Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Games that nobody knows about - Page 1

Games that nobody knows about

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-11-14 14:53:52
Anybody have any games that nobody really knows about? Like really unknown ones I mean. Usually they tend to be not that good. But still interesting to play. Anyway, mine are:
YuYu Hakusho: Spirit Detective
This game I just randomly got as a present once. I right away knew (thought) I wouldn't like it as I didn't really like YuYu Hakusho at that time, but nevertheless played it anyway. The graphics sucked, the way you fought stuff sucked, and so on. Also it was extremely open-sandboxed. The levels (yes, levels! for Pete's sake, levels! XD) when you had to find stuff took ages. It turned out my brother really liked it though, and we both eventually played throuh the whole thing (which was surprisingly short. When Botan said at the end about the Dark Tournament I was like this is kind of long, but it ended right there strangely.). My brother started collecting the manga. This ended up getting me into YuYu Hakusho, and now I'm obsessed with it. All that from a bad game. I still occaisonally play it for training.
Pac-Man World
This was probably my first non-PkMn game actually. I really liked Pac-Man, so that's why I got it. It was like a 3D platormer like Mario 64, but it was more puzzle-like. I liked this for a while, and got a full 97% (I couldn't find the damn "M in Corsairs Cove, which as far as I know desn't exist even). Online, there is absolutely nothing on this.
Hmm, looks like I went on a bit with YYH: SD but anyway, just post about completely unknown games that you have here!

Re: Games that nobody knows about

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-11-14 15:02:51
Exodus, an unlicensed Bible game for the Game Boy. It's not half bad, and has an interesting history.

Date: 2007-11-14 15:03:31
Unlicensed? Wow. So more or less illegal! I can see why…

Date: 2007-11-14 15:26:13
Unlicensed games are perfectly legal (thanks in part to the legal case Sega v. Accolade), but Nintendo does very much dislike the thought of unlicensed games for their systems, because they don't receive extra fees for manufacturing cartridges. Thus, they used their tremendous clout to pressure retailers, keeping games made by the company Color Dreams from being sold in stores. Undaunted, Color Dreams changed their name to Wisdom Tree, and started selling their games with a Biblical theme in Christian bookstores. Kinda shallow, but it's not like Nintendo was squeaky-clean either…

Date: 2007-11-14 16:01:44
And Nintendo still hasn't found out about that?

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2007-11-14 16:19:12
I had a game called Traysia for Sega Megadrive (I prefer that name over genesis -.-), it seems to be very obscure, only getting about 4.000 Google results.

And, an old Mac game I used to play a lot was Spin Doctor. It was kinda weird, you had to swing a wand from dot to dot on a playfield.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-11-14 17:23:02
I can't find any I know of in my collection.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-11-14 19:33:59
Would Balls Of Fury be a game that no one knows about?

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2007-11-15 00:28:42
There's most likely no games that absolutely nobody knows about, unless the developer was drunk while coding and releasing them and when they sobered up they forgot all about it.

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-11-15 21:42:46
Is anyone here familar with Odin Sphere or Beyond Good and Evil? Both are for the PS2, and they're quite interesting.

Odin Sphere - a fairly recent release, it's a cross between 2-d fighting, RPG, and farm-sim. Yes, farm sim. There are no healing spots here (save after you complete a chapter section) You must plant seeds in the ground, kill enemies, and let that enemies energy fuel your plants growth until it bears fruit/nuts/sheep (yes, sheep). Well, you can also buy food, but money is very very rare so it's hard to buy a lot at one time. Right now I'm stuck at Chapter 1, Part 3's boss. Ugh. It's fun for me, but not really a game for just anyone.

Beyond Good and Evil- A swiss-army-knife type game with Disney-like graphics, but a not Disney-like plot filled with government conspiracy. Much of it is stealth, where you take pictures with your camera of important things, but there is also fighting, vehicle driving, rpg-ish elements, and item hunting. Currently stuck fairly far into the game, since I can't figure out how to get out of this one area.

Oh yeah, said game also has black hell glitches, where you fall where you shouldn't and end up in a black void. The game camera goes very far away from you. Look up and there will be a light or two up ahead (like when there's something important to take a photo of), but you're too far away to properly zoom in on it. You're stuck until you reset. 

Date: 2007-11-16 14:04:28

And Nintendo still hasn't found out about that?

Well, they probably knew about it at the time, but they would have no legal basis for threatening the bookstores to have them removed. And since Nintendo didn't sell products at such places anyway, threatening to remove their items would have no effect.

Date: 2007-11-16 18:14:45
Action 52.

The worst game(s) ever, and I believe unliscensed.

Date: 2007-11-16 18:22:41

Action 52.

The worst game(s) ever, and I believe unliscensed.
For what system?

Date: 2007-11-16 18:28:06
NES. It contained 52 poorly done games, a lot of them which ended up crashed or even unable to work at all. Many suffered from severe glitches that would make you quit in anger. The box art contained ugly renditions of the characters from the game and no pictures of the games. The box used horrible grammar and spelling errors, and so did the manual. The manual also had descriptions of each game, of which 48 of the 52 were nonsensical or totally inaccurate descriptions of the game. Awful, awful, awful. You can find more at gamefaqs.com. The company went bankrupt shortly afterwards. They were composed of just 2 dudes who had no idea how to make a video game and slapped these pieces of junk together. The game was priced for $200, assuming that that was less than $4 a game. No wonder they went bankrupt.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-11-16 18:33:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_52
This one?

It has 5 turds on Gamecrap: http://www.gamecrap.com/nes/action52/action52.php