Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Was Bad Egg intentional? - Page 1

Was Bad Egg intentional?

Posted by: blitzer
Date: 2007-07-05 19:45:31
read title
EDIT:Oops,wrong place,can somebody move this?

Re: Was Bad Egg intentional?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-07-05 20:01:34
Most people think Bad Egg was put in by Game Freak to "discourage" people from cheating. I think that's incorrect; my view on Bad Egg is that it is generated by improperly creating a Pokemon via cheating, thereby producing corrupt data which is interpreted as being a "bad" (corrupt) egg.

That's my $0.02 on the matter ;)

Date: 2007-07-05 20:34:04
Intentional Evidence:
1.)Bad Egg is both in the 3rd gen and 4th gen.
2.)It doesn't have a question mark or a glitchy name.

Posted by: Jesus
Date: 2007-07-05 21:09:38
Possibly. It is also possible that Nintendo was going to make so the egg could be used in battle, but would have no attacks or something, but decided not to, and something went wrong when they erased its ability to go to battle.

Posted by: Wicked Klown
Date: 2007-07-05 23:35:07
Well for one reason, why the hell would they make an egg a "Pok?mon", I say intentional.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2007-07-06 05:23:47
I think Bad Egg is a beta egg and the status message is actually an error message to say that it won't hatch. It was used during programming so the programmers at Nintendo and Gamefreak would know when the breeding process went wrong.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-07-06 13:21:22

I think Bad Egg is a beta egg and the status message is actually an error message to say that it won't hatch. It was used during programming so the programmers at Nintendo and Gamefreak would know when the breeding process went wrong.

I was going to say that.

Date: 2007-07-06 16:37:50

Nice…
Now,is Bad Egg intentional in discouraging sharking?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-07-07 17:56:51
No. Bad EGG usually appears where sharking has gone wrong. I have done loads of successful cheats, no Bad EGG. To get a Bad EGG I usually have to purposely ruin the code.

Posted by: rjaguar3
Date: 2007-07-07 20:39:31
I think Bad EGG is caused when the last byte of the data doesn't match a checksum.  Thus, by this evidence, it is probable that Bad EGG is designed to thwart some cheating.

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2007-07-07 21:34:59
This is my theory, but I've actually seen in backed up by some evidence in the past. Nonetheless, let me explain my beliefs here.

Since Bad Egg is commonly found from using cheating devices such as GameShark, I believe there is a high likeliness that the developers added it in to condemn such behavior. Knowing there is a glitch that could harm your game from using a cheating device could persuade you not to do so.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2007-07-12 15:56:00
A bad egg can appear if a pokemon's EV total is over 510.

Date: 2007-07-12 18:51:36

A bad egg can appear if a pokemon's EV total is over 510.

How is that possible besides cheating devices?31+31+31+31+31+31=186

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2007-07-14 06:18:42
I don't think it is, maybe people were trying to cheat for so called 'ultimate pokemon' by changing their EVs?  :D

Posted by: simulater10
Date: 2007-07-15 01:29:30
Yes.

–simulater