Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Windows 7: Worth It? - Page 1

Windows 7: Worth It?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-10-25 11:25:46
Is Windows 7 worth it?

NOTE: This is also a Windows 7 discussion thread.

Re: Windows 7: Worth It?

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-10-25 11:52:15
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES.
I can't wait for MissingNo to see this.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-10-25 12:19:21
Nah, not yet at least.  I do prefer to wait before I upgrade my operating system.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-10-25 12:42:09
Ubuntu Linux is worth it

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-10-25 12:44:53

Ubuntu Linux is worth it

Wait… it's free….

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-10-25 13:12:22
So far it seems a lot like Vista. With a different taskbar. And now you can't organize the files in your folders the way you want them to be. Plus let's not add the confusing interface in Windows Explorer.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-10-25 13:32:40
IE is useless it crashes and my answer is no. Windows 7 is going to be another failure like Vista, and I bet you in a few months time Windows 7 is going to be the next victim for the Conficker Worm. Vista, XP Windows 7 Beta, and other Windows systems (like Server 2008), is going to be another victim to Conficker. Will I upgrade to Windows 7? Nope. If my Vista/XP goes wrong, I'll turn to Lunix.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-10-25 14:00:48
Picking an operating system based on its susceptibility to Conficker is like avoiding a partner based on their susceptibility to the common cold. If you take the necessary precautions then it doesn't matter.

Windows 7 looks decent enough but Vista has yet to irritate me like other people so I'll wait for a while.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-10-25 14:05:42
I won't buy windows 7 unless it allows at least 90% compatibility with the programs I have on my laptop.

Also, I can try out Windows 7 anytime thanks to my mother's friend that I'll be living with for 6 months starting November 1st.

Date: 2009-10-25 14:24:36
Vista irritates me on the endless fact it has more updates than Windows XP. And it's taken me nearly 2 weeks to get the three downloads that would fail to finally install. There's already Windows 7 laptops released here in England. Until either can impress me, I may download it. If not, I'll switch to Lunix, once I know my stuff will be safe.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-10-25 16:35:54

I won't buy windows 7 unless it allows at least 90% compatibility with the programs I have on my laptop.

Also, I can try out Windows 7 anytime thanks to my mother's friend that I'll be living with for 6 months starting November 1st.

Windows Ultimate let's you run XP in a window to run those programs that don't work for some reason with XP compatibility mode, that, and it has Vista Compatibility mode.

Date: 2009-10-25 17:49:58
Certain things like Spybot: Search & Destroy doesn't work with Vista, it never worked on mine properly.

Posted by: Slowhand
Date: 2009-10-25 18:26:58
Windows 7 is amazing. Better for gaming than Vista and XP.

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-10-25 18:44:05

YESYESYESYESYESYESYES.
I can't wait for MissingNo to see this.

Uh, yeah, it's worth it, even back in the pre-7000 builds era. Fast, slick, friendly, makes up for Windows ME 2.0.

Windows Ultimate let's you run XP in a window to run those programs that don't work for some reason with XP compatibility mode, that, and it has Vista Compatibility mode.

XP Mode needs hardware virtualization support on the processor.

Date: 2009-10-25 19:02:20
Vista is better for gaming with an HD screen like my laptop has. If there is a "better" difference for Windows 7, I'd get it for my parents.