Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

I need a new WMV Saving Filter file - Page 1

I need a new WMV Saving Filter file

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-07 18:53:15
Alright, here's my problem: I was cleaning up my computer a few weeks ago trying to free up some disk space which was coincidentally for the Virus infested Sonic Heroes PC Torrent and I accidentally deleted the WMV saving Filter file. Now Windows Movie Maker comes up with a save error and says that my disk is full or that the directory I'm saving to no longer exists. Neither one is true. I restored defaults and found out that two of the files were deleted. I looked in their directory and it was empty. I know I did this because I briefly remember deleting them before the virus attack I brought onto myself because of my stupidity. I'm usually a lot smarter than that but I failed to foresee the out come of my actions and payed for it.

WMVs play okay I just can't save videos into WMV format. I used another video editing program and it crashed whenever I tried to save to WMV. When I tried to save to MPEG it worked. However, I searched for the file in the directory it was supposed to be in and it wasn't there.

Does anyone have a filter to recommend to me to replace the one I deleted by mistake? BTW I'm using an HP Pavilion entertainment PC Laptop with Windows XP Media Center Edition as an operating sytem in case you needed to know all that shit for some reason or another.

Re: I need a new WMV Saving Filter file

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-04-07 19:56:16
The OS matters. And uh, insert your windows CD, and poke arround in there for the files you deleted. Thy are most likely in a .zip file(poke arround in those aswell. they openlike normal folders). They also could be a .dl_ file.

Date: 2009-04-07 20:03:56
I don't have a windows CD. My PC was obtained at a yard sale for 200+ dollars and it didn't come with that. :(

Date: 2009-04-07 21:28:27
Of COURCE :P
Uhh, downlload a Iso of windows XP media center edtion, burn it, and peek arround in it XD

Date: 2009-04-08 15:06:25
Can't someone just give me a copy of their's? No I'm never torrenting again after what happened to my computer unless I know for sure the torrent is safe to download. All you have to is open windows movie maker and go to tools and open options. Then click the compatibility tab to see where all the filters are located. go to those directories and copy the files. There's on in particualar I'm looking for. It says: wtwmplug.ax.

And yes if you have its equivilent it will work. As for me I'm going to google all of my missing things but you guys are here for backup if needed.

Date: 2009-04-08 19:13:41
I don't have that file in my filters. Mayby it's because I use windows vista.
Edit: Uh, aparently wtwmplug.ax is related to wild tanget, and that is malware. Uh, I think it may by something else Your missing.

Date: 2009-04-09 14:56:45
I found out it was a piece of Malware. I can't find what's wrong. I'm not even sure what the problem is. At first I thought I deleted some stuff I wasn't supposed to then I thought it had something to do with the virtual memory being too low. Apparently that's not the case. I'm not exactly sure what the hell is wrong but I'll never be able to create videos fro youtube ever again if I can't fix it. It could be a registry error but I can't find a registry repairing software that is completely free and doesn't have a fixed number of errors to delete. I'm looking for one that doesn't force me to register and comes with all the things I need and doesn't put a limit on them. I can't find one and I have over 20000+ registry errors that need to be fixed. I can't fix them though because none of the damn programs allow me to fix them fucking all. If you know of one that doesn't require me to register to get full error fixing capabilities then please do tell me because I need it badly.

I can't access task manager or regedit to fix task manager either due to a virus. The only Antivirus I had that removed those errors was Spybot search and destroy. However I had to uninstall it to make room for McAfee (which someone should have fucking told me it was a fucking piece of shit before I installed it. Would have saved me the trouble of bitching.)

I can't reinstall Spybot Search and destroy because I have no idea where the setup files are and due to my shitty wireless DSL connection downloads stop in mid process. Makes me fucking mad because it won't stop. It seems to have a pattern. In October it will work fine. It will continue to do so all through November and about halfway through December the connection starts acting up again. I think the phone company is scamming me but it could also be a bad cable. I can't check it out because I live with a bitch of an aunt who doesn't want me to touch the wireless at all or even be in the same room with it. God I can't wait to get out of this Chaotic loony bin called my house.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-09 15:04:32
I'm sure there's away to re-enable task manager. Conficker, disables that, plus I have Wireless Internet and mine is perfectly fine. Hold on I'm gonna check about on Google on how to re-enable task manager. I really hate having permanent short-term memory loss. Okay, I'm reading how to re-encable task manager. If this fails, then feel free to shoot me. Here's what they say:

1. Click Start

2. Click Run

3. Type REGEDIT

4. Click OK The Registry Editor will now open

5. Browse to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system

6. In the right pane, look for the value: DisableTaskMgr

7. Right click DisableTaskMgr and select Delete. (When prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete this value", select Yes.

