Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Game Glitches Discussion

Dragon Warrior Monsters series glitch hunting proposal. - Page 1

Dragon Warrior Monsters series glitch hunting proposal.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-02-24 14:31:44
Alright. Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest Monsters series is from Enix's Dragon Quest series. (called Dragon Warrior for the longest time outside of Japan.) You see with the enormous number of Monsters  in the Dragon Quest Monsters games and the fact they are a Monster Trainer RPG series like pokemon makes me wander if there are any Decimarks lurking within the game's coding.

I'd hunt for the Decimarks myself but I have other things I need to be doing plus I'm not really too good at making Custom Gameshark codes. If anyone is interested please come forth imediately.

There are a total of 5 Dragon Quest Monsters games.
the first one is titled just Dragon Quest Monsters
The second Dragon Quest Monsters game is similar but has two different versions: Tara's Adventure and Cobi's Journey. These and the first one are made for the original Gameboy but are the special Black Cartridges which means that they have full color Pallets on Gameboy color.

The Third game was not released outside of Japan. It was for Gameboy Advance.

The fourth and most recent game is for the Nintendo DS and is titled Dragon Quest Monsters- Joker.

The last game is actually just a 32 bit remake of Dragon Quest Monsters 1 and 2. It is for the Playstation 1.

Now that you know where to search for them get on it and help contribute to Project Caspar!

This is just a random side note but the reason why the art is so DragonBall Z Eschew is because Akira Toriyama, DBZ's Creator was the artist. (That has no relevence to the glitches but just a random fact that I thought you should know.)

Re: Dragon Warrior Monsters series glitch hunting proposal.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-02-24 17:37:33
I have ROMs of the first two Dragon Warrior games, if you know any "change enemy monster to some arbitrary value"-type Gameshark codes then I'd be happy to help in my spare time.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-02-24 18:28:23
I have Dragon Warrior Monsters 1.

[spoiler=EXTREME SPOILER WARNING!]THE MEDAL MAN IS THE KING, THAT DOOR THAT THE KING ALWAYS GOES THROUGH LEADS TO THE BACK ENTRANCE OF THE MEDAL MAN'S HOUSE! TERRY WROTE THE BOOK ON THE GUIDE TO MONSTERS AS YOU SEE LATER IN THE END! YOU FACE YOUR SISTER AT THE STARRY NIGHT TORNAMENT!  THAT SHOPKEEPER WHO NEVER SOLD TO YOU WILL NOW SELL TO YOU AFTER THE GAME ENDS!  THAT KISSY FACE MONSTER AND THE GOLEM THING BACK AT THE RANCH FINALLY REACH EACHOTHER BECAUSE THE GRAND TREE HAD SHIFTED AGAIN!  THAT ONE WOMAN WHO IS BLOCKED OFF BY SOME STUFF IN THAT ONE HOUSE IS ACTUALLY A MONSTER CALLED COPYCAT!  TERRY FIGHTS HIS OLDER SELF WHO IS CORRUPTED BY EVIL AND HIS EVIL MASTER SOME WEIRD JAPANESE NAME![/spoiler]

Date: 2009-02-24 21:39:59
That's great you guys. I'll see what I can do about finding codes for modifying wild Monsters. It may be kind of difficult though considering I haven't ever tried to really look for them. Actually I think I found some by accident once but It may have had to do with something else in the game.

I do want to say though that boss monsters cannot be tamed in the wild in case you didn't know that.
As for the Decimarks I'm not sure what will happen. The game may crash. Then again garbled graphics might appear. I'm not even sure if a decimark could be tamed. I do know that Dragon Warror monsters 1 would be the first game to check as it has fewer monsters to tame. I'm not sure if enix is any smarter than Game Freak or not when it comes to their games being hacked so I don't know. We could always have someone make a custom Wild monster encounter modifier code.

As I've already said I'd do this myself but I'm ill equipped for the job. I got roms for both DWM and DWM2 but I'm not very far into either game. Good luck to you guys. I'll see what i can do about locating a wild monster modifier code for you guys in case we can't make one right away.

Edit: I think I found something. Try it out and see: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbcolor/file/525414/17800

These codes are for DWM2: Cobi's Journey.

Date: 2009-02-25 17:58:55

That's great you guys. I'll see what I can do about finding codes for modifying wild Monsters. It may be kind of difficult though considering I haven't ever tried to really look for them. Actually I think I found some by accident once but It may have had to do with something else in the game.

