Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

Ditto Soul Silver glitch, it knows starter moveset - Page 1

Ditto Soul Silver glitch, it knows starter moveset

Posted by: Skyrro
Date: 2010-04-09 14:25:56
Several more glitches involving Ditto's transformation have been discovered in Generation IV as well. In the original Japanese Diamond and Pearl, due to an oversight in the programming of Transform, a Ditto will copy the Pokémon's held item in addition to its species, allowing rare items to be duplicated. Another glitch allows for Ditto to transform and then permanently keep the moveset of the Pokémon it became, allowing for the passing down of previously impossible egg move combinations in a large-scale version of Smeargle's ability to do so with all Ground group Pokémon through Sketch.

This glitch has been passed down to ALL versions of HG/SS, it requires a slight amount of luck. It is also advised that you have false swipe (as the Hp needs to be down to the single digits, REQUIRED FOR GLITCH) and a pokemon you want the ditto to know the move set of.

I was trying to capture a ditto after it Transformed into my starter, captured with an Ultra ball, and now look at it's moveset :XD:

[img]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Deidara-no-Boom/0320001554.jpg[/img]

Re: Ditto Soul Silver glitch, it knows starter moveset

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2010-04-09 15:09:16
That's really interesting. I'm going to go try this now and see if I can duplicate a Lucky Egg I have.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-04-09 15:30:05
I have this documented here http://www.glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Rage_glitch , I'd also like to add that the glitch works in all Generation IV games! If you combine it with mimic in a double battle, you can get any Pokémon able to learn mimic to have any move (and rage), not just Ditto, or Mew.

Posted by: Skyrro
Date: 2010-04-09 16:20:32
The pokemon who your copying needs to know rage? That narrows it down… anyway, this will be good for breeding for me, so I don't really care anyway :D

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2010-04-11 14:52:25
Hmm… this could be a problem for Wi-fi battles and things like the battle tower since people will have hacked Pokemon moves. Its pretty cool though since it can make ditto a decent Pokemon.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-04-12 00:08:43

Hmm… this could be a problem for Wi-fi battles and things like the battle tower since people will have hacked Pokemon moves. Its pretty cool though since it can make ditto a decent Pokemon.

Ditto IS a decent Pokemon. In fact a team of all Dittos can beat any team.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-04-12 08:25:56
Awesome glitch. Kind of like a Generation IV Q glitch, or even a new version of the Ghost MissingNo. manipulation from RBY. I gotta try this. By new egg move combinations, does this mean tranferring normally untransferable TMs, or Egg moves that were for some reason unobtainable?

Date: 2010-04-12 10:03:50

Awesome glitch. Kind of like a Generation IV Q glitch, or even a new version of the Ghost MissingNo. manipulation from RBY. I gotta try this. By new egg move combinations, does this mean tranferring normally untransferable TMs, or Egg moves that were for some reason unobtainable?

The glitch can be used to give a male Pokémon with Mimic any move; if bred with a Ditto, or female Pokémon the player can acquire movesets  for baby Pokémon which were previously unobtainable, such as a Marill with both Aqua Jet and Belly Drum.

It also allows the inheritance of moves such as e.g. Extremespeed to a baby Snorlax (if a Pokémon in the Monster egg group is used as the male Pokémon and is given Extremespeed by this glitch.) This is usually impossible because Pokémon from the monster egg group are those which cannot learn such moves in normal gameplay (e.g. Nidoking, Charizard)

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-04-12 16:25:06
Does that mean that a Flying Kangaskhan is possible again with some of these move glitches? I swear, Generation IV is almost nearly as buggy as Generation I. Kind of ironic huh?

Date: 2010-04-13 12:15:28

Does that mean that a Flying Kangaskhan is possible again with some of these move glitches? I swear, Generation IV is almost nearly as buggy as Generation I. Kind of ironic huh?

Yes, that is true; all you would need to do is give that Kangaskhan mimic, copy transform and perform this glitch. (Or breed such a Kangaskhan with e.g. a Ditto knowing fly.)

I swear, Generation IV is almost nearly as buggy as Generation I. Kind of ironic huh?

I agree, one would presume that such glitches would be sparse because it would be a lot more difficult to perform glitches such as the Celebi glitch and the Mew glitch which take advantage of the game's own data structure and the possible technical limitations to formalise it back in those generations.

On the other hand though, if Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver were built with the earlier engines from past generations we would likely expect a lot more glitches, many 'in-game structure manipulation tricks' would exist too, so perhaps we shouldn't be labelling these games as glitchy. Glitches such as the Pomeg glitch may exist not because of poor design but rather the vast amount of features and time as an important factor, which could make Nintendo overlook such things. The minor 'possible' but not distinct flaws in the game itself, seem to cause the significant glitches of Generation III and IV, which in a sense makes them be seen as 'major glitches'. The Pomeg Berry glitch for instance is caused by an oversight for just one berry in the entire game. In past generations there were less items, so in that sense these glitches could have been spotted more easily and in Generation I for instance, the '65535- HP' would probably be overlooked amongst other major glitches.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2010-04-18 08:14:51
You can forge Event Pokemon like PokePark EGG moves with this glitch. There is now no way to tell the difference.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2010-04-18 08:51:27

You can forge Event Pokemon like PokePark EGG moves with this glitch. There is now no way to tell the difference.

Some event Pokemon with special moves come in Cherish Balls, and if you can hack to get those you can hack the moves on anyway.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-04-18 11:33:49

Yes, that is true; all you would need to do is give that Kangaskhan mimic, copy transform and perform this glitch. (Or breed such a Kangaskhan with e.g. a Ditto knowing fly.)

Breeding a Kangaskhan with a Ditto that knows Fly would do absolutely nothing. Only moves that the Pokemon can know normally or special "egg moves" (which don't include HMs) can be passed down via breeding.

Date: 2010-04-21 15:56:58

Breeding a Kangaskhan with a Ditto that knows Fly would do absolutely nothing. Only moves that the Pokemon can know normally or special "egg moves" (which don't include HMs) can be passed down via breeding.

Ah ok, thanks.

Well, apparantly this glitch is not specific to Transform and is rather a glitch based on the behaviour of Rage (alone) itself. Smogon suggests that the move Rage cancels out the effects of not only Transform but also, Substitute, Confusion, Torment and Infatuation.

In this sense I guess that this (specific) glitch happens because when the "Rage is building…" message is recieved when the player is under the effects of Transform, the game will attempt to cancel out the effects of Transform without actually changing the moves and (temporary) battle sprite of that Pokémon back to the defaults. If that's correct I presume that would be why at the end of the battle the transforming Pokémon keeps those moves.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2010-04-23 15:00:50
Does all of this work on PBR as well? Not that I have it, but I'm curious. Maybe there's more for this glitch…