Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Introductions

Long-time lurker, first-time speaker-upper - Page 1

Long-time lurker, first-time speaker-upper

Posted by: Xiphiidae
Date: 2015-02-04 07:28:16
Hey there everyone! I'm Xiphiidae (or Xiph).

I've been a lurker of this site for many years now.
Only in 2013 did I decide to make an account so that I could actually contribute to discussions, but now have I decided to finally make a post.

I've been a huge fan of Pokémon since the old timey-times, and I've been incredibly interested in glitches since I first learnt about Missingno. I became intrigued by the technical aspects of glitches upon discovering this site and watching Torchickens' videos on YouTube.

I'm also somewhat of a competitive battler, having entered that scene during the Gen IV days.
I'm from Australia and I'm currently heading into my final undergrad year of University, studying Zoology and Linguistics.

I hope we can get along~

Re: Long-time lurker, first-time speaker-upper

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-02-04 07:44:58
Welcome Xiphiidae!

Cool, do you do competitive battling a lot? I did a few in the past but I couldn't really get into making new teams all of the time and didn't want to cheat them, I was also not so good, I would lose a lot, but I strongly remember some of my party Pokémon, like the Choice Banded Staraptor I'd use to beat up Dialga on Pokémon Battle Revolution.

Good luck with your final year at university.

And I'm glad you like my videos. I recognize your avatar. :)

Date: 2015-02-04 08:00:19
Thanks! :)

I was pretty into it and did it a lot back in Gen IV and Battle Revolution, but only now with ORAS am I starting to get back to the stage where I was at before (I sorta skipped Gen V, so it's difficult getting used to everything that was added/changed since then).

I'll try my best ^w^b

Haha, you're welcome.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2015-02-04 10:24:58
Welcome Xiph!

Have you considered battling on Pokemon Showdown? You don't need to EV train or breed that way, and the battles are shorter thanks to faster and simpler animations.

Also, have you heard about Twitch Plays Pokemon?

Date: 2015-02-04 11:28:03

Welcome Xiph!

Have you considered battling on Pokemon Showdown? You don't need to EV train or breed that way, and the battles are shorter thanks to faster and simpler animations.

Also, have you heard about Twitch Plays Pokemon?

I've considered it but I've never tried, actually. I might, but honestly I quite like the breeding aspect, not to mention I can use those Pokés in online/official competitions as well. But Showdown/Online would definitely be good for testing out teams and Pokés though.

Of course ;) Truly it was an incredible way of bringing Gen I back into the limelight.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2015-02-04 14:50:52

I'm from Australia and

YES.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2015-02-04 15:14:39
Hi, Xiph! Belated welcome to GCLF!

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120510221731/unanything/images/8/80/Don't_forget_you're_here_forever.jpg[/img]

Date: 2015-02-04 15:34:55

I'm from Australia and

YES.

:D

Hi, Xiph! Belated welcome to GCLF!

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120510221731/unanything/images/8/80/Don't_forget_you're_here_forever.jpg[/img]

Thanks! ^_^

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-02-04 17:07:13
I think linguistics is an interesting subject. I have been studying Japanese for a while now (since 2010 but not intensively) and I previously knew close to nothing about any foreign language.

I consider myself to still be a beginner, but I can turn the hiragana/katakana into romaji, vice verse without any help and I've learned a few rules and built on my Japanese vocabulary.

Let's learn some Japanese:

Today in my Japanese evening class we learned the potential form for expressing your ability to do something -

Example: はにほ- I can write a little Japanese.

For regular 1 verbs you can put something in ま form and change the kana to be +2 in the (…) series. For example, for the sentence above く becomes きま and then becomes ま.

For regular 2 verbs you can put something in the  ま form but just add before  ま, e.g. はほみま= I can see the stars.

For irregular verbs it's different, for きま you have to use ま and for ま you have to use できま.

