Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Christopher Columbus - Page 1

Christopher Columbus

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-03-09 09:48:26
In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue, and when he reached his destination he killed, raped, and abused innocent natives. I argue with the resolution that history ought to regard Columbus as a hero. Why do we celebrate a day for him when he terrorized America, and had lost his heroic qualities? And not to mention, he comitted an actual crime, that lead the very King and Queen that gave him permission to arrest him? A hero that we celebrate wouldn't do anything that would get him/her in jail. Also he abused the Taino people in the worst ways, making then get him gold or else their hands were cut off, taking and selling slaves, and destroying their culture. He also bragged and overexaggerated about wha hefound, and cheated his way into history. I think Columbus Day should be replaced with Explorer Day, admiring all the other heroic explorers of the time.

Re: Christopher Columbus

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2008-03-09 10:01:58
Well granted I have nothing against changing the name. I'd keep the holiday just to get the day off. The reason there is a holiday is because, according to the federal government, Columbus discovered america. Seeing how this is slightly untrue, He wasn't the first but he was first from Europe which was the head of the world at the time, the holiday should be for the vikings not Chris.

Date: 2008-03-09 10:08:12
But Columbus never set foot in North America. That's the thing.

Date: 2008-03-09 11:15:08
No, but he found the Caribbean which informed Europe that there was a new world. 

Date: 2008-03-09 13:42:02
Which some other less cavlier explorer would have found anyway without killing everybody on it.

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2008-03-09 14:01:26
Well, if you want my honest opinion, if it weren't for Christopher Columbus, odds are neither of us would be here.

I'm willing to celebrate him since he pretty much allowed me to exist. :)

Date: 2008-03-09 14:03:47
So what if we ended up in another country?!

Date: 2008-03-09 16:25:41

Which some other less cavlier explorer would have found anyway without killing everybody on it.

Um… You sure? What he did, though cruel now, was the norm back then and any explorer would of acted the same way.

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2008-03-10 23:22:48
Also, what killed most of the Native Americans weren't wicked explorers. It was the foreign diseases. A perfectly innocent group of discovers would still have killed millions because of the germs that they brought with them.

That being said, "Explorer Day" wouldn't be a bad name change, because Columbus was stupid enough to think that he had found a new way to the Indies and not a new world. By the time he died he was the only one who believed that.

Date: 2008-03-11 07:06:28
A good amount did die from disease, but him and his crew killed another good amount directly. Either way, it was all at the fault of their crew, however innocent some may have died. We wouldn't celebrate one who brought diseases either, or had a very bad norm in his time.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-03-11 11:29:36
There are more Native Americans in America now than there were at the time of the explorers.

Date: 2008-03-11 13:46:28

There are more Native Americans in America now than there were at the time of the explorers.
How is that possible? :???:

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2008-03-11 14:02:59

How is that possible? :???:

You don't get it? Seriously? He means that a bunch of people living here were born in America, making them *ahem* a native American. See?

Date: 2008-03-11 14:19:14
I think we mean the indigenous people.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2008-03-11 16:23:47

I think we mean the indigenous people.

I believe he meant what I said. He'll tell us, I'm sure.