Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Glitch battling club? - Page 2

Re: Glitch battling club?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-08-27 09:52:31
Well yes, to make clear some things that we can read here:

- Glitch Pokémon don't delete your save file, but Super Glitch moves, that they might have, can do it. It is however easy to avoid that, and you don't even need it if you read the glitchmon's stats and moves and whatever you would like to know through a Memory Viewer.

- There is no Glitch Pokémon that requires a cheating device only since we can execute code - so basically every gameshark code - without device using glitches such as 8F Code Execution.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-27 09:54:21
About deleting save files and glitches:

don't run an 8F/ws m payload unless you're really sure what it actually does.

Posted by: naf102
Date: 2016-08-27 10:36:13

Or unless you have a save state.

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-08-27 13:12:42
Back to the '''''''''''''''club'''''''''''''' thing.

Has anybody actually battled eachother with glitch Pokemon? How frequent are lockups and crashes?

How would you even decide the victor?

Posted by: Exegutt0r
Date: 2016-08-27 13:13:31

But there are still moves that can corrupt certain values of save or ROM values. They just may take a bunch of tries because they are just random.

1. ROM cannot be written to. RAM? Yes. ROM? No. ROM stands for read only memory. In other words, RAM is temporary. ROM is forever.

2. As far as save corruption goes, if that info was gathered from a Nintendo article and you believed it, GTFO. Nintendo is full of s**t. The only documented save-corrupting effects caused by glitch Pokémon are Super Glitch and name corruption in which the name is more than 10 or so characters. And even then you have to save manually, as the save function is a named function, and therefore it would be a HUGE long shot for anything to end up calling it. Did you even read the wiki? If not, don't come back to the forums until you've read every page.

Thank you very much for correcting me!

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-27 13:14:57

Or unless you have a save state.

But you wouldn't on real hardware.

Date: 2016-08-27 13:29:27
Again relating to my earlier post, This is a good idea, BUT, it will be a pain to do. We may be able to do it if somehow we make a save generator that spawn random glitchmon on your team and a emulator that allows pokemon r/b/y link battles online.

Date: 2016-08-27 14:42:03

Again relating to my earlier post, This is a good idea, BUT, it will be a pain to do. We may be able to do it if somehow we make a save generator that spawn random glitchmon on your team and a emulator that allows pokemon r/b/y link battles online.

I wouldn't say random glitchmons. Just previously acquired glitchmons. For the sake of non-lockups I'd say a 1v1 team would be cool. An emulator already exists called the TGB dual. Although, there's another emulator that's better that I can't remember right now. Like something like M vs a select glitchmon would be the fight.

Date: 2016-08-27 15:03:58

I wouldn't say random glitchmons. Just previously acquired glitchmons. For the sake of non-lockups I'd say a 1v1 team would be cool. An emulator already exists called the TGB dual. Although, there's another emulator that's better that I can't remember right now. Like something like M vs a select glitchmon would be the fight.

Not bad. I'd get the most stable pokemon and try to stabilize them even more

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-27 16:22:00

As for the random-Pokémon thing, writing random data to the Pokémon data areas of the save would work. For the emulator thing, here's a list of NetPlay-compatible GB/C emulators:
BGB
TGB Dual
Gamebatte (probably)
VBA (some versions)
Any emulator's RetroArch version (Best solution, as it runs on shittons of platforms, including JS, so we could have a RetroArch PAGE here, although visitors would have to supply the ROMs and SAVs, which is easy to do with temp files and uploading, and would eliminate single-use direct-IP connections)

Date: 2016-08-29 14:10:47
Well me and ravioli tried this 2 nights back. We tried it on JPN pocket monsters green version. We tried using the SELECT glitch but we got different results, using the same emulator and same item.  I got this thing: [IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2eeviph.png[/img]. [size=18pt]And he got a glitchmon that crashes the game on unicode opcode cc30 or cc60.[/size]

[size=14pt]EDIT: Forgot to add we were using the same save[/size]

Date: 2016-08-29 14:17:09
Well, since I've only tested this on console, not on emulator, it crashed on unknown opcode.

Thankfully, on console, the gameboy literally ignores the error and just rolls with it. But the emulator doesn't. Sucks too, the glitch Pokemon is quite cool.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-08-29 14:43:17
Thankfully, on console, the gameboy literally ignores the error and just rolls with it. But the emulator doesn't.

Actually, i have a emulator which completely ignores opcodes, on my phone. I can glitch the hell out of Debug Yellow (something like going out of bounds on Vermilion and the game, even though with majorly corrupt RAM\SRAM still goes on and lets me heal my Pokémon, then corrupts the screen data, then freezes with the critical-hp noise, the rival theme playing in background and the screen being pure vomit.) and the emulator's like "Naaah, screw the opcodes,  8) DEAL WITH IT GAME 8)." and the game's like "Plz crash i can't keep up anymooore :'(."
This proves that this emulator is amazing, however… it has issues with writing data to the Micro SD card, and fails (what did my 16GB Kingston do :(). This happens whenever i eject the card and run the phone without it.
It even survives the Memory Corruptions, unless the game crashes first.
I luv it ;D.