I do want to say though that boss monsters cannot be tamed in the wild in case you didn't know that.
As for the Decimarks I'm not sure what will happen. The game may crash. Then again garbled graphics might appear. I'm not even sure if a decimark could be tamed. I do know that Dragon Warror monsters 1 would be the first game to check as it has fewer monsters to tame.

PROTIP: Sirloin on DWM1 is an instant tameness to the level 0 which means always obey and I have an item mod iirc.

Date: 2009-02-26 14:16:34
I'll see if I can come up with a modifyer code for the original.

I found some but I was kind  of disappointed when I noticed that all hex slots except for 00 were filled up. (Or at least from what I saw scanning through at least.)
Anyways Here is the list of hex values and monsters for those interested. (Who wouldn't be?):

How to run into the following monsters in the wild:

Type the following Gameshark code

01**03DA

Replace the ** with the monster of your choice

01 - Slime

02 - Slime

03 - Anteater

04 - Dracky

05 - Stubsuck

06 - Gohopper

07 - Gremlin

08 - Spooky

09 - Goopi

0A - ArmyAnt

0B - Healer

0C - Healer

0D - MiniDrak

0E - Picky

0F - PillowRat

10 - Hork

11 - DragonKid

12 - EvilSeed

13 - Catipilla

14 - FairyRat

15 - BigRoost

16 - Demonite

17 - BoneSlave

18 - SabreMan

19 - SpotSlime

1A - CrestPent

1B - BeanMan

1C - 1EyeClown

1D - CoilBird

1E - Metaly

1F - Dragon

20 - Golem

21 - Almiraj

22 - BullBird

23 - FloraMan

24 - GiantWorm

25 - SkullRider

26 - GiantSlug

27 - MudDoll

28 - TreeSlime

29 - Poisongon

2A - CatFly

2B - WingTree

2C - Eyeder

2D - Petrepup

2E - DrakSlime

2F - FairyDrak

30 - Skullroo

31 - Butterfly

32 - MadRaven

33 - MadCat

34 - MadCat

35 - FaceTree

36 - FaceTree

37 - Madknight

38 - Madknight

39 - Mudron

3A - Facer

3B - Snaily

3C - Saccer

3D - MadPecker

3E - Gulple

3F - EyeBall

40 - Mummy

41 - Babble

42 - Pteranod

43 - Tonguella

44 - FloraJay

45 - MadPlant

46 - Armorpede

47 - MedusaEye

48 - MadCandle

49 - WingSlime

4A - MadGopher

4B - FangSlime

4C - FangSlime

4D - BigEye

4E - BigEye

4F - Gigantes

50 - Gigantes

51 - Slabbit

52 - Gasgon

53 - WindBeast

54 - StubBird

55 - Oniono

56 - Gophecada

57 - Pixy

58 - DeadNite

59 - SpikyBoy

5A - SlimeNite

5B - KingCobra

5C - Mommanja

5D - MistyWing

5E - StagBug

5F - DarkEye

60 - NiteWhip

61 - RougueNite

62 - BoxSlime

63 - StoneMan

64 - StoneMan

65 - BattleRex

66 - BattleRex

67 - Copycat

68 - Copycat

69 - Orc

6A - Reaper

6B - Gismo

6C - RockSlime

6D - Chamelgon

6E - Goategon

6F - DuckKite

70 - CactiBall

71 - TailEater

72 - WindMerge

73 - AgDevil

74 - WeedBug

75 - SpotKing

76 - LizardFly

77 - HammerMan

78 - MadGoose

79 - TreeBoy

7A - Droll

7B - FunkyBird

7C - FunkyBird

7D - SkyDragon

7E - SkyDragon

7F - Digster

80 - Digster

81 - GiantMoth

82 - ArcDemon

83 - MadSpirit

84 - CurseLamp

85 - Tortragon

86 - WildApe

87 - LandOwl

88 - AmberWeed

89 - ArmyCrab

8A - EvilBeast

8B - Shadow

8C - EvilWand

8D - SlimeBorg

8E - LizardMan

8F - Grizzly

90 - Wyvern

91 - FireWeed

92 - MadHornet

93 -Jamirus

94 - Jamirus

95 - Servant

96 - Servant

97 - Centasaur

98 - EvilArmor

99 - KingSlime

9A - KingSlime

9B - Toadstool

9C - Lipsy

9D - Lionex

9E - RotRaven

9F - JewelBag

A0 - Swordgon

A1 - SuperTen

A2 - MadCondor

A3 - ManEater

A4 - Grendal

A5 - DarkCrab

A6 - MadMirror

A7 - WingSnake

A8 - Yeti

A9 - DanceVegi

AA - Ogre

AB - Skullgon

AC - Voodoll

AD - Rayburn

AE - IronTurt

AF - DarkHorn

B0 - DarkHorn

B1 - Akubar

B2 - Akubar

B3 - Orochi

B4 - Orochi

