Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Introductions

Long-time lurker, first-time speaker-upper - Page 2

Re: Long-time lurker, first-time speaker-upper

Posted by: Xiphiidae
Date: 2015-02-14 02:23:55

Welcome, Xiphiidae!

Like you, I've lurked here for some time as well. And Torchickens' excellent work has also inspired and motivated me to make my own contributions, however small :)

As for competitive battling, I'm more of a solo player.

In terms of languages and linguistics, I'm a native Portuguese speaker with reasonable fluency in the English language and some knowledge of Japanese. Torchickens' post above was very interesting to me since I learned a bit more about the "language of Yamato". Another curious thing is that some Japanese words are actually of Portuguese origin.

I'd like to try to make my own contributions somehow, but it's a bit difficult to know where to start.

Hm, I knew that tempura and pan came from Portuguese but I had no idea that there were so many other words also.

Re: Long-time lurker, first-time speaker-upper

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-14 05:51:59

Hm, I knew that tempura and pan came from Portuguese but I had no idea that there were so many other words also.

There's some dispute over the origin of tempura. The Japanese arigatou and Portuguese obrigado are also not related, although this is a common misconception.

I noticed just now that the Wikipedia article I linked to talks about an ancient Portuguese book on Japanese grammar titled Arte da Lingoa de Iapam, which is old Portuguese for "Arte da Língua do Japão", or "Art of the Language of Japan" in English. Google has a full digital copy of it, and apparently it's the oldest, complete, extant Japanese grammar. I think I'll study it despite there being a minor language barrier (Portuguese from 500 years ago has some significant differences).

Here's an example from the first page:

ARTE DA LINGOA DE IAPAM composta pello Padre Ioão Rodriguez, Portugues da Cõpanhia de Iesv, diuidida em tres livros.

Com licença do ordinario e svperiores em Nangasaqui no Collegio de Iapão da Companhia de Iesv. Anno 1604

In modern Portuguese:
ARTE DA LÍNGUA DO JAPO composta pelo Padre João Rodrigues, Português da Companhia de Jesus, dividida em três livros.

Com licença do ordinário e superiores em Nagasaqui no Colégio do Japão da Companhia de Jesus. Ano 1604

In English:
ART OF THE LANGUAGE OF JAPAN composed by Priest João Rodrigues, a Portugueseman from the Society of Jesus, divided in three books.

With permission from the ordinary and superiors in Nagasaki on the College of Japan from the Society of Jesus. Year 1604