Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Games of the past - Page 1

Games of the past

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-03 19:54:08
I was checking out Gamewinners to track down a game I used to play when I was a kid, that used to spook me to death. Sadly I don't remember it. I was remembering some of the old games I used to play when I was a kid. The first game I used to play, was Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Master System II. I was never very good at it, but had some great laughs with my older brother when I was younger. I don't remember when Sonic the Hedgehog 2 came out, but there was a level I could never get past, sadly I never did get the chance to do so. My brother and I used to play this game called Gangster Town, it was a laser gun shooting game, with good old Rescue Mission. I remember the game Action Fighter, I was crap at it, but it was fun. We had the NES for a hell of a long time, and all we had to play was Super Mario Bros 3, and even now I have a SNES again, with good old Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II: Turbo, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars. I've had all sorts of games over the years. I did grow up with the Mario Bros for a long time, where my brother and me would be up each weekend, to watch the old cartoon, I do sure miss them old days. We had a Sega CD, with Pitfall 3D Sonic CD, Final Fight CD, that was an awesome game and we both kicked asses. Now a days, I miss these times. Here's what I remember:

Sonic The Hedgehog - Sega Master System II
Sonic the Hedgehog II - Sega Master System II
Rescue Mission - Sega Master System II
Gangster Town - Sega Master System II
Action Fighter - Sega Master System II
Alex The Kidd In Miracle World - Sega Master System II
The Ninja - Sega Master System II
Columns - Sega Master System II
Super Kick-Off - Sega Master System II (I'm sure we had this, where you could play as as England, Japan, Germany, things like that.)

Super Mario Bros 3 - NES

Street Fighter II - SNES
Street Fighter II Turbo - SNES
Super Mario World - SNES
Super Mario All Stars - SNES
Mortal Kombat Trilogy - SNES
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - SNES
International Superstar Soccer/International Superstar Soccer 2 - SNES (I don't remember which one my brother had, it was a laugh when you'd score a goal)
Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf - SNES (I'm sure we had this.)

Sonic the Hedgehog - Mega Drive II
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 -Mega Drive II
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Mega Drive II
Taz-Mania - Mega Drive II
Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3 - Mega Drive II
Haunting: Starring Polterguy - Mega Drive II (This game used to scare me to death.)

Sonic CD - Sega MegaCD
Final Fight - Sega MegaCD
Pitfall 3D - Sega MegaCD.

Re: Games of the past

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-12-03 19:58:04
Might the game have been Monster Party? I read an article about that game once, and it was creeped out.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-12-03 19:58:20
I never really got into gaming until I got my GBA SP, but I used to play the first few Spyro game (on an authentic Playstation, no less) and Crash Bandicoot with my mom. She was always much better than I was.

Date: 2009-12-03 20:08:27
Haunting: Starring Polterguy, that game used to spook the shit out of me. Whenever there was a noise, or something I'd jump out of my skin. Mario and Sonic have been what I grew up with and no matter what, nothing compares to the original games. (I did enjoy Sonic Adventure for the DreamCast and Adventure 2), but as for the Mario Bros, the original is what I enjoy. Spyro and Crash, I still enjoy, where on Spyro the Dragon, I got into the secret area, same with the other two. Crash Bandicoot, I enjoyed it up to….Twin Sanity. I'm playing my barely working SNES now, playing Mario Bros 3, and going though all them games I used to play, makes me feel as if I'm a kid again. I do miss a lot of the Master System games, like Rescue Mission, Gangster Town. But finding a Master System here is very rare. It took me a few years to get a SNES again. I was only 11 when the first Silent Hill was released, I've been hooked since, but Shattered Memories looks boring, it got a -1 in score I think - lack of fear.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-12-03 20:09:54
My first game was Pokémon Pinball, to be followed up by Ruby, my most played Pokémon game with around 600 hours, a few days later.

Date: 2009-12-03 20:16:54
And I thought I was bad when it came to Ninja. I sucked but, was a good game. My first game was Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System. Even now I can remember the locations of the 6 Chaos Emeralds. Before we got a SNES, my brother still had his Atari from the whenever it was released.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-12-03 20:33:43
My first game was Luigi's Mansion. Good times.

Date: 2009-12-03 20:42:57
I still got that. I don't have a lot for the N64, but I do have Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but can't play Majora's Mask, something about an expansion pack missing or something. (I do have the Legend of Zelda game collection and GameCube AND the never before released Master Quest with my limited edition of Window Waker). The game I'd play for a few hours was Nightmare Creatures on the PS1, and up til now, it's taken me this many years to finally beat the final boss. *Shot*

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-12-03 20:50:58
Ah yes, the halycon days of my gaming youth. My brother played the adventure stories of Spyro and Crash while I assisted him with puzzles, strategies and such (he had a flare for games like that as opposed to my rudimentary skills at those games; besides, I enjoyed just watching). However, when we pulled out CTR (Crash Team Racing), the competition was on; we had many highly contested cup races, with my preferred character being Polar. We also enjoyed another classic Crash title: Crash Bash. This time, I would get in on the main storyline- you could have a two-player adventure in that title. He was always Brio, and I Dingodile. I think we completely cleared that game- even the Platinum medals, which was no small feat. I also enjoyed playing NHL Faceoff 99 against my brother.

I even remember being frustrated about playing SSMBM early in my gaming life- it was when GameCube just came out, and my cousin had procured a GameCube and Melee before I got either. He crushed us with ease as a result, using Falco (now my fave SSMBM character) as his main. I stubbornly chose Yoshi over and over again, which was admittedly not a great choice for a beginner.