You can also just use とでき to say you are able to do something, e.g. はにほくとでき

It has made me think how much we take for granted. I learned the specifics of English intuitively, but non-native English speakers may have to learn the language by a top-down approach by copying a structure/learning when to use certain verb conjugations, etc. I imagine that if I study hard and am actually immersed in Japanese I might become good some day.

I've nearly finished a TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) teacher training course as well. There were a few practice lessons we had to teach to non-English speakers in groups. It was quite fun. It's harder to teach the lower level students compared to intermediate though, because of your "language awareness" (you have to be careful not to use words and structures the students don't know). It has helped build my confidence so I don't mind if I don't end up teaching English.

I'm planning to do a ROM hack of Densetsu no Starfy and translate what little I can, I have done the Opening Demo now and inserted it into the game. I don't even know how to do GBA graphics hacking yet but I found a useful document so that may help, I'll do what I can.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-02-04 20:23:54
Hello!

Posted by: camper
Date: 2015-02-04 21:36:22

Of course ;) Truly it was an incredible way of bringing Gen I back into the limelight.

They're starting Season 2 with a Pokemon Red Dex Completion run. Join if you're free!

Date: 2015-02-05 07:21:45

Hello!

Hello to you too!

They're starting Season 2 with a Pokemon Red Dex Completion run. Join if you're free!

Oh wow, I'll have to get in on that.

I think linguistics is an interesting subject…

Linguistics is indeed interesting. We've had to look at Japanese quite a few times in the past because of its interesting properties (particularly how sentence structure is influenced by context, discourse and topic-prominence), although we only look at romanised Japanese.

Sadly I'm only fluent in English. For me, the most difficult thing about learning a language isn't the sounds or the grammar, but simply building a vocabulary strong enough so that you're able to express yourself.

I'm conversational in Swedish;  I understand how to pronounce words and how to use grammar (Swedish grammar is simple and fairly like English), but I always have problems because I simply don't know enough words. Virtually everyone in Sweden speaks near-perfect English anyway, so it's not that much of a problem, but I'd like to become fluent in it, if possible.

I've been considering doing a TEFL course after I finish my undergrad, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm pretty certain that I want to go into teaching, but I don't know whether to teach Science/Biology, Lingustics, English as a Foreign Lanuage or English Language for native speakers. I'm sure that I'll figure it out.

Oh, wow. I've always been interested in game translations/localisations since Mato (of legendsoflocalization.com) did his work on the Mother 3 translation. His analyses on the translations of FFIV and Earthbound are incredibly interesting. 

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2015-02-05 10:46:13
Glad to meet you Xiphiidae, hope your time here (however long that may be, hopefully forever), is nothing short of enjoyable.
Also, I'd love to battle you sometime. I've been wanting to get into competitive battling but I haven't really gotten the chance to battle against anyone with the teams I've made on ORAS.

Date: 2015-02-05 12:01:40

Glad to meet you Xiphiidae, hope your time here (however long that may be, hopefully forever), is nothing short of enjoyable.
Also, I'd love to battle you sometime. I've been wanting to get into competitive battling but I haven't really gotten the chance to battle against anyone with the teams I've made on ORAS.

Thank you! ()

I'd love to battle you as well, just add my friend code (under my avatar). I haven't been able to battle many people either; I'm not a huge fan of Battle Spot (I think that I prefer 6v6 to 3v3), and it's annoying that you have to pick out random passers-by if you want to 6v6 battle (and if you do this they can use Legendaries/etc.), so it's not great. Ultimately, I would really like a Stadium-like game to be released for the Wii U.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-13 17:37:58
Welcome, Xiphiidae!

Like you, I've lurked here for some time as well. And Torchickens' excellent work has also inspired and motivated me to make my own contributions, however small :)

As for competitive battling, I'm more of a solo player.

In terms of languages and linguistics, I'm a native Portuguese speaker with reasonable fluency in the English language and some knowledge of Japanese. Torchickens' post above was very interesting to me since I learned a bit more about the "language of Yamato". Another curious thing is that some Japanese words are actually of Portuguese origin.