Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Pokémon glitch 'haxxed' moments - Page 1

Pokémon glitch 'haxxed' moments

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-19 11:17:45
Post the times where you've unfairly run into trouble while glitching. This seems to happen to me a lot when recording videos and I nickname them 'destroyer of videos' after a Youtube comment about how a wild Pokémon in Seafoam Islands was a destroyer of videos.

Moment 1: This happened when trying to 8F a "$'M" (hex:EF) in Red to level 248 (to be leveled up to 250) so that it can learn Super Glitch move A8 (which has an effect unique to Virtual Console RB). For some reason I thought of using a complicated method to do it; set up a Trainer-Fly on Route 8 (D601=1), change the Attack modifier to 248 (CD2E=F8) and then use 8F in battle to change CFD8 to EF. (I had a little trouble because my 8F set-up uses 5 Pokémon (meaning if "$'M" was in the party I probably wouldn't be able to change its level) and I didn't have the gift script set up for level 100+)

As expected, a level 248 Pokémon appeared on Route 8, but it was a Voltorb… that decided to use Selfdestruct on the turn I converted it into a "$'M" (hex:EF), oops! It's also funny because earlier when modifying CFD8 to EF in battle I was on Route 7 and the first two tries Growlithe used Roar, ending the battle and Pidgey used Whirlwind, also ending the battle.

Moment 2: Accidentally pressing A on an unterminated name glitch item, losing your save file (can happen by chance); oops!

Moment 3: Saving in a Glitch City but the next time you load your save file you're greeted with a game freeze (which may have been a 00 39 freeze for an invalid map connection).

Stable unstable Missingno. moments: Trying the 'stable unstable Missingno.' item underflow method and running into a problem like; 1) accidentally performing Trainer-Fly wrong for the long-range Trainer in Virdian Forest or even encountering a Pokémon in his sight, disabling Trainer-Fly. 2) failing to catch Gengar, or fainting it due to bad luck 3) losing against the Jr. Trainer in Pewter Gym when trying to reduce Diglett's Attack stage to 1.

Re: Pokémon glitch 'haxxed' moments

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-09-19 12:43:56
You should get homebrew on your 3DS. At least then you'll be able to backup and restore your VC savefiles.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-09-19 17:12:20
I've gotten into some unpleasant situations in Yellow Version thanks to the shenanigans involving save abuse, such as:

1. When I did it for the very first time, I decided to deposit some of the glitchmon to make the party look neat and tidy. However, the game reset and my save file was gone.

2. Somehow corrupting the map, making it impossible to get to Fuschia City or Cerulean City via Lavender Town, and causing the path to Mt. Moon to become a canyon that became an out-of-bounds area after a point. I really wish I'd taken a photo of this.

3. Somehow making it nigh-impossible to fly anywhere without one of the following happening:

4. Switching glitchmon around and somehow spawning a level 100something MissingNo.

5. Losing my beloved pseudo crystal Onix (the result of a pallet error that affected only him) due to a game crash not five minutes after I discover I have it. ;-;7 Wish I'd taken a photo of this too.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-09-20 01:00:35
I remember some tryhard when trying Cooltrainer on a save file overloaded with Pokémon - I didn't know about what could cause such difficulty with Cooltrainer. I spent days trying to have this one to work.
I eventually NEW GAME'd.

My second hellish moment was trying to capture Darkrai. To be clear :
* I have three different cartridges (Diamond x1, Pearl x2), plus two different saves on Desmume.
* I tried Fake-Sinnoh NN, WN, WNN, WWN and S on each save.
* I tried with the Pearl cartridges to the point of starting a new game and try with the minimal setup for tweaking (2 badges)
* IT. NEVER. WORKED.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-20 08:07:39

3. Somehow making it nigh-impossible to fly anywhere without one of the following happening:

[li]Arriving at the new location, changing the color pallet to turquoise and the game freezing.[/li]
    [li][/li]

[li]Triggering a battle with a Trainer named A, who sends out a level 64 3TrainerPoké.[/li]
    [li][/li]

[li]The game simply freezing right then and there.[/li]
    [li][/li]

Teleport to Pallet Town's overworld area, that should solve the issue.

I personaly didn't have any issues exept for that unterminated name crash removing my Blue VC save (the one with no badges, item underflow, and me randomly triggering WTW on the sea route near Fuschia by randomly switching items around)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-20 09:01:59

[li]Arriving at the new location, changing the color pallet to turquoise and the game freezing.[/li]
    [li][/li]

[li]Triggering a battle with a Trainer named A, who sends out a level 64 3TrainerPoké.[/li]
    [li][/li]

[li][/li]

Ouch, it sounds like your Fly flags may have got corrupted or one of the map script addresses. Sorry to hear about your Crystal Onix.

I remember some tryhard when trying Cooltrainer on a save file overloaded with Pokémon - I didn't know about what could cause such difficulty with Cooltrainer. I spent days trying to have this one to work.
I eventually NEW GAME'd.

