Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Was Bad Egg intentional? - Page 4

Re: Was Bad Egg intentional?

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-09-21 14:16:09
Yes. I do believe Bad Egg is intentional. My personal belief is that Game Freak was getting tired of people getting free Mews and Celebis, Pokemon that were not ever supposed to be caught in the game, so they put it in there to make sure that not everybody could get a Jirachi or Deoxys.

But that's just my opinion. Don't make much of this.

Posted by: rjaguar3
Date: 2007-09-21 22:19:39
After reading this (although it doesn't have sources), I'm convinced that Game Freak had to have put Bad Egg in intentionally.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-09-21 22:52:33
The Bulbapedia article pretty much says the same thing I've been saying throughout the thread. Bad egg is an error message, which is triggered as a result of corrupted data, and one of the ways data can be corrupted is if a Pokemon is improperly hacked. In this sense it is about as "intentional" as MissingNo and serves roughly the same purpose.

Date: 2007-09-22 12:11:29
I'm still certain they put it in to punish people who improperly hacked. It just seems that way. Isn't it just odd, how, if you do it just a little bit wrong, you'll end up with a Bad Egg?

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-09-24 18:12:57
I'm suspicious of it because it has a proper name. I mean, BAD egg? Not the kinda thing a random glitch comes up with. Of course, they could have used that to tell a good egg from the glitched one in beta testing.

Does it have its own hex or not. Seems odd if it didn't, make it hard to prgram in if it already shares a Hex with egg…

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-24 18:14:21
To make a long story short, it does.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2007-09-25 03:27:19

Does it have its own hex or not. Seems odd if it didn't, make it hard to prgram in if it already shares a Hex with egg…

Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen, FireRed: No
Diamond, Pearl: Yes

Posted by: rby4ever
Date: 2007-09-25 06:40:03
Isn't it just odd, how, if you do it just a little bit wrong, you'll end up with a Bad Egg?

No, it isn't. Make a batch file and type in one thing wrong. Guess what's gonna happen…

Bad Egg, like Missingno., was likely used as a "stopgap" for debugging. The game expects a value… but what if it doesn't get it? Or what if it gets a value it isn't supposed to under any circumstances? It'll freeze up, that's what!… unless you have it set up to do something even though it didn't receive any data.

You see, no matter how good of a programmer you are… you're human… and thus, prone to making errors. A single mistake will ruin the ability of the program to work properly… usually…

Worse, how the heck are you supposed to know what's wrong? It's very possible to look over the same code 12 times, and not see the problem.

By using a stopgap, such as Missingno., you narrow down the possibilities. If the game freezes, you don't have any immediate indicators as to why. But if you get Bad EGG on the screen… you know right away that something is either not putting out the right values for a Pokemon encounter… or putting false values. You then know that you need to look at anything relevant to setting those values, and nothing else.

Similar things happen with the "glitch city" trick of RBY. Depending on where you are when the timer runs out, you'll exit out of some building of a city (or a glitch city). That's the game saying "oh, we're not in Fuchsia anymore… the exit value doesn't match anything in this town… pick one of the default exit locations".

Another reason the Bad Egg likely wasn't included on purpose… as I understand it, there is potential for it to corrupt the firmware on the cart, and make it unbootable. Gamefreak would not purposely create a cart that could destroy itself.

What's more, if they wanted to, they could make a clean file deletion protocol instead of the chaotic mess that is the bad egg. The effects are hard to predict… that's another slight against the idea that they put it there willfully.

Posted by: rjaguar3
Date: 2007-09-26 21:06:41
But the fact that Gamefreak made it so that a Pok?mon was a bad egg iff its checksum value was wrong clearly shows that it was intentionally put in.  However, I don't believe Gamefreak thought through any consequences of what would happen if one kept the egg.

Date: 2007-09-28 14:30:32
From what I've heard, the game usually freezes when it hatches. Or, out comes a ??.

I'm also not ever getting Diamond/Pearl…but the fact that in those games Bad Egg has its very own Hex tells me that AT LEAST IN D/P they put it in with the intent to do so.

I still do believe it was intentional in Ruby and Sapphire.

Date: 2007-09-29 17:57:01
Is Bad Egg still as deadly in D/P as it is in R/S/E?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-09-29 20:55:21

If you catch it from the wild, it will freeze your game.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-30 09:44:12
:???: How do you find one in the wild with no hex
Anyway I just realized, it is like Ilsty and ? in GSC because of no hex…

Date: 2007-09-30 19:35:10

If you catch it from the wild, it will freeze your game.

So that makes it somewhat less deadly?

I always wondered about Ilsty too. I wonder what kind of Pokemon it was supposed to be…

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2007-10-01 02:11:02

:???: How do you find one in the wild with no hex
Anyway I just realized, it is like Ilsty and ? in GSC because of no hex…

It DOES have a hex in Diamond/Pearl.