Gosh, I keep trying to post, than getting the warning, and than thinking of some other great game from my early youth. Guess I'm just nostalgic. :P

I played Stadiums 1 and 2 often, although I didn't do Gym Leader Castle or any of the Cups- my brother did, although we are an even match in a battle, and still are. I enjoyed challenging him in the mini-games- more rivalries and competition established there.

I had a strange obsession with Hey You Pikachu! when I was about 7. I still remember 'Open Sesame' and never being able to prepare a good stew at Bulbasaur's.

I also loved Pokémon Snap. Somehow the premise of that game appealed to me highly. It's funny to go back now, when I pick up the game and play it for a couple of days, and remember the hunt for the Lapras and the Surfing Pikachu in the Beach level, and other such hunts in the rest of the game.

Wow, I thought my gaming past was solely based on Pokémon Red, Yellow, and Gold, but I am now realizing how much fun I had playing other games. The games now have nice graphics and 'more advanced' gameplay, but somehow the simple fun of early games made them more enjoyable.

Date: 2009-12-03 21:05:58
Ah, I still have CTR and I love it. Hell I can kick Oxside in the ass with any character. I've gotten a few platinum relics, with think it was Pura, or Coco. I have Crash Bash, but now I play on my own since my brother died 3 years ago, and I still have our data on my PS2 memory card, with 106%. I'd be Crash and he'd be Tiny. I've had a load of laughs with my brother during my youth with the footie game on the Master System, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat (even though he'd kick my ass each time), we were great during Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3. We both loved Pokemon, and he was always better, with his damn Mewtwo that I could never beat. Even now at the age of 21, I still do miss my old youth days, of being spooked by the poison mushroom in The Lost Worlds, and Big Boo during th Boo Houses. My brother was good at the Super Mario World but I was master of the Boo Huts, and still am ^^.

Date: 2009-12-03 21:12:09

Ah, I still have CTR and I love it. Hell I can kick Oxside in the ass with any character. I've gotten a few platinum relics, with think it was Pura, or Coco. I have Crash Bash, but now I play on my own since my brother died 3 years ago, and I still have our data on my PS2 memory card, with 106%. I'd be Crash and he'd be Tiny.

Gosh, I can almost identify completely with you on those games. They were so fun…

Going over 100% in Bash,
Beating Oxide the second time,

those events are great memories for me.

I just loved both of those games.

Date: 2009-12-03 21:20:04
I've unlocked a lot of the characters, like Fake Crash, and others. We both had a lot in favorite games, like the Resident Evil games. Even now I'm still trying to unlock Tofu the hidden character in Resident Evil 2 and still can't. An old friend of mine used to play CTR, and I'd always win because I was too good. Crash Nitro Kart was a total bitch to play.

Date: 2009-12-03 21:24:39
Oh, I just remembered all the extra characters we 'unlocked' in CTR (we got directions on how to from a guide book we bought; all the characters had a command like square, circle, square, R1, R2, triangle that would unlock all hidden characters). You could actually play as Ripper Roo, Papu Papu, Penta, and some others. Not Oxide, though I'm not surprised- she doesn't really have a standard car.

Date: 2009-12-03 21:31:06
I earn my lot, and not use cheats. My friend would always use one character, where he'd picked Dingodile, and I'd go as a starter racer like Polar and win. Tiny was my favorite in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes back as a boss, Nina Cortex my favorite during Tag-Team Racing.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-12-03 23:07:17
I remember playing Super Mario Bros. 2 on my mom's friend's old NES way back when I was 2. I never could get by the first level though because I was too young to know how to play or anything. Then a couple years later I got my own PlayStation, which had just been released at the time. I remember trying to complete Crash Bandicoot without passwords, trying to drive in Gran Turismo, trying to fly in Air Combat (or Ace Combat for you PAL users), and trying to get through the first world in Gex. All such good games.

Then less than a year later, I was at my friend's house and he had a Game Boy Color and a Pokemon Blue game. After 5 minutes of trying to get out of the player's house, I decided that I wanted that game, so my parents bought me my first Game Boy Color and both Pokemon Red and Blue for Christmas that year, Red for my brother and Blue for me. I was addicted to those games and couldn't stop playing them for 5 minutes it seemed. I remember learning how to play little by little, raising levels, my Wartortle evolving in Rock Tunnel, raising my Blastoise to level 68 or so with only 4 badges, and thinking I lost that Blastoise when all I did was put it in the PC (you got to remember I was only about 4 or 5 at the time and had no clue how to play). That's what got me into Pokemon.

My interest in the PlayStation was diminishing until about 2001 or 2002 when I rented Driver 2 from my local Blockbuster. That game really got me hooked, and I eventually bought it, bringing my interest back into the PlayStation. I remember crashing as many times as I could, escaping the police multiple times, and trying to beat the game but always getting stuck on the third to last mission (to this day I've still only beaten that mission once).

In 2005 I bought my first GameCube along with Pokemon Colosseum and Kirby Air Ride. The GameCube came with SSBM as well. I thought that I would be spending most of my time playing Pokemon Colosseum and Kirby than SSBM, since I didn't think I'd like it too much, but it was the other way around really quickly. And right when I thought that I had figured everything out about the game I found out there was a debug menu and eventually bought an Action Replay for the GameCube to find this debug menu. I remember the hours wasted just playing with the debug menu making crazy things happening such as Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser spawning Goombas on the Test stage. Real good times those were.

Then I found out emulation after my PlayStation 2 broke, and got a lot of my old PlayStation games on emulation. Same applies for all the Game Boy games that I've lost, broke, or destroyed. But it still won't be able to beat playing them on a small TV with an authentic PlayStation controller or playing them on the small screen and controls of the Game Boy Color.