Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

[Question]: Decamark Glitch causes Leaf Green to freeze - Page 1

[Question]: Decamark Glitch causes Leaf Green to freeze

Posted by: pMD
Date: 2016-04-07 07:55:47
Hello there,

I have a Leaf Green save file which I had traded the "Question mark" glitch to. I left the "Question mark" glitch at the Daycare but whenever I try to take it back, the game freezes permanently.

My question is this: Is there any way to remove the "Question mark" glitch from the Daycare by changing occupied by the glitch values or by using other methods?

Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks in advance!

Re: [Question]: Decamark Glitch causes Leaf Green to freeze

Posted by: Metarkrai
Date: 2016-04-07 10:02:45
By "Question mark", are you speaking of a Pokémon with HP that fell below 0 (HP with a value of ?35 or something like that), or of a Glitch Pokémon you obtained using Pomeg Glitch ?

On the second case, do you know the identifiant of the Glitch Pokémon you had ?
If not, do you remember some details (name, type, things like that), that would help identifying it ?

I tried depositing and withdrawing Glitch Pokémon at Day Care, but I didn't get any freeze.

When is the game freezing exactly ? (when the day care lady talks about gained levels, when deposited Pokémon are shown, when the deposited Pokémon is taken back and its cry is heard,..)

I might have ways to help you remove that Pokémon from day care, but I would like to have more information about what happened.

Date: 2016-04-07 10:50:03
By "Question Mark", I mean the Glitch Pokemon (??????????) that is obtained by using a GameShark code for a Pokémon that doesn't exist. I received it ~11 years ago as an egg via trade from a friend.

The name of the glitch Pokemon is ??????????, it's normal type and it is able to produce eggs when I put Ditto at the daycare. Immediately after I receive the generated egg, the state of the egg is "It's making sounds. It's almost ready to hatch!" and it's Trainer Memo is "An odd Pokemon EGG found by the DAY-CARE couple.". This is the glitch Pokemon that hatches from the egg: http://imgur.com/a/KZ3kN

When I try to withdraw the glitch Pokemon from the Daycare Lady, my game freezes when the lady says "If you want your ?????????? back, it will cost (x amount of PokeDollars)." The music is still playing in the background, but the gameplay is frozen.

As an additional note, I remember some years ago that when I tried to play this save file after 1 or 2 years of inactivity, the save file was deleted. I did some hard resets and the save file was restored but the PokeDex was resetted at 0 Pokemon. After some extra hard resets, the PokeDex was back as well.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you want extra info.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-04-08 05:12:14
Are you sure the game is indeed locked up (by waiting a few minutes) instead of just loading an incredibly long string?

Date: 2016-04-08 08:20:04

Okay, so that's from a certain Glitch Pokémon you obtained through the use of codes.
There isn't A Glitch Pokémon in Gen III, but man of them (species bewteen 0x19C and 0xFFFF are Glitch Pokémon).
But in FrLg, Glitch Pokémon with a species higher than 0x19C are called ?????????? in their summary, as well as in some other cases (like during hatching).
That change (compared to RSE) hasn't been applied in PC, so you can still see the beginning of the species name of your Glitch Pokémon there.

And here, I think that your freeze is caused by a specificity of a certain Glitch Pokémon.
Thus, I'm trying to find back the species of the Glitch Pokémon you have.

Do you have a way to extract your save ? This would be the easiest way to know which Glitch Pokémon it is.
Else, I will need pieces of data like types, special abilities, number of egg cycles, name lenght, beginning of the name, base stats,..
Using you pictures, we know that its first type is Normal (its second type could be a glitch one) and that its 1st special ability is blank (maybe both of them).

Check the beginning of the name of your Glitch Pokémon in the PC and take it to the woman on Two Island too (the one in the northest house). That woman reads the species name of the first party Pokémon, and the game crashes if the name is too long.
If you can trade that Pokémon to an Emerald/Fire Red version, that would provide additional data to pinpoint your Glitch Pokémon more easily.

Date: 2016-04-08 10:00:06
Answering to camper, yes. I had left my console running for 1 full day and after I checked it again, the gameplay was still frozen.

Metarkrai, you can see its name here - http://imgur.com/F7NIKcz. The egg hatches after 255 steps while having a Flame Body Pokemon in the party.

Do you want me to send you the .sav or the .pkm file of the glitch?

Edit: The same "freeze" happens when the glitch is leveled up.

Date: 2016-04-08 11:49:45

Answering to camper, yes. I had left my console running for 1 full day and after I checked it again, the gameplay was still frozen.

Metarkrai, you can see its name here - http://imgur.com/F7NIKcz. The egg hatches after 255 steps.

Do you want me to send you the .sav or the .pkm file of the glitch?

Edit: The same "freeze" happens when the glitch is leveled up.

I would like the .sav file please.
I think with the beginning of its name and few things on its summary, I would have pinpointed the specied of your Glitch Pokémon, but if you have a .sav file of it, testing will be smoother.

The game freezes for certain Glitch Pokémon when levelling them up.
I'm unsure if this freeze is caused by the stat increases caused by the glitch experience curve (the Pokémon gain too much stats), by a Glitch move the Pokémon wants to learn (I doubt it, but maybe), by an important amunt of moves the Pokémon wants to learn (he wants to learn like 5-6 moves or more, and the game freezes when trying to store all of them), or by an evolution (I've never been able to make a glitch Pokémon evolve, so I don't know if evolving them is possible, and what could be the requirements).
It is also very easy to freeze the game when removing a Glitch Move, as the glitch move name overwrites stuff that's needed for the current script.