8. Now browse to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

9. In the right pane, look for the value: DisableTaskMgr

10. Right click DisableTaskMgr and select Delete. (When prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete this value", select Yes.

11. Close the Registry by choosing File | Exit

12. You should now be able to access Task Manager. If not, reboot into Safe Mode and repeat the steps outlined above.

Date: 2009-04-09 15:58:43
He said that regedit was disabled as well. And not just conficker disables regedit BTW.
Also, I do know of a registery error fixer thing(OR atleast I think it is)
Malwarebytes antimalware.

Download it(Extreamly small… 2.1 megs or somthing like that).

Date: 2009-04-09 16:09:19
I'm not familiar with other malware that disables things. Other than half of the viruses that have attacked me 6 years ago. If Glisp has dial-up (the worst Internet connection ever), then the download would take forever. My uncle has dial-up, and it's fucking terrible.

Date: 2009-04-09 16:28:18
How many fucking times do I have to say its WIRELESS DSL GODDAMMIT AND HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO DESCIRBE WHAT IT DOES. THE DOWNLOADS DON'T GO SLOW THEY JUST COME TO A SCREECHING HALT BECAUSE MY CONNECTION STOPS RECIEVING AND SENDING INFORMATION FOR A DOWNLOAD BUT WILL ALWAYS SEND INFORMATION FOR UPLOADING TO THE INTERNET? ALSO REGEDIT HAS BEEN DISABLED TOO SO I CAN'T FUCKING GET INTO THE STUPID REGEDIT TO FIX THE FUCKING TASK MANAGER……. Whoa…. sorry for the flame guys but the frustration is getting to me. I wasn't technically targeting anyone. I was just yelling at the world. You have no idea what its like to have your internet connection constantly do this to you. I've searched and searched to find the cause of the problem and my problem is so rare apparently that I can't even describe it well enough for people to understand me and no one else I know seems to have this problem. I'm beginning to think my ISP is doing it to get more money. That would explain why my connection works fine through the end of October to Halfway through December. It could also be my connection's cord.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm a ticking time bomb at the moment so I'm leaving the site to cool off for a bit. Once again sorry for my explosion. Oh another thing: My wireless goes out everytime the phone rings.

Date: 2009-04-09 16:35:56
Seriously, you won't get help if you're going to get pissed off at everyone when we're trying to help. We can't see if other things have been disabled through a fucking screen. If I was 5 years younger, back at the age of 15, I'd no doubt help but I have memory loss, so I can't remember what to do when my task manager got disabled on my first XP, when I had violent virus attacks. I'm trying my best to help you by going through much of my bad memory on how to re-enable task manager, but I can't because I don't remember, and you getting pissed at everyone will not help. *Sighs* I've spent most of my childhood around computers, and I picked up on a lot of things, but I was born with memory-loss as it runs in my family. I was reading about a virus last month that disables certain things, and it wasn't Conficker. I'll have to go through Wikipedia's virus/worm list (again) to remember what it was called. I'm gonna have another search on Google, to see if there's other websites to find out how to get back regedit. My cousins, used to use dial-up and when the phone was being used the Internet was offline, it's what dial-up does, it sucks total ass, and it useless. Now I'm gonna find another site about regedit, before you flame one of us again. Right, what system are you? Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP: Professional, Windows XP: Home Edition, Windows Vista. I'm looking through Google, to see what sites they have to safely bring back regedit. Okay, Glisp it would seem you was infected with W32/Swen@MM worm virus, it disables Regedit. Some door guy was infected with that and he had the same trouble with Regedit. I'm reading about how to get it back without having to download a file to repair it, due to your useless Internet connection.

Date: 2009-04-09 16:44:13
As I said in my post, I wasn't yelling at anyone in particular. I was just yelling to be yelling. Plus I was frustrated with the fact that I've told everyone what kind of problems I've been experiencing with my internet connection. I still think my ISP is fucking me over. I'm not even allowed to go into the same room as the wireless adaptor to fix it and I'm not even really sure what the problem is.

Date: 2009-04-09 16:52:40
W32/Swen@MM worm virus, disables/fucks up Regedit.  Someone has posted about how to get back Regedit, but I'm unsure if you have to download a file. I'll check it out before I say anymore. Well, that site was full of shit. Now this site seems, a bit different, here's what it says about, when regedit gets disabled, by a virus.

