Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Transition to wiki good idea or bad? - Page 1

Transition to wiki good idea or bad?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-01-30 18:58:33
In early-2005 I asked ACE91 about the feasibility of using a wiki instead of the setup we had then (a portal-CMS, kind of like what The Orange Glove will be). He said it was a bad idea, probably because of the probability of false stuff ending up on the site.

However, things have changed significantly since 2005. Here is the breakdown of the advantages a wiki setup will have from my viewpoint:

So what say y'all on this? Personally I think the good outweighs the bad.

Re: Transition to wiki good idea or bad?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-01-30 19:20:07
As long as we add in security verification to edits to prevent spam bot edits then yes. :)

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-01-30 19:22:10
Sure, sounds all right.

Date: 2009-01-30 20:51:56

As long as we add in security verification to edits to prevent spam bot edits then yes. :)

That's very possible.

Posted by: Thomas
Date: 2009-01-30 21:00:00
I don't really mind.

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2009-01-30 21:31:59
What the heck, I can easily update the "Glitchdex" that way, and we no longer have to catagorize Glitches by site.

I vote yes.

We should have it though so only registered users can edit, rather than the average trouble making Joe.

Date: 2009-01-30 21:38:16
That's what we were going to do.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2009-01-30 21:42:05
Good idea. I always thought it'd be a good idea to try that. This might just revive GCL.

Though, would other information go onto the site as well, be the same as before, or what?

Date: 2009-01-30 22:30:43
Well, we could separate the Caspar stuff into their own namespaces or something, or make a page entitled "Sonic glitches" and have all of the Sonic glitches be subpages of that.

Aside from that, it's mostly a way to 1) Encourage user participation/replace the "Submit a Glitch" system that is massively backlogged now, 2) Make it simpler to edit the site, 3) Laziness on my part because I'm tired of all the Orange Glove coding I did this week. The "What needs work" thread shows that many users thought Minor Glitches could use some overhaul.

Posted by: agusganog
Date: 2009-01-30 23:23:27
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-01-31 04:26:48
Sounds great to me! I'll be able to post my stuff there finally!

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-01-31 08:00:11
Hmm….sounds like a good plan to me. I could use an easier page editing system. I took a look at the one that we have but could not figure out how to use it.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-01-31 17:00:46
Sounds good. The only thing to worry about would be false information, but the solution seems to be found. It would probably be a better way to search all the glitches.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-02-01 00:11:04
Eh, worth a try. This does look like a good idea but one flaw. Would guests be able to make new pages? Even if the pages are flagged and unseen, could they have the authority to make them? If the answer is no, then we'll still need the submit a glitch feature on the site. But the idea of having working sonic sections and whatnot is great. For that reason, we should go for it.

Date: 2009-02-01 08:34:41

Eh, worth a try. This does look like a good idea but one flaw. Would guests be able to make new pages? Even if the pages are flagged and unseen, could they have the authority to make them? If the answer is no, then we'll still need the submit a glitch feature on the site. But the idea of having working sonic sections and whatnot is great. For that reason, we should go for it.

They have to register an account to make pages and guests really shouldn't be able to make new pages anyway to prevent "ZOMFG MISSINGNO IS EATIN MAH BRAINZ" spam.