The different summary structure in FrLg is also oftenly glitched with Glitch Pokémon. Aside the graphical glitches, it allows you to scroll down on party slots behind 6th party slot (as well as scrolling past the 30th Pokémon of a PC Box).
But I didn't find anything interesting to do with this.

Date: 2016-04-08 17:18:01
Can I have an email where I can send you the .sav?

By the way, the glitch has the cry of a Bulbasaur.

Date: 2016-04-09 09:20:27
Yup, here's a contact email : metarsky01@live.fr

Its cry might be related to its Dex number, but I don't really know for now where that value is stored. (or if there's a kind of correspondance table somewhere)

Posted by: PokeBec
Date: 2016-04-10 03:14:06
If your goal is only to remove it from the daycare then this would probably work: trade ?35 HP pokemon to your game from emerald, perform the pomeg glitch turning your glitch pokemon to a bad egg. Withdraw the bad egg.

Keep in mind that you can not get rid of your bad egg in fire red/ leaf green.

Date: 2016-04-10 04:01:09

If your goal is only to remove it from the daycare then this would probably work: trade ?35 HP pokemon to your game from emerald, perform the pomeg glitch turning your glitch pokemon to a bad egg. Withdraw the bad egg.

Yeah, that was the way I wanted to do too.
I wanted to have more information about the cause of the glitch first, because if it's related to the Pokémon species, turning the Pokémon into a Bad Egg without changing its species could maybe not work.

It is also possible to remove Bad Eggs and clone in FrLg (unfortunately not in RS for now) using Glitch Pokémon like in Emerald, by seeing their species name on PC.
(cloning : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Mio5cA9fs / Anti-cloning : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDSJY0ScjzU )
For Leaf Green US and Fire Red US, Glitch Pokémon 0x3200 works. (50 Atk, 0 HP)

This Glitch Pokémon also provides invisible Bad Eggs (Bad Eggs of Pokémon n°0000) that are useful to perform Decaswitch, a way to perform Pomeg Glitch without relying on Pomeg Berries and 1HP/?35HP Pokémon. (Decaswitch : https://youtu.be/HhHlANrnOCI?t=13m )
This way, Pomeg Glitch can be easily done in FrLg without having to redo trades with Emerald.

Date: 2016-04-11 07:56:28

After I trade a ?35 HP Pokemon to my Leaf Green from Emerald, what do I have to do?

Thanks for your answer!

Date: 2016-04-11 12:00:34

After I trade a ?35 HP Pokemon to my Leaf Green from Emerald, what do I have to do?

Thanks for your answer!

Use it to perform Pomeg Glitch on your Leaf Green version in order to corrupt the Day Care Pokémon.

-Remove all Pokémon from Boxes 1 and 2.
-Buy Balls, Potions, Poke Dolls.
-Make a party with : KO Pokémon - KO Fly Pokémon - KO Surf Pokémon - ?35 HP Pokémon
-Save at Island 4 while surfing in the pond.
- Make a wild battle and flee.
Your 4th party Pokémon was sent into the fight
- Open your PC and deposit the KO Pokémon (not in boxes 1/2)
Now, your party has only 3 Pokémon, and the 4th party slot is empty
- Use a Potion on ?35 HP Pokémon to make its HP overflow to 0.
Now, your party is fully KO
- Make a second wild battle.
The game will send the "Pokémon" on the 4th party slot to the fight. Thus, an empty slot (n°0000) is sent to the fight.
Don't check the moves of the ? Pokémon sent in battle, or you would black out.
- Open the party.
The empty slot is moved into first party slot.
- Open and close the summary of the Fly Pokémon.
The amount of party Pokémon is recalculated. Because the first party slot is empty, the game thinks that there are 0 party Pokémon.
This makes the Party Pokémon Selection Pointer underflow : It can select 256 different party slots.
- Maintain Up for 10 seconds (90 Up pushes will work)
You need to scroll party slots until you reach the RAM adresses area that contains Day Care Pokémon
- Use a Poké Doll to flee.
Fleeing would make you black out and heal your party.
- Check if your Glitch Pokémon at Day Care was turned into a Bad Egg.
If no, reset and redo the Pomeg Glitch part.
If yes, try to withdraw him and see if the game crashes again or not.

Date: 2016-04-12 05:36:28
Thanks for the info!

I have sent you my save file. You can do some tests in order to confirm that the method you described above works.

I'll try to test as soon as I can. Feel free to put any pokemon in the save file, as I have removed most of them.

Date: 2016-04-12 09:47:42
Your Glitch Pokémon was Glitch Pokémon 0x05B8.
The issue was related to its level up. (the game freezes at one point of the levelling)
I tried to give it a Rare Candy at different levels, but the game still froze, so I don't really know the cause behind that freeze.

It has a short name (6 characters), and no specific thing.

And I confirm that transforming it into a Bad Egg allows you to remove it from Day Care as the game can't level up Bad Eggs.

I made a save of your game without the Glitch Pokémon in Day Care, along with few things (Invisible Bad Egg for pomeg glitches, cloning glitch Pokémon, Emerald in-game traded Pokémon, some PC Items)
I don't really know if that was what you wanted since you erased most of your PC/Bag contents on the save you gave me (I saw remains of PC Pokémon from a save editor), but here it is : http://www.petit-fichier.fr/2016/04/12/leafgreen-pmd/leafgreen-pmd.sav