Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

The "Real" Metal Sonic - Page 1

The "Real" Metal Sonic

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-04-23 22:13:52
Just as soon as I start glitching with savestates again, I found what I call the 'real' Metal Sonic.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles000.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic standing.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles001.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic charging a spindash.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles002.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic going up a ramp.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles003.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic rolling up another ramp.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles004.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic running at full speed.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles006.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic taking damage.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles007.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic's death animation.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles008.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic's victory pose.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles009.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic looking around.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/Yuzihax/SMDSonic3Knuckles010.jpg[/img]
"Metal" Sonic hanging animation.

Re: The "Real" Metal Sonic

Posted by: Tweaker
Date: 2008-04-24 00:21:05

glitching with savestates

Topic nulled.

Loading a savestate from one game to another or whatever is NOT a "glitch." That's unexpected behavior as a result of loading RAM from one game over another. It does not imply an error in programming in any way whatsoever, which is what a "glitch" entails.

I told you this multiple times when you PMed me about it, so to come here once in a blue moon and still see it is quite annoying…

Date: 2008-04-24 12:36:14

glitching with savestates

Topic nulled.

Loading a savestate from one game to another or whatever is NOT a "glitch." That's unexpected behavior as a result of loading RAM from one game over another. It does not imply an error in programming in any way whatsoever, which is what a "glitch" entails.

I told you this multiple times when you PMed me about it, so to come here once in a blue moon and still see it is quite annoying…

I post because I really don't know what the fuck to believe; some people say that it's not legit in any sense, and then there are some who disagree and say that it is indeed legitimate.

As you can see, I'm confused as all fucking hell, I get an answer from one side then get a disagreement from another.
Seriously, my head hurts now. Who the fuck to listen to? :/

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-04-24 15:53:13
there are some in the Pokemon glitch community that feel that anything that looks messed up can be categorized as a "glitch", regardless of the means used to create said mess-up. I've always said that the term "glitch" strictly refers to programming errors in the actual game, and that fucking with the ROM, RAM or a savestate doesn't count because that isn't an error in the game (any program will react badly to corrupted data or code). Hence why I've said, to the people who think they "discover" something every time they change a few bytes of RAM and create an unintended side-effect, and to the guy who apparently "discovered" Boean (a "glitch pokemon" in some 3rd gen game that doesn't actually have data in-game and is created with a mass of action replay codes), it seems that all you've done is change Sonic's sprite.

Date: 2008-04-24 15:58:55

there are some in the Pokemon glitch community that feel that anything that looks messed up can be categorized as a "glitch", regardless of the means used to create said mess-up. I've always said that the term "glitch" strictly refers to programming errors in the actual game, and that fucking with the ROM, RAM or a savestate doesn't count because that isn't an error in the game (any program will react badly to corrupted data or code). Hence why I've said, to the people who think they "discover" something every time they change a few bytes of RAM and create an unintended side-effect, and to the guy who apparently "discovered" Boean (a "glitch pokemon" in some 3rd gen game that doesn't actually have data in-game and is created with a mass of action replay codes), it seems that all you've done is change Sonic's sprite.

Well, I reckon in that case, just fuck this shit I've been doing. :/

Date: 2008-04-24 16:00:16
While I personally don't feel I'm in the right to decide what constitutes a "glitch" in the Pokemon community, even though I refuse to allow "glitches" created by RAM or savestate manipulation onto GCL, there seems to be a divide. The Sonic community, however, seems to be in agreement about what constitutes a "finding", and that seems to exclude "findings" involving memory alterations or debug mode.

Date: 2008-04-24 16:03:28

While I personally don't feel I'm in the right to decide what constitutes a "glitch" in the Pokemon community, even though I refuse to allow "glitches" created by RAM or savestate manipulation onto GCL, there seems to be a divide. The Sonic community, however, seems to be in agreement about what constitutes a "finding", and that seems to exclude "findings" involving memory alterations or debug mode.

