Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Site Announcements

Transition complete - Page 1

Transition complete

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-02-16 15:23:41
The move to the new location is finished. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of database errors and whatnot.

The ads will be removed promptly.

Re: Transition complete

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-02-16 19:05:40
The attachments and avatars are well… I don't have to explain…

Woot 4 successfully moving though. :D

Date: 2009-02-16 20:04:29
should be fixed I think. I find it annoying that SMF has to be told manually where everything is… one of the reasons why I specifically made sure that The Orange Glove be able to automatically discover both the URL and the root directory in which it is installed.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-02-16 23:11:03
At first, I still couldn't connect to the site. But then I noticed it was just because the IP wasn't updated on my DNS, so I put glitchcity.info and forums.glitchcity.info in my hostsfile to access it.

Edit: The forum's so freaking fast it's amazing.

Date: 2009-02-16 23:48:17
Yeah, it's rather nice.

Unfortunately, I just wasted ~10 hours configuring an IRCd, another 10 trying to configure the email daemons, and 10 more hours trying to configure a FTPd. Actually, I tried 3 FTPds (pureftpd, vsftpd, proftpd) and for whatever reason I can't get any of them to work. Do Unix daemon developers get off on making their products as user-unfriendly as possible?

Date: 2009-02-17 00:02:02
You might just not be very used to Unix/Linux. XD

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-02-17 03:51:38
Is my avatar still here?
Edit: Yes.

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-02-17 07:02:22

Yeah, it's rather nice.

Unfortunately, I just wasted ~10 hours configuring an IRCd, another 10 trying to configure the email daemons, and 10 more hours trying to configure a FTPd. Actually, I tried 3 FTPds (pureftpd, vsftpd, proftpd) and for whatever reason I can't get any of them to work. Do Unix daemon developers get off on making their products as user-unfriendly as possible?

PEBKAC :P

wait, WTF:
[tt]Your host is abwayax.com-irc, running version ngircd-0.12.1 (x86_64/pc/linux-gnu)[/tt]

Okay, I just want to say this: I successfully installed and ran ngircd on my jailbroken iPod touch in about 30 minutes. How the *hell* does it take you 10 hours?

Date: 2009-02-17 09:19:41
It seems we have a problem with the forums wanting to revert to some old backup of the maintainence mode for some reason.

Date: 2009-02-17 15:10:28

It seems we have a problem with the forums wanting to revert to some old backup of the maintainence mode for some reason.
Mayby you should try putting it in maintenance mode and then taking it out again?

Date: 2009-02-17 16:41:44

Mayby you should try putting it in maintenance mode and then taking it out again?

What does that have to do with reverting from an old backup?

Date: 2009-02-17 17:18:50
It's not a problem with the forums, it could be a problem with your DNS? Changes to the DNS take a while to fully take effect. You could be loading the old profusehost forums.

If it has ads at the bottom or in the threads, it's from profusehost. This forum no longer has ads.

Date: 2009-02-17 20:57:50
Fivex seems to be having the same problem then.

Date: 2009-02-17 22:21:05
I'm not having the problem at all, since I have forums.glitchcity.info and glitchcity.info hostsfile'd to the new IP the VPS has.

Date: 2009-02-17 22:45:48

Fivex seems to be having the same problem then.
I do have the problem.

What does that have to do with reverting from an old backup?

It might stop going into maintenance mode randomly.

I'm not having the problem at all, since I have forums.glitchcity.info and glitchcity.info hostsfile'd to the new IP the VPS has.
The IP so I can add it?
Also it was in maintenance mode for half the day today :/