Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Transition to wiki good idea or bad? - Page 2

Re: Transition to wiki good idea or bad?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-02-01 14:00:59
What license will content be released under? I?m not a fan of copyleft, and would prefer something like CC‐BY to the GFDL.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-02-01 17:55:58
I thought we were using the same license as we do now.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-02-01 19:06:34

I thought we were using the same license as we do now.

We are now using the GNU Free Documentation License. I'm starting to dislike it, too, so we might move to a Creative Commons license when we transition.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-02-01 20:09:39
I vote yes. It would also be easier to move arround in IMO.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-02-01 20:55:10
I vote yes.  Isn't the advantage that TRSrockin has on us is user-submitted data?

Date: 2009-02-01 22:11:00

I vote yes.  Isn't the advantage that TRSrockin has on us is user-submitted data?

TRsRockin has no advantage on us; the glitch section on that site has not been updated since July 2007. Their main claim to fame is that they have been around longer. There's not much we can do about that.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-02-01 23:07:43
I vote yes, WITH THE CONDITION that you use GFDL ONLY.  CC-anything fails epicly.

Date: 2009-02-02 17:10:44

I vote yes, WITH THE CONDITION that you use GFDL ONLY.  CC-anything fails epicly.

Mind elaborating on that? The GFDL is excessively wordy and full of legalese, and is incompatible with most other licenses. Most Creative Commons licenses are more readable, and non‐copyleft licenses (i.e. anything but CC‐*‐SA) get around the latter.

Date: 2009-02-02 17:27:15
Wikipedia uses the GFDL, and it is less restrictive than deviantART, which uses CC 3.0.  Also, the GFDL is perfectly compatible with the GNU General Public License and GNU Lesser General Public License.

Date: 2009-02-02 17:34:52
Why would we need our content to be compatible with the GPL and LGPL, which are software licenses?

Even if I did develop any sort of program that uses GCL's content, it would most likely be the MIT License, which is what The Orange Glove itself is licensed under.

Date: 2009-02-02 17:38:13
The MIT License is too ambiguous.  Anyone can claim that they wrote it.  In addition, with the GNU General Public License, you are required by law to distribute source code, which allows the entire open-source movement to potentially help write your programs.

Date: 2009-02-02 17:41:22
The license requires that copyrights stay intact, so anyone who changed the copyright would violate the license.

Anyway, we're going off on a tangent here. Let's keep discussion of software licenses to another time. The matter of what license the new site uses is something we can put off till we have the technical stuff set up.

Date: 2009-02-02 21:25:10

Anyway, we're going off on a tangent here.

My work here is done!

Date: 2009-02-18 21:55:27
They have to register an account to make pages and guests really shouldn't be able to make new pages anyway to prevent "ZOMFG MISSINGNO IS EATIN MAH BRAINZ" spam.

On Wikipedia, you can't make pages or edit semiprotected pages or low-traffic templates (and probably other shit) until you are autoconfirmed (ie 4 days).  Also, you can always IP block someone indefinitely (or at least until 2499/12/31 23.59.59 UTC).