Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation VI Glitch Discussion

Lumiose City Save Glitch? - Page 1

Lumiose City Save Glitch?

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2013-10-14 09:56:43
I saved near a cab in Lumiose City and now whenever I try to restart my game it immediately freeezes. It loads my trainer and all of my clothes as well as the buildings and their lighting effects, but none of the objects in the streets or the textures on the buildings show up.

Pokémon-Amie is also frozen on my bottom-screen without loading anything and the game won't return to the Home menu when I push my button. I can hard-shutoff, but the 3DS internal software is completely frozen.

The only evidence I can find that anyone's had similar trouble is a single YouTube video uploaded by someone who speaks some Asian language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzxQhXyLJQ0

Anyways, I'm posting this both in hopes of informing everyone else playing the game, and in hopes of finding a fix that doesn't involve deleting my save.

It's probably a shot in the dark, but if anyone knows how to fix this, could you please tell me? I really don't want to start a new save file since I'm just past Clemont and only just managed to get my entire team to their final evolutions!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67488169

I'm somewhat surprised that people are reporting glitches already with X & Y, but then again I really shouldn't be surprised at all. It seems like a pretty big problem though, first the weird Egg and now this. Da fuck Game Freak?!

Re: Lumiose City Save Glitch?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-10-14 11:54:06

I saved near a cab in Lumiose City and now whenever I try to restart my game it immediately freeezes. It loads my trainer and all of my clothes as well as the buildings and their lighting effects, but none of the objects in the streets or the textures on the buildings show up.

Pokémon-Amie is also frozen on my bottom-screen without loading anything and the game won't return to the Home menu when I push my button. I can hard-shutoff, but the 3DS internal software is completely frozen.

The only evidence I can find that anyone's had similar trouble is a single YouTube video uploaded by someone who speaks some Asian language.

Anyways, I'm posting this both in hopes of informing everyone else playing the game, and in hopes of finding a fix that doesn't involve deleting my save.

It's probably a shot in the dark, but if anyone knows how to fix this, could you please tell me? I really don't want to start a new save file since I'm just past Clemont and only just managed to get my entire team to their final evolutions!

I'm somewhat surprised that people are reporting glitches already with X & Y, but then again I really shouldn't be surprised at all. It seems like a pretty big problem though, first the weird Egg and now this. Da f**k Game Freak?!

That's terrible! Hopefully a patch will be available soon to fix it like how Mario Kart 7 and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team have patches. I can't remember if those worked for retail games. Did they?

Date: 2013-10-14 13:42:55

I'm somewhat surprised that people are reporting glitches already with X & Y, but then again I really shouldn't be surprised at all. It seems like a pretty big problem though, first the weird Egg and now this. Da f**k Game Freak?!

That's terrible! Hopefully a patch will be available soon to fix it like how Mario Kart 7 and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team have patches. I can't remember if those worked for retail games. Did they?

According to someone on Reddit, they would have the patch in the eShop. For MK7 all the newer carts ended up having the fix in them, so maybe this will happen eventually for Pokemon.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-10-14 14:16:07
Similarily, I've heard reports of save files being corrupted after ~10 hrs or so. I don't no how much truth it holds, however.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-10-14 14:50:03
Didn't [Japanese] D/P have a similar bug if you saved in the upstairs of one of the Pokemon centres?

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2013-10-14 22:06:18
For MK7 all the newer carts ended up having the fix in them, so maybe this will happen eventually for Pokemon.

I got Mario Kart 7 in late June of this year (2013), and I still had to download the patch from the eShop to play online.

But anyway, this does sound like a serious glitch. I really hope they fix it soon! In the meantime, I'll be careful not to save in Lumiose City.

What the hell, Game Freak… what happened to quality assurance?

Also:

Similarily, I've heard reports of save files being corrupted after ~10 hrs or so. I don't no how much truth it holds, however.

I've heard of this happening on numerous occasions in Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and every time, it turned out to occur in a digital copy. Does anybody know if this is the case here?

Date: 2013-10-15 09:07:22

Didn't [Japanese] D/P have a similar bug if you saved in the upstairs of one of the Pokemon centres?