Well, fuck, then I guess I've really proved just how stupid I really am :)

Date: 2008-04-24 16:08:45
I don't want to stick my nose in Caspar, after all I'm used to the Pokemon stuff. Personally though, if the best "glitches" we can come up with involve changing Sonic's sprite, it'll just seem pathetic to outsiders (and to the "established" sonic forums who regard that as "hacking" moreso than glitch-finding).

I can understand, though, that Pokemon glitches are much easier to find than Sonic ones, so severly limiting the definition might resolve in nothing being found at all.

Date: 2008-04-24 16:12:41

I don't want to stick my nose in Caspar, after all I'm used to the Pokemon stuff. Personally though, if the best "glitches" we can come up with involve changing Sonic's sprite, it'll just seem pathetic to outsiders (and to the "established" sonic forums who regard that as "hacking" moreso than glitch-finding).

That's the best I can come up with, seeing as nobody else even hardly gives enough of a fuck to try anything, at most there are about one or two others.

I can understand, though, that Pokemon glitches are much easier to find than Sonic ones, so severly limiting the definition might resolve in nothing being found at all.

Then why do we even have a Sonic section period? :/

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2008-04-24 18:21:21

I've always said that the term "glitch" strictly refers to programming errors in the actual game, and that fucking with the ROM, RAM or a savestate doesn't count because that isn't an error in the game (any program will react badly to corrupted data or code).

Well then, why did you work so hard on the Glitchdex, Itemdex, Attackdex, etc?

Also, savestate glitches are made more legit because the RAM is indirectly created by the programmers, and we haven't touched it using any cheat code or memory viewer.

I don't care if we look pathetic to outsiders, I care if many types of people are interested by the various types of glitches. If you only allow programming error glitches, then you don't serve the interest of these people. Reason I got interested by glitches in the first place was to enjoy the unusual, realistically fucked up, and possibly useful effects of a ROM or a program, that has not been changed at all, reacting to the RAM that it has to work with.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-04-24 19:55:55

I've always said that the term "glitch" strictly refers to programming errors in the actual game, and that fucking with the ROM, RAM or a savestate doesn't count because that isn't an error in the game (any program will react badly to corrupted data or code).

Because those are actually accessable though ways without gameshark and are in the ROM's coding.  Some need Gameshark but they are still there.

Date: 2008-04-24 20:06:00

Because those are actually accessable though ways without gameshark and are in the ROM's coding.  Some need Gameshark but they are still there.

I don't really agree with that logic. So, you say that inaccessible variables that are alongside inaccessible unusual variables can be allowed to be called glitches. But I don't see a real reason to do so, if you're not allowing the calling of results from changing a byte in RAM, that cannot be changed using a programming glitch, to unusual variables a glitch.

Date: 2008-04-24 20:15:21

I don't really agree with that logic. So, you say that inaccessible variables that are alongside inaccessible unusual variables can be allowed to be called glitches. But I don't see a real reason to do so, if you're not allowing the calling of results from changing a byte in RAM, that cannot be changed using a programming glitch, to unusual variables a glitch.

Kyouki, you can access near all glitch pokemon with the ditto trick and you can see the others via Old Man glitch trainers and glitch HOF.  It's in the game code.

Date: 2008-04-24 20:23:58

Kyouki, you can access near all glitch pokemon with the ditto trick and you can see the others via Old Man glitch trainers and glitch HOF.  It's in the game code.

Yes, but not when it comes to glitch items. Then again, you could use glitch Pokemon to edit the items in your bag. But it doesn't seem to be well-known, and doesn't seem to exactly work well.

Date: 2008-04-24 20:26:59

Yes, but not when it comes to glitch items. Then again, you could use glitch Pokemon to edit the items in your bag. But it doesn't seem to be well-known, and doesn't seem to exactly work well.

Uhh… yeah, they do edit your bag.