Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation VIII Glitch Discussion

Experience Candy glitch - Page 1

Experience Candy glitch

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2019-12-01 09:03:00
While watching AbsolVlogsPokemon's Level 100 Gauntlet videos (which are massively entertaining),  I noticed that he discovered an odd glitch while feeding Experience Candy to his Pokemon in his latest installment. Basically: If you select a Pokemon to feed the candy to and press down on the same frame, it will actually give the candy to the Pokemon BELOW the one you selected. This means you can give Experience Candy to Level 100 Pokemon, which normally isn't allowed, though the Pokemon's experience will not actually increase.
Now… what happens if you use Rare Candies?!

Re: Experience Candy glitch

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-12-01 10:44:00

While watching AbsolVlogsPokemon's Level 100 Gauntlet videos (which are massively entertaining),  I noticed that he discovered an odd glitch while feeding Experience Candy to his Pokemon in his latest installment. Basically: If you select a Pokemon to feed the candy to and press down on the same frame, it will actually give the candy to the Pokemon BELOW the one you selected. This means you can give Experience Candy to Level 100 Pokemon, which normally isn't allowed, though the Pokemon's experience will not actually increase.
Now… what happens if you use Rare Candies?!
prolly nothing, as the L100 mon didn't get experience and i'm guessing they did a lazy and just add experience until next level, as they already have that info calculatable through the Status screen probably.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2019-12-01 17:12:04
There's a fail safe now for Pokemon at level 100, granted if they evolve. You're allowed to give them a Rare Candy so that they can evolve. I don't currently have any Pokemon at level 100 in Sword to test this out with, but it's been mentioned over on the Pokemon subreddit. But if the Pokemon is fully evolved, nothing most likely happens.

Posted by: Proteus
Date: 2019-12-04 03:07:45
Can you give experience to egg with this trick too?

Posted by: LTMS
Date: 2019-12-06 12:16:03

Seems you actually can. This twitter thread shows how you can give candies to pokemons in an egg to make them evolve (they will be level 1 when the egg hatches regardless of the evolution stage) and also teach them TRs and TMs. Also, if he already has 4 moves and you try to use a TR or a TM, it will take you to the summary where you can see Stats, Ability and (obviously) moves.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-12-06 22:18:12

Seems you actually can. This twitter thread shows how you can give candies to pokemons in an egg to make them evolve (they will be level 1 when the egg hatches regardless of the evolution stage) and also teach them TRs and TMs. Also, if he already has 4 moves and you try to use a TR or a TM, it will take you to the summary where you can see Stats, Ability and (obviously) moves.
Wow, so even eggs are completely broken?
Also, "TR"?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-12-06 23:36:36

Also, "TR"?

Technical Records, which are essentially single-use TMs.

Date: 2019-12-07 04:40:43

Also, "TR"?

Yeah, eggs are broken. The problem is, if I evolve a Pokémon while in the egg and then I hatch it, they will still be level 1 even if they're actually evolved. In an online Hack Check at an official event, will they result as legit or cheat? Because you usually can't catch an (example) level 1 Cinderace.

Date: 2019-12-07 06:39:29
So it's like the egg-viewing part of the Pomeg Glitch, except way easier and more useful.
AWESOME!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-12-07 08:20:04
Yeah you can hatch evolved Eggs. For the party of three method (top, pokemon 2, Egg) it seems you need the second Pokemon and Egg Pokemon species to match (another says same line, but when I tried Caterpie slot 2 and Metapod Egg from previous use of the glitch it brought up the error?)  for this to work though, or you'll get the Switch error message which causes the game to close. I have a few videos on my Twitter Torchickens but currently unsure how to copy the link to individual tweets on this phone sorry.

There is another subglitch too where you can cause Rare Candy to give the amount of exp the previous Pokemon needs to next level to the wrong Pokemon. So have a Level 99 Pokemon next to a Level 1 one; in theory Rare Candy becomes OP and raises lots of levels for the Level 1.

Date: 2019-12-07 10:22:35

Yeah you can hatch evolved Eggs. For the party of three method (top, pokemon 2, Egg) it seems you need the second Pokemon and Egg Pokemon species to match (another says same line, but when I tried Caterpie slot 2 and Metapod Egg from previous use of the glitch it brought up the error?)  for this to work though, or you'll get the Switch error message which causes the game to close.

Probably has something to do with experience growth rate? Who knows!
Imagine you hatch an egg and a full-grown Grimmsnarl comes out of it…

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-12-07 12:57:28
I can post the links then. Very neat find, a bit like the good old Select glitches. :)

Giving a Wailmer 1304044 Exp.: https://twitter.com/BrybryPokebip/status/1203355430291935232

Evolving Caterpie through the glitch: https://twitter.com/Torchickens/status/1203347487110520833

Evolving an Egg into an Egg: https://twitter.com/Torchickens/status/1203335679964516352

Date: 2019-12-07 13:06:04
Now I wonder: If I evolve the Pokémon in the egg, then trade the egg, will the player I gave the egg hatch the evolved Pokémon or they'll get the base form? Sadly I can't research it myself since I don't have a Switch yet ;_;

Also, my congratulations to Game Freak for not learning in years to block simultaneous button presses *trainer escape glitch flashbacks*

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-12-07 15:44:44
Thanks Sherkel for posting the links! ^^ @LTMS I imagine yes they'd get the evolved Pokemon unless the game has any error checking for reverting it. In the past the games at least Generation II-III, (IV-V too maybe? I don't know if also true for VI, VII.) III because I remember Vae's video in Generation III where a Kadabra Egg trade evolved or similar) didn't mind and changing the contents of the Egg is not subject to it reverting back even after trade. The game doesn't store a backup of the stage 1 species if the contents is altered like in this glitch.

Date: 2019-12-07 15:53:27

Thanks Sherkel for posting the links! ^^ @LTMS I imagine yes they'd get the evolved Pokemon unless the game has any error checking for reverting it. In the past the games at least Generation II-III, (IV-V too maybe? I don't know if also true for VI, VII.) III because I remember Vae's video in Generation III where a Kadabra Egg trade evolved or similar) didn't mind and changing the contents of the Egg is not subject to it reverting back even after trade. The game doesn't store a backup of the stage 1 species if the contents is altered like in this glitch.

Alright, thanks for the clarification ^-^ Now the last possible doubt is how hack checks will behave regarding evolved level 1 pokemons. But I guess we'll know when the competitive season starts and someone goes and tries.