Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Windows Vista (And what I hate about) - Page 1

Windows Vista (And what I hate about)

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-12 23:28:52
I don't know what's worse. My Windows XP: Pro computer, or my Windows Vista: Home Basic SP2. My PC keeps loading up pop-ups with Firefox, and IE runs in the background (I can hear it when it loads, and stupid voices are heard through my music), Windows Vista, is slow, ands freezes/hangs a lot of stuff.

My laptop:
Windows Vista: Home Basic SP2
About 3 maybe 4 months old
Problems: Slowness, crashes/hangs a lot of things.
No death screens yet
Crashes: WMP11, Firefox, My files, Windows Explorer (desktop/tool bar), fails to update Microsoft Office.

I don't know why Microsoft puts Windows Media Player on Vista, when it's not fully compatible, with it. My last Vista laptop was Home Premium, that was missing that old MPEG-1 Codec (this one has it, bizarre isn't it?), but when I tried to download WMP11 to replace/fix the damaged files it wouldn't because there is no WMP 11 version for Windows Vista. I don't know what the hell is with Vista, it has a habit of making Firefox hang to a point it has to be closed by the Problem Reports and Solutions programe. IE 8 runs slow (on all systems, even my parents' PC), it makes my files crash (Not Responding), for like a few seconds maybe minutes before the Problem Reports and Solutions has to close it down. I can't downgrade to Windows XP, because everything will be lost. I got, shit load of songs, a few movies, my files all my stuff in it, my pictures, stories (that I make), sprites, my games, links. There's too much stuff to be lost because Windows Vista sucks, and I'm not downloading/buying Windows 7, I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole. There's been many reports about black screens of death. I'll try and find a news article about it, on Google News. What do you guys think Microsoft should do? I say they should stop bring out more Windows Systems, to mask over the other problems their other systems have, because they won't do a damn thing about it, so they'll make Vista, which has a few bugs - making things hang/crash, "failing" updates, (It's ALWAYS Error 646, with Office updates, and I've done all that like Gary's said, and it still does not work), making Vista a bit more faster, but instead they build other systems that mask over Vista's problems which becomes Windows 7 until they get black screens of death, which are no doubt the same ones I get when my computer runs Guild Wars. If others got problems with Vista, feel free to post, I only made this topic to seek some help, to what's with my Vista maybe a bit of help with my computer without anything about "downloading" Windows 7 (I don't want Windows 7, I get enough problems with Vista, and downgrading to XP without any risk of losing what's left of my stuff), and to find out why it keeps loading pop-ups.

Re: Windows Vista (And what I hate about)

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-12-13 00:30:30
If you hate Windows so much, stop using it.

Date: 2009-12-13 00:44:55
Easier said than done. I can't find any Mac/Lunx systems in England, all we got it Windows.

Date: 2009-12-13 03:49:44

Easier said than done. I can't find any Mac/Lunx systems in England, all we got it Windows.

You don't need to buy a new computer, you just install the OS on your existing one. Unlike Mac, which is an OS and a computer, Linux and other Unix-like OSs are just software. You can install one on the machine you're using now, without harming your Windows install, using Wubi. Try it - it's 100% free, and if you don't like it you can uninstall it and keep Windows.

FYI, Guild Wars runs perfectly under Wine, the Windows compatibility layer for Linux.

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-12-13 07:41:01

You don't need to buy a new computer, you just install the OS on your existing one. Unlike Mac, which is an OS and a computer, Linux and other Unix-like OSs are just software. You can install one on the machine you're using now, without harming your Windows install, using Wubi. Try it - it's 100% free, and if you don't like it you can uninstall it and keep Windows.

Wow, I should give that a look- I've always wanted to try Linux. How long does it take to install and switch from Windows to Linux?

Never mind; site answered my questions. I'm probably going to do this over Christmas Break, or maybe even today if I find a couple of spare hours.

Date: 2009-12-13 11:36:32
I can't trust my laptop - it runs slow, and my computer is just useless. If nothing gets lost, I'll use my PC as the test subject. X3

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-12-13 15:04:33
I'm trying this. I'll download it after some studying.

Date: 2009-12-13 15:16:34
Would anything be lost during the change?

Date: 2009-12-13 15:18:37
No, since Wubi installs it in a virtual disk residing within Windows. Nothing in Windows is harmed.

Date: 2009-12-13 15:26:28
Oh good, since my Windows XP tends to suffer a black screen of death, when my PC is still on, but nothing loads whenever I play Guild Wars

Date: 2009-12-13 20:27:30
Wow, the install is waaaaaaaaaaaay long. (9 hours by the programs estimation!)

Any way I can shorten the install?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-12-13 20:54:20

Grab a coffee it says *shot*. Maybe just close all the other programs when you get off for the night.

Date: 2009-12-13 20:58:10

Grab a coffee it says *shot*. Maybe just close all the other programs when you get off for the night.

Good idea.

I loled at 'Grab a coffee, and it will be done'. I'm already a bit dissapointed with Linux; empty promises don't sit well with me.

Date: 2009-12-13 21:07:38

Good idea.

I loled at 'Grab a coffee, and it will be done'. I'm already a bit dissapointed with Linux; empty promises don't sit well with me.

It's downloading 2+ gigabytes from the internet. The speed at which it takes you to install it depends on the connection.

Generally, though, I've found that Ubuntu installs off of a CD much quicker than Windows.

Date: 2009-12-14 16:43:45
Damn it, I let it install while I was at school, but the installation failed (message about 'access being denied'). Wonder what went wrong (there are not multiple Windows accounts on my computer, so by default I am an administrator)?