XD doesn't like glitched Pokémon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qRGQacKRm0

Posted by: Lost-Paisley
Date: 2019-04-16 12:33:49
I'm glad there's a topic on this because I recently decided to try this glitch out on my Sapphire version (US) and it works! However, I've been having a few issues with it that I'm kinda hoping someone can explain to me why this happens.

So I found a Tower trainer whose mon I want; this mon was the 2nd one sent out, a Breloom (their 1st was a Wailmer and I killed it.) After losing to it and searching for a couple a minutes, I found Latias, killed it and the glitch triggered.
But instead of a Breloom the glitched trainer sent out a Mawile. Now I'm assuming this Mawile was the trainer's 3rd mon, but I lost to the 2nd which was Breloom so I should've gotten that one instead. I've had this happen twice, why did I not get Breloom? This confuses me since in Chickasaurus' video they lost to Dustox and after killing Latios they had it get sent out.

In another instance, I lost to another trainer's mon, this one being their 3rd, a Gyarados. When I did the glitch, I got what I wanted this time and yet I clicked Fight by accident. This is what gets weird: I had a Wobbuffet out (thus Shadow Tag is in effect) and yet the Gyarados somehow fled. Why did this happen?

I did manage to find it again though and catch it; kinda weird how it'll appear like any other wild mon:
https://i.imgur.com/4Q9rLmQ.png

I'm just kinda confused on why I had these strange instances happen with this glitch.  :-\

Date: 2019-04-19 13:53:24
Sorry to hear about this. :(

I'm unsure, and think the "third Pokémon" detail might not be correct and if wonder if losing the the first may have given your Breloom.  It might be in the need of additional research.

Thanks for your post pointing this out, and happy you managed to get what you wanted in the end. :)

I'll look into this.

Date: 2019-04-19 19:45:55

Sorry to hear about this. :(

I'm unsure, and think the "third Pokémon" detail might not be correct and if wonder if losing the the first may have given your Breloom.  It might be in the need of additional research.

Thanks for your post pointing this out, and happy you managed to get what you wanted in the end. :)

I'll look into this.

If it helps, with the trainer's Gyarados fleeing I didn't just switch into Wobbuffet; I had Wobbuffet out since the beginning of the Latias encounter because encountering Latias without encountering another mon before it was extremely difficult without the Repel trick.

I opted for a lv.39 Wobbuffet and Max Repel so that I could find it easier (did this on route 110.) Shadow Tag was a bonus, and Mirror Coat+Psychic typing made killing Latias easier.

I can replicate the fleeing trainer mon, I tried again and had a trainer Mightyena also run away when I clicked Fight and had Wobbuffet out. I expect this kind of behavior from Mean Look/Block/Spider Web, but maybe the glitch temporarily forgets Shadow Tag is in play?

I actually changed my target mon from Gyarados to Bellossom :D got lucky with a trainer whose 1st mon I lost to had Bellossom as their 2nd mon.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-04-19 20:14:30

In another instance, I lost to another trainer's mon, this one being their 3rd, a Gyarados. When I did the glitch, I got what I wanted this time and yet I clicked Fight by accident. This is what gets weird: I had a Wobbuffet out (thus Shadow Tag is in effect) and yet the Gyarados somehow fled. Why did this happen?
I spent hours digging through the decomp when this was posted and honestly have no clue what caused it. Having something with Shadow Tag out is supposed to stop the roaming AI from activating. It would make sense that encountering something using this glitch messes with the AI, but I don't know how exactly that would result in the opponent fleeing. Someone with more knowledge on this might know.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-04-20 11:52:27

I spent hours digging through the decomp when this was posted and honestly have no clue what caused it. Having something with Shadow Tag out is supposed to stop the roaming AI from activating. It would make sense that encountering something using this glitch messes with the AI, but I don't know how exactly that would result in the opponent fleeing. Someone with more knowledge on this might know.
Direct calling of the fleeing function? Maybe?

idk just trying to be helpful ;-;

Date: 2019-04-27 02:18:19
I did an experiment, and also to show off this oddity here's a recording of the trainer's mon fleeing:

https://youtu.be/QP19sj3HaWw

I wrote down some stuff in the description of the video, but to get to the point: I tried to see if I could prevent the trainer's mon from fleeing by sending out another Wobbuffet and see if Shadow Tag will take effect (since if I attack with the 1st Wobbuffet it'll run.) It didn't work. :P