Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Arbitrary Code Execution Discussion

Numbers in a nickname - Page 1

Numbers in a nickname

Posted by: MewFlare
Date: 2017-04-03 15:10:32
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm posting it here since I can only assume that ACE is the only way to do this.

I was watching ChickasaurusGL's "Elite Six Glitch Masters" video and noticed that her glitch Pokemon all had numbers in their names. What kind of 8F setup would I need to stick numbers in a Pokemon's name?

I appreciate the help :)

Re: Numbers in a nickname

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-04-03 16:09:39
We receive a lot of questions about how to use 8F to do stuff. Sometimes these are very complex questions that requires some knowledge regarding opcodes, but sometimes, as it is the case with your request, you don't need to know much. This knowledge is already available here and elsewhere in the form of ready-to-use, well-explained setups in which you only have to change a few things using tables and lists that we also give and explain.

Although we are here to help people discover this glitch and how to use it, I would like to mention to you and all the others that will come after, that if you just read what is already available, you can already answer your question. In fact, I strongly advise you to document yourself about 8F before trying to do it, even if you just use a code that someone gave you. It is always better to understand what you do to use it the proper way.

Thus said, here's one answer to your question.

To get the 8F item, you can use the celadon loop as described here: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6638.0
As a proper Pokémon setup, you can use this: http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Arbitrary_code_execution#Using_8F_.28English_Red.2FBlue.29

Now, select the RAM address you would like to change using, for example, this list: http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Pokemon_Red:RAM_map
Here, let's say you want to change the letter 1 of your first Pokémon's nickname. This is address $D2B5.

Now, select the value you want to put in it using, for example, this list: http://glitchcity.info/biglist.htm
Here, let's say that you want to change that letter for the number "4". As you can see, it matches hexadecimal $FA.

(On a side note, understand that what you are about to do is asking for $D2B5 to take the value $FA. As a result, this corresponds to using the gameshark code 01FAB5D2).

To trigger the 8F code, use this item setup. It's a generic setup for one-value changing codes:
- Any item at any quantity
- 8F
- Lemonade xAA
- X Accuracy xBB
- Carbos xCC
- Poké Ball, x119
- Fresh Water x201

AA, BB and CC are decimal translation of the three red, blue and green values (your RAM address and the value to give to it). You can translate hexadecimal to decimal with the windows calculator, or just the abovementioned list (http://glitchcity.info/biglist.htm). Here, it says 250, 181 and 210.

Once you're ready, just use the 8F item :)

Date: 2017-04-03 17:32:02
Thanks for the really informative answer! But there's one small thing that's confused me. On the Data Crystal page you linked to it says "D2B5-D2BF - nickname for first" Does that mean that those are the values for the first Pokemon's nickname (such as D2B6 being the second character in the nickname) or do I have that totally wrong?

Date: 2017-04-03 18:01:12
Yes, that's exactly what it means  ;)

Also remember a name is always terminated with an end marker (hex ID 50). If your name is 10 characters long, the 11th and last address is the end marker. If your name is shorter, there is an end marker after the last character.

If you shorten your name using 8F, don't forget to place an end marker after your last character to "delete" every extra character.

Date: 2017-04-03 18:16:30
Ok good! 1 last thing I want to clear up- won't having a different 1st Pokemon in my party screw up the 8F code? Cause it says that the first Pokemon has to be the 233 HP Pidgey

Posted by: MegaLuxray
Date: 2017-04-03 19:34:44
There is an alternative 8F bootstrap that allow any Pokemon in the first slot.

Date: 2017-04-03 19:40:14
What is it?

Posted by: MegaLuxray
Date: 2017-04-03 19:41:08
-Any Pokemon
-Pidgey with 233 HP
-Parasect
-Onix
-Tentacool
-Arbok

Sorry, accidentally posted reply before I was finished typing.

Date: 2017-04-03 19:48:53
Sweet! I'll give it a try. Thanks a ton!

Date: 2017-04-04 00:35:50
You can also change the nicknames of Pokémon stored in the PC using the right RAM addresses, still available on the datacrystal link :D

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-04-04 04:17:06
We have a wiki page about 8F bootstrap setups : http://glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_8F_bootstrap_setups
We'd have to improve its visibility (it's at the end of the ACE page)

Date: 2017-04-04 20:31:20
Ok everything went as planned, but something strange happened while I was doing the old man glitch to duplicate my items. I found a level 160 Aerodactyl fossil Missingno and sent my level 7 normal form Missingno against it. In the process of running away it used Leer on me 3 times. On the fourth attempt to run it used Poison Sting and the game softlocked! What the…?

Date: 2017-04-05 06:38:58
The mysteries of MissingNo…. I'm familiar with sprite overflowing into the sound bank causing the game to freeze when regular MissingNo. is encountered using Ditto/Old Man glitches in European R/B, but it's the first time I hear about the kind of softlocking you describe.

Date: 2017-04-05 06:50:38
I guess Missingno vs Missingno is not a good idea :/

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-04-05 11:57:47
What was the last Pokemon in your party?