B5 - Metabble

B6 - GulpBeast

B7 - Balzak

B8 - Spikerous

B9 - Trumpeter

BA - Skeletor

BB - MetalDrak

BC - MadDragon

BD - Snapper

BE - GoatHorn

BF - DeadNoble

C0 - Roboster

C1 - BombCrag

C2 - Andreal

C3 - Unicorn

C4 - GreatDrak

C5 - ZapBird

C6 - WhipBird

C7 - Durran

C8 - Durran

C9 - Dracolord

CA - Dracolord

CB - Hargon

CC - Hargon

CD - Sidoh

CE - Sidoh

CF - Baramos

D0 - Baramos

D1 - Zoma

D2 - Zoma

D3 - Pizzaro

D4 - Pizzaro

D5 - Esterk

D6 - Esterk

D7 - Mirudraas

D8 - Mirudraas

D9 - Mudou

DA - Mudou

DB - DeathMore1

DC - DeathMore1

DD - Darkdrium

DE - Darkdrium

DF - Watabou

E0 - Dracky

E1 - Anteater

E2 - Dracky

E3 - Slime

E4 - Stubsuck

E5 - Slime

E6 - Spooky

E7 - Hork

E8 - Spooky

E9 - SpotSlime

EA - SpotSlime

EB - SpotSlime

EC - MudDoll

ED - Almiraj

EE - ModDoll

EF - Petrepup

F0 - MadRaven

F1 - Skullroo

F2 - Crestpent

F3 - TreeSlime

F4 - Poisongon

F5 - DrakSlime

F6 - Dragon

F7 - FairyDrak

F8 - Snaily

F9 - Armorpede

FA - Snaily

FB - Saccer

FC - FloraJay

FD - MadPlant

FE - MedusaEye

FF - MadGopher

If this code is false then let me know.

Oh I just realized hex slot 02 is missing from the list. The likelyhood of running into a glitch monster is very slim IMO. I have a feeling the game will just crash when battle starts. If not then things will get interesting but I  doubt it won't freeze or crash. Madcat, FaceTree, and Mad Knight occupy two hex slots each. (Slots 33-38) There are actually quite a few monsters that occupy one hex slot many of the ones that do are Boss type monsters (disregarding the fact that some Boss monsters have multiple forms.) looks like Enix was determined to make their game as safe to hack into as possible.

Nevermind 02 is not missing

Date: 2009-03-01 19:41:35
Is that code supposed to be for Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 or 2? I tried it on 1 and it didn't seem to do anything.

Date: 2009-03-01 20:03:16
The second code,(the one with the whole hex list listed) Is for the first DWM. I knew the code probably was fake because it was on a game faq and those aren't a reliable source.

Date: 2009-03-01 20:09:37
Well… back to square one. If I find any working codes I'll return here to post them.

Date: 2009-03-03 19:50:14
No, that code worked.  There are no glitch monsters. 00 crashes the game as soon as the code is activated in a battle whether in or just beginning a battle.

Date: 2009-03-03 21:16:06
Tch. figures. Time for the second game. Since the hex list was expanded to beyond 255 there might be more blank spots. Is anyone willing to fire up a rom and try it out?

Don't forget that we still have the PS1 remake of 1 and 2 and the third game for GBA and the fourth game for the DS to check. I doubt we'll find anything.

I have heard of a glitch in DWM2 that involves using the BeDragon skill and herbs with a result of 999 HP for the BeDragon caster. I can't remember how it works though.

Date: 2009-03-03 21:19:15
^I don't see how the hex list could have been expanded. DWM2 is still on GBC.

Date: 2009-03-03 21:21:31
But there are way more monsters so how do you suppose it works? Plus check the link to that Gameshark FAQ a few posts back I found what look like blank spaces but I still need more data.

Date: 2009-03-04 17:48:32

^I don't see how the hex list could have been expanded. DWM2 is still on GBC.

IIRC, the GBC could do word RAM addressing which is two bytes long. (ie. XX XX)

It's the same way stats were used on the 1st and second gens.

Date: 2009-03-04 17:50:47
Ah yes, I was thinking that. Hopefully it means more slots for glitches.