Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Nintendo switch official hype+bashing thread - Page 2

Re: Nintendo switch official hype+bashing thread

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-06 12:21:53
Nice, glad to hear. ^_^ Thanks.

On a first impression it seems the lifespan of this game is long with so many Moons to collect.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-12-07 08:25:51
Here's a direct copy-paste from my review/rant (this was in several Discord messages, so the format may seem a little weird for a forum post)

Time to rant a bit : here's my review of Odyssey so far (I haven't finished the game yet, but I have enough major spoilers to know what's ahead of me)
FUCKING AMAZING YEBOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
To begin with, it's a Mario platformer. Obviously the controls have to be right, and oh boy does the game play well.
There are all the movesets from all the previous games, besides Galaxy maybe ? (sideflip and backflip from SM64, spinjump from SMS [not Galaxy's])
They also re-inserted the triple jump which was (WTF ??!?!!?!??) removed from 3D World
Plus there's a new move, which is a Ground Pound into a jump, which gives you slightly more height than a backflip, for example, but is MUCH easier to use, and can be followed by much more moves (you can't do much when you're in a backflip state, plus you're going backwards)
Cappy also serves as a movement extension, and in two ways.
You can throw Cappy mid-jump, which resets your velocity and lets you turn around mid-jump
ALSO, you can bounce on Cappy if you hold the Throw button (so you choose whether you bounce or not, and that does come in handy)
And finally, the dive has been changed ; instead of being on a single button, when you GP, if you press the Throw button, then you begin diving.
And here's the killer combo : Jump, Throw, Dive, Bounce, Throw, Dive.

Jump (A/B) or Long Jump (Run -> ZL/ZR -> A/B) // Going far, but not enough ?
Throw Cappy (X or Y) // Reset velocity, preferably right after beginning to fall
Dive (ZL/ZR +> X/Y) // Forwards but down
Bounce off Cappy (Hold X/Y) // Fowards AND up
Throw again (Release ZL/ZR, then press X or Y) // Same thing
Dive (ZL/ZR +> X/Y)  // You can't bounce off twice, though

This combo lets you go both higher and farther. Plus, between each dive, you can change directions. Imagine how much deaths I avoided like that.
That's the controls.
Now, the game looks reall, REALLY good.
The graphics are generally good, they look crisp and all, that's the Switch for ya. And don't get me started on "bruh the PS4 does better", who cares, this is WAY good enough.
(Seriously, PS4Pro, 4K HDR ? Nobody has a 4K TV and half are playing on 360p phones via remote play, and HDR… barely visible.)
There has been a large amount of work on Mario, which has a wide range of expressions and cute animations (mostly idle animations). That's detail, but still. Looks good.
The game plays good, looks good, but it also sounds really good.
The OST is really nice, mostly three tracks (so far, I have still ~7 yet to hear). Minigame tracks are mostly remixes, such as the SMW minigame tune, but also entirely new pieces. I like them both.
Also, there's at least one entirely orchestral track, for the Galaxy purists. Personally it's not in my top 3.
Cappy's possessing power is really cool, controls are good (except maybe one thing, the motion controls… they require you either to play with separate Joy-Cons, or shake your Switch / controller like you're preparing a soda prank with all your heart), and by "good controls" this time I mean they handle well, and the buttons aren't placed at random.
Plus, all possessions are interesting, and worth it. They are used multiple times, such as the Goomba tower above, but always slightly differently.
Now, the levels… Oh fuck, the levels.
The levels aren't expansive, but not as small as one planet in Galaxy. And the best part in all of this : every single square inch of each level contains something. Be it a coin, a moon, an enemy which you must capture to go to the nearby moon, anything. The game is packed full of little nooks and crannies which aren't obvious unless you take the time to explore - and the game really rewards you for exploring.
There are a FUCKTON of Moons, which are not required to complete the game nor get the "true ending". And each of them is a little puzzle of their own (except a few ones which are basically two platforms away. But these are the easy ones.)
The collectibles are basically the Moons, and the purple coins, which are currency unique to the world you pick them in.
Purple and gold coins let you buy different outfits (as well as one Moon per world, and a heart refill+), which actually can be used to unlock some Moons. Also, to look like A B S O L U TE S W A G
So yeah. For this and other minor reasons, Odyssey is a VERY, VERY good game. 9/10 so far, I might update once I actually beat the game.
Now, I can't fully praise the game. There are two things : one, the game is really easy. No lives, no game over. Every time you die, you simply drop 10 coins which you sometimes can pick back up. And dying with 0 coins is no penalty. Second, I bought it yesterday, and played it for ~20 hours, and I'm already at the third level before the end. The game can be completed quite quickly - though I did run past a lot of Moons, which I'll probably go back to.

Now that I've actually completed the game *once*, I have to update this a bit.
Indeed, I completed the game very quickly, but once you do that you unlock a new set of Moons in each stage, as well as one new stage and one True Final Stage ™
The new Moons are a little bit more difficult to obtain, as expected, but it's okay.
The True Final Stage… it's hard. Really.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-08 04:48:22
Wow! ^^ Sounds definitely worth getting from what you said. Thanks ISSOtm. :)

I love games that are full of content but also what Nintendo have called 'fun to pick up and play'. From what I gather these are the sort of games that don't require too much thinking or attention (mainly the action is what makes them fun) and don't feel heavy, and maybe the type of games where you don't have to remember what you did to progress in the story. Super Mario Odyssey sounds like it may be such a title.

I loved Pokémon Black 2 because it was a very big game (in particular the Black Tower/White Treehollow extended the lifespan) but felt fun to pick up and play.