Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Religion and the creation of new religions. - Page 1

Religion and the creation of new religions.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2006-11-17 12:55:35
This debate already started when I posted this:

A pair of…Uh-hum, "Jedi knights" have written to the UN to make Jedi a religion. Um, my view is insanity.

Two self-styled Jedi Knights are stepping up an intergalactic campaign for formal recognition. Umada and Yunyun, also known as John Wilkinson and Charlotte Law, want the UN to acknowledge "The Force" is worthy of being called a religion. The couple claim to be part of the UK's fourth largest religious group, after 400,000 people recorded their faith as "Jedi" in the 2001 Census.

They say that as a religion, they deserve tolerance and respect. November the 16th is the annual International

Day for Tolerance.

And as part of a global battle worthy of Luke Skywalker's efforts against the Empire, the band of self-styled Jedis want the UN to re-name the day as Interstellar Day of Tolerance.

More people claim their religion to be Jedi in England and Wales than those who follow Sikhism, Judaism and Buddhism. And the cause has global support.

There are also 70,000 Jedi knights in Australia, 53,000 in New Zealand, and 20,000 in Canada.

This is Umada and Yunyun's letter to the UN Association:

To whom it may concern,

For the last ten years the United Nations has marked today as the International Day of Tolerance.

While we support this important work, we feel the UN needs to move with the times.

In the 2001 UK census, 390,000 people identified themselves as Jedi Knights, making us the fourth largest religion in the country.

We have a proud heritage dating back 195,000 years to our first Jedi, the blue haired, blue eyed Kaja Sinis, who was born on Coruscant.

Like the United Nations, the Jedi Knights are peacekeepers, and we feel we have the basic right to express our religion through wearing our robes, and to be recognised by the national and international community.

We therefore call upon you to change the 16th November to the United Nations Interstellar Day of Tolerance, to reflect the religious make-up of our twenty-first century civilization.

Tolerance is about respecting difference where ever it lies, including other galaxies. Please don't exclude us from your important work.

May the Force be with you

What on earth is the meaning of Religion these days.

And then it went on about the craziness of religion and then a debate about religion, the bible and sci-fi.

So I think that it is alright to create a religion in the early year of humanity, when people don't know what could have caused the creation of earth. But with todays science the creation of new religions is completely un-nessersary.
We have a good idea bout the creation of earth so we don't need no rubbish like "God is a flying spaghetti monster" and *This random craziness*

IT IS STUPID

Re: Religion and the creation of new religions.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-11-17 14:01:28
Flying Spaghetti Monster was created as a parody religion, like the Invisible Pink Unicorn. FSM parodies the "creationism" deal (it started with a letter to a school district asking for his "religion" to be taught in science classes), while the IPU is "a unicorn that is paradoxically both invisible and pink." - i.e. we know she's invisible since we can't see her, but we have faith that she's pink.

The point of this silliness is to prod the theist into remembering that their preaching is likely to be viewed by atheists as having all the credibility and seriousness of [the atheists'] preaching about the IPU.

As far as Scientology, it proves to us two things:

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2006-12-29 15:02:21
One religion that I've found to be crazy because of its self-contradictory laws is Satanism. Look it up on wikipedia.

Posted by: pokemon_yellow
Date: 2006-12-29 16:58:01
Ack sorry i pressed the unlock topic button by accident.. ^^:; sorry

Date: 2006-12-30 01:34:14
when did this get locked?

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2006-12-30 01:44:05
Idk, but it's now unlocked. :\

Posted by: gfw spacezilla
Date: 2007-04-10 09:25:57
meh as far as Im concerned the earth and universe wernt created by any god they occured as scientists say I believe in stuff like the big bang and stuff
altough I do believe in the stuff like walking on water and all the miracle s that jesus did and I also think that those so called jedis are some of the biggest star wars fanboys everthey love it so much the y worship it wtf?? well thats my two cents 

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-04-13 00:34:34

A pair of…Uh-hum, "Jedi knights" have written to the UN to make Jedi a religion. Um, my view is insanity.

Two self-styled Jedi Knights are stepping up an intergalactic campaign for formal recognition. Umada and Yunyun, also known as John Wilkinson and Charlotte Law, want the UN to acknowledge "The Force" is worthy of being called a religion. The couple claim to be part of the UK's fourth largest religious group, after 400,000 people recorded their faith as "Jedi" in the 2001 Census.

They say that as a religion, they deserve tolerance and respect. November the 16th is the annual International

Day for Tolerance.

And as part of a global battle worthy of Luke Skywalker's efforts against the Empire, the band of self-styled Jedis want the UN to re-name the day as Interstellar Day of Tolerance.

More people claim their religion to be Jedi in England and Wales than those who follow Sikhism, Judaism and Buddhism. And the cause has global support.

There are also 70,000 Jedi knights in Australia, 53,000 in New Zealand, and 20,000 in Canada.

This is Umada and Yunyun's letter to the UN Association:

To whom it may concern,

For the last ten years the United Nations has marked today as the International Day of Tolerance.

While we support this important work, we feel the UN needs to move with the times.

In the 2001 UK census, 390,000 people identified themselves as Jedi Knights, making us the fourth largest religion in the country.

We have a proud heritage dating back 195,000 years to our first Jedi, the blue haired, blue eyed Kaja Sinis, who was born on Coruscant.

Like the United Nations, the Jedi Knights are peacekeepers, and we feel we have the basic right to express our religion through wearing our robes, and to be recognised by the national and international community.

We therefore call upon you to change the 16th November to the United Nations Interstellar Day of Tolerance, to reflect the religious make-up of our twenty-first century civilization.

Tolerance is about respecting difference where ever it lies, including other galaxies. Please don't exclude us from your important work.

May the Force be with you

What on earth is the meaning of Religion these days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1589133.stm

Date: 2007-04-13 08:37:13
Yeah, What is the world coming to….  ???

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2007-08-25 15:23:08
God a Spaghetti Monster?? A Xenu alien guy?? WHAT THE FUCK???

Posted by: d3ad connection
Date: 2007-08-25 15:32:43
Eh. I say let people believe what they want to believe.

Date: 2007-08-26 17:49:19

but people don't even actualy believe in FSM.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2007-08-26 18:47:22
I saw "creation of new religions" and my mind just screamed "MORMONISM."

But people can think what they want to think, i guess.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-08-26 20:52:03

Compared to most "real" religions, FSM is equally as plausible.

Date: 2007-08-27 05:48:57

Compared to most "real" religions, FSM is equally as plausible.

Hoggins has the Gospel of the FSM. He read me some quotes. It is actually very scientific in a taking-the-piss-of-religions sort of way.