How to enable registry when infected by virus

When your registry is being disabled:

First, maybe the administrator disabled it for some restriction purposes.

Second, due to a virus. Most of the virus disabled the regedit for you to unable to stop the execution of its program.

Here are the solutions for enabling the regedit again.

* Use the gpedit.msc to enable the registry editor.

Step 1: Hit the window or click start button then press "r" or simply click the run

Step 2: type gpedit.msc

Step 3: Click on Administrative Templates

Step 4: Click the System and locate the Prevent access to registry editing tools and double click on it

Step 5: Select the enabled on the optionbutton the click apply.

This will make a policy to prevent access to the registry editing tools, The computer will automatically made the policy.

Step 6: After clicking on apply select the disabled in the option button then click the apply again then click ok button when finished.

The disabled button will make the policy into default, the computer will automatically configured it and becomes a default comfig which is the registry editor can be access by the user.

If this doesn't work, I'll look else where. I don't remember how I got my task manager back. I did something but I can't remember. There are other ways, but you can't download because of your bad Internet. Here's another website, they make more sense.

Registry Editor, a main registry editing tool equipped in all versions and editions of Windows operating system
, can be disabled, blocked and locked to prevent the RegEdit from been ran or executed by users in order to protect important system registry. Other possibility of Registry Editor been disabled is caused by virus or worm such as W32/Brontok-C.

When Registry Editor is disabled, user unable and cannot open or run Registry Editor anymore. Any attempt to run RegEdit.exe will return the error ?Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator?. Hence it?s impossible to remove the restriction on Registry Editor usage by using the Registry Editor itself. However, it?s possible to use various workaround to directly edit the registry to remove the policy that blocks Registry Editor usage.

Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator.

Enable Registry Editor using Local Group Policy Editor

For user using Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Server 2003
or 2008 with Local Group Policy Editor and has access to an administrative user account, user can change the registry editor options in the Local Group Policy Editor.

1. Click on Start -> Run (or Start Search in Windows Vista).
  2. Enter GPEdit.msc and then press Enter.
  3. Navigate to the following location:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System
  4. In the Settings pane, locate the Prevent access to registry editing tools option, and then double-click on it to open the settings dialog.
  5. Select Disabled or Not Configured.
  6. Click on OK button.
  7. Try to run RegEdit.exe, and if required (still blocking yet), restart the computer.

VBS Script to Enable or Disable Registry Editor

Doug Knox has created a .vbs VB script that able to toggle between enable or disable the Registry Editor. Right click to download and save the regtools.vbs into a folder. Then double click on the VBS file to run it.

The regtools.vbs VB script file will check for the appropriate value related to disabling/enabling of Registry Editor. If the registry key is not found, the key will be created to disable Registry Editor. If the value was found, it will be toggled to its opposite state and you will be informed that you need to log off and log back on or restart your computer. All change by the script is made in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

UnHookExec.inf by Symantec to Reset Registry Values to Default Settings

In many cases, disabling of Registry Editor is caused by virus, worm or Trojan, which attempts to stop user from fixing any changes to the registry, which normally affects changes to one or more of the shell\open\command keys. For example, exefile\shell\open\command key is changed, the virus, worm or Trojan threat will run each time that system run any .exe file. As such, Symantec create a .inf script tool to reset these registry values to their default settings.

WARNING: The UnHookExec.inf will reset registry keys and values related to BAT, COM, EXE, PIF, REG and SCR extensions, beside re-enabling the Registry Editor. Hence, users who just want to re-enable the Registry Editor has to manually modify the .inf file to remove the unnecessary commands.

Download the file UnHookExec.inf and save it to your Windows desktop

Right-click the UnHookExec.inf file and click install. Action will be taken immediately. No display, nor any notice or boxes will appear before or after running. Try to run RegEdit.exe again, restart and reboot PC if it?s still blocked.

This is all I can offer to help. Without a stable Internet connection, downloading a file to repair the problem, might be the only way, or doing it my manual. If I had this problem again, I'd just get a new PC.

Date: 2009-04-09 20:04:05

4. In the Settings pane, locate the Prevent access to registry editing tools option, and then double-click on it to open the settings dialog.

I just have one small problem and it involves this step. I can't find it in there and I've looked 500 times. Perhaps it is in a different location in Windows XP Media Center editon hmmm?