It did, though the cause was not the save, presumably anyway. You have to go into the Union Room from the second floor of the Pokémon League, go out, then enter the second floor of a Pokémon Center (I don't know if it has to be a different one or if it can be the same). It doesn't work on my Japanese Diamond, while the Surf through Aaron's room glitch does. I don't know if this means there were more than two revisions of the Japanese version, or if I'm just doing it wrong.

The Japanese Nintendo website revealed a way to prevent the effects of the glitch after you exit the Union Room.

I've heard of this happening on numerous occasions in Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and every time, it turned out to occur in a digital copy. Does anybody know if this is the case here?

Maybe. Japancommercials4U2's save file for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team got corrupted and that was a digital copy too, I think. (The video showing the corruption message seems to be either unlisted or deleted now unfortunately)

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2013-10-16 10:15:42
So it seems that a workaround was found that involves mashing the Home button as the game loads:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1ok1ve/psa_how_to_fix_your_frozen_pokemon_xy/

I'm curious to whether other people have gotten this to work.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-10-17 02:51:16
From what I've heard, this is because of the prostitution customers taxis in the city, which somehow mess with the loading of 3D models and textures etc (which is why the workaround supposedly works, because it gives the game time to load or something like that).

Never happened to me, luckily. I suppose if we want to figure out for sure, we'll need someone who's brave (or not that caring about their save data) enough to go and save in front of some taxis and see what happens.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-10-17 02:54:45

From what I've heard, this is because of the prostitution customers taxis in the city, which somehow mess with the loading of 3D models and textures etc (which is why the workaround supposedly works, because it gives the game time to load or something like that).

Never happened to me, luckily. I suppose if we want to figure out for sure, we'll need someone who's brave (or not that caring about their save data) enough to go and save in front of some taxis and see what happens.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of the E4. And I have a pretty good balanced team…

Date: 2013-10-17 03:55:06
I'd do it myself since I'm only playing Pokemon X right now and Y is sitting there dormantly, but I don't want to lose my extra Torchic.

Date: 2013-10-18 10:18:34
From Serebii:

12:26: Nintendo have issued a press release about the Lumiose City save bug, where the game can glitch out if you save in the boulevards of Lumiose City. They issued a map of where not to save, indicated by the blue gradient, and have stated that they are working on a fix and recommend saving in the buildings of Lumiose City if you have to save in the city at all.

[img]http://serebii.net/lumiosemap.jpg[/img]

Date: 2013-10-18 11:43:32
That's great to hear! So it only occurs in North and South Boulevard? Also, here's the original page for reference.

Date: 2013-10-22 02:49:28
So, there's a comment with some potentially informative information here, copypasta'd for your convenience:

The game does not have issues reading the save data. Actually, the game has no problems at all. The 3DS system, however, try to interpret too many information at the same time.

The game has a dynamic camera feature, but the 3DS system isn't thatp owerfull, so they developed a dynamic rendering engine, which means what isn't in your view or right next to your character does not actually exist until it enters one of these cases.

Upon loading, the last known camera position is also loaded. Then, some object is loaded as part of the environment and block the view of your character, meaning the dynamic camera will have to adjust itself, but the system hasn't fully loaded the previous objects. All this occurs when the system is loading your personal data, lauching the PSS system on the lower screen, and reading from your SD Card to retrieve your friends list (that's why removing the SD card prior to load your game may fix the bug). The system then hangs because of too many things happening in the same time.

Mashing home sends a higher call to the system, since it has priority over the game (because it comes from the hardware). Once the system process it, the 3DS goes to home and the game processing is paused, giving the system time to unload unnecessary things and reload the correct state of the game, upon resuming. That's why that is fixed.

Nintendo can change the moment the dynamic features kick in, probably postponing it until after all the personal data has been processed, so it wouldn't hang the system.less

If this is true, it explains quite a bit.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-10-22 04:46:18
Indeed. I've heard, however, that it only causes a freeze if you save in the affected areas before beating Team Flare at the Power Plant.