My second hellish moment was trying to capture Darkrai. To be clear :
* I have three different cartridges (Diamond x1, Pearl x2), plus two different saves on Desmume.
* I tried Fake-Sinnoh NN, WN, WNN, WWN and S on each save.
* I tried with the Pearl cartridges to the point of starting a new game and try with the minimal setup for tweaking (2 badges)
* IT. NEVER. WORKED.

I've had difficulty with CoolTrainer too. It's a shame that the execution could stop working and in that sense LG could be seen as better.

That sounds frustrating re:Darkrai. The first time I used the Surf glitch for Darkrai on Japanese Diamond I think I got stuck in a wall and had to start a new game.

You should get homebrew on your 3DS. At least then you'll be able to backup and restore your VC savefiles.

It's just I updated my 3DS to be able to use the Nintendo eShop (I did this to buy the VC games) and don't want to disable being able to buy games there legally due to not being on the right firmware (and Nintendo could patch any new exploits). I suppose in theory there may be a work-around but don't feel like using homebrew.

Date: 2016-09-20 13:53:59

[li][/li]

[li][/li]

[li][/li]

Ouch, it sounds like your Fly flags may have got corrupted or one of the map script addresses. Sorry to hear about your Crystal Onix.

This is because Bert possibly was never in Pallet Town, or a flag for it is not set.
Also, that trainer is triggering the ZZAZZ glitch, so you can throw a ball at it and run.
The game always selects Pallet Town first, but because a flag for it isn't set, it will make you fly to a glitch fly location, which is mostly map FE at least on Yellow.

Date: 2016-09-20 14:33:31

It's just I updated my 3DS to be able to use the Nintendo eShop (I did this to buy the VC games) and don't want to disable being able to buy games there legally due to not being on the right firmware (and Nintendo could patch any new exploits). I suppose in theory there may be a work-around but don't feel like using homebrew.

There's a homebrew app to let you use eshop (etc) on firmwares that aren't the latest.

Date: 2016-09-20 14:37:55

There's a homebrew app to let you use eshop (etc) on firmwares that aren't the latest.

EmuNAND is also a thing.
It allows you to have a new version of the OS on your SD card, and have the old exploitable one on your 3DS itself, so you can still use homebrews while having the ability to use eShop and other stuff like that.
I have a American 3DS, but live in Europe, so that would be a problem, but now it isn't.

Date: 2016-09-20 14:45:43

EmuNAND is also a thing.
It allows you to have a new version of the OS on your SD card, and have the old exploitable one on your 3DS itself, so you can still use homebrews while having the ability to use eShop and other stuff like that.
I have a American 3DS, but live in Europe, so that would be a problem, but now it isn't.

>still bothering with an emunand
>not using a9lh

Date: 2016-09-20 14:51:47

EmuNAND is also a thing.

>not using a9lh

What is that a9lh?

Date: 2016-09-20 18:11:43

EmuNAND is also a thing.

>not using a9lh

What is that a9lh?

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

should tell you everything about that.

Posted by: TheUnReturned
Date: 2016-09-22 03:32:15
Usually get my ears destroyed by glitch music that keep stacking up each time I view a Pokemon during me playing with the save abuse in yellow

Once, my volume goes all the way up to 100 accidentally
You can imagine what happen

Date: 2016-09-29 10:59:19
Ok I got a new one.
This was on DebugYellow by the way.
By memory corruption, i got my Pidgeot's Fly replaced with a Super Glitch move, I have no idea what hex it was, but, I saved after getting the corruption (not the super glitch one), and when i Digged back to Viridian, I went to Route 1. Then i decided to replace my Pidgeot's "Door parts" or "NE#POKé###7-9POKé#G" a.k.a "HI JUMP KICK" with Mimic, when I backed out of the menu, I got some major music glitchyness, then slowed down variant of Route 1\2's music played, did this the second time and didn't get anything interesting, third time and when i canceled out, I got a text box filled with hex:7A characters. Forth time and I didn't return to the item menu, nor get the Rival's effect, and I got some usual Super Glitch effects that I listed down below.

My name was "| POKéMON|###########|_      |###########| ITEM  |###########|    _  |###########| ASHPKMNJACK##########|_      |##########| SAVE  |###########|    _  |ROCKETROCKET########| OPTION |ROCKETROCKET####??  ??  ??  ??  ##ROCKETROCKET  ??| EX        ##ROCKETROCKET      ______?? ##########        ##########          LE " The rest goes offscreen. After a while of walking, it shortened itself to end on the first "ROCKETROCKET". Then back to it's normal forme. Then i exited the hideout, returning to Rocket Game Coner (RGC) and, to my surprise, I couldn't use items anymore! And, the text box "YES NO thingy" was changed to display "NORTH  WEST", yeah game, I surely WEST to save the game.

Posted by: TheSixthItem
Date: 2017-06-22 04:06:45
Tried using cooltrainerand ended up with a 00 39 freeze