Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Dex status/ideas for the wiki - Page 1

Dex status/ideas for the wiki

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-28 11:57:44
It's not realistic all of these will get done, but here are some Dex ideas for the wiki. You can post all sorts of ideas here for others to research in case they want to do so.

GlitchDex - Done
AttackDex - In progress
ItemDex - Done (except Generation II glitch items)
TrainerDex - In progress (work completed in non-wiki form by TheZZAZZGlitch for English RBY and Japanese Red/Green)
TypeDex - Done (in terms of all used types on glitch moves)
UnownDex - In progress

PhoneDex (GSC) - Not started but work completed in non-wiki form by Photon-Phoenix/Yuzihax
OptionDex (GS) - Not started but work completed in non-wiki form by Photon-Phoenix/Yuzihax
DexDex (GSC) - I think pokechu22 did work on this. These are glitch Pokédex listing options.
DollDex (GSC) - Photon-Phoenix/Yuzihax
PosterDex (GSC) - Photon-Phoenix/Yuzihax
AreaDex (RBY, GSC, later) - Done in parts but not as a dex project/no prefix for articles yet. Not that viable for GSC (only possibly on a case by case basis for those that don't freeze the game)
SecretBaseDex - Generation III glitch decorations
StatDex (RBY) - Some work by danny. None done for Generation II yet.
TileDex - Done by PRAMA Initiative for French version of Red/Blue.
RibbonDex (RSE upwards) - Zowayix documented one of them.
WeatherDex?
SpecialEmoteDex (Yellow)
EmoteDex?
BattleAnimationDex?
SoundBankDex (RBY)
PredefDex (RBY) - Already done for Yellow, but could possibly go deeper.
FacingDex (RBY) - Based on value of C109. See here.
DayDex (GSC)

All have only been done for English versions (except for the TileDex and TrainerDex) right now.

Re: Dex status/ideas for the wiki

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2018-01-01 14:14:36
Kind of unrelated, but is there any RAM address that allows controlling trainer class? (Obviously not $D058/$D059, because those don't allow trainer class trainers above $37)

Date: 2018-01-16 15:07:41

Kind of unrelated, but is there any RAM address that allows controlling trainer class? (Obviously not $D058/$D059, because those don't allow trainer class trainers above $37)

CD2D stores this according to the disassembly. However from my understanding CD2D stores a lot of things and GameShark code 01xx2DCD won't modify the trainer class (at least not on VBA v24 svn422).

However, if you just want an easy way to modify the Trainer class the following Game Genie codes should do the trick:

Red/Blue:
XXF-549-C49
3EF-539-B31

Yellow:
XX0-2F9-C49
3E0-2E9-B31

These Game Genie codes were created by changing part of how a subroutine works that looks up a value (Trainer class) and subtracts 200 to instead use a constant value represented by XX. As Wack0 pointed out then in theory if you run a modified version of the routine with 8F or ws m you can encounter 'artificial Trainer classes' without a Game Genie or ROM hack.

With a physical Game Genie it probably isn't possible to do this on Yellow though, due to the device working with original Game Boy games rather than Game Boy Color compatible games. I'm not 100% sure though.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2018-01-17 08:35:43
I REALLY wanna get working on international glitch dex more soon, that's like my true burning passion when it comes to Pokémon glitching. so i really hope we can expand that further really soon, i would love to contribute as much as i possibly can ^^

Date: 2018-08-26 17:43:51
I decided to keep track of D031 (Trainer class) with the 8F offgao memory editor. It seems these are indeed the actual Trainer index numbers (-200 (decimal) of instant encounters greater than 0xC7). So for instance, battle Trainer 0xC8 this value will be 01, battle Youngster (D059=0xC9) it will be 0x02, and for "4S" (D059=0xFF) it will be 0x37.

Unfortunately you can't change the sprites and names of the Trainer with just this code, but you can change their AI routines to match another Trainer. For instance, you can battle a glitch Trainer with freezing AI routines and then change D031 to 0x15 (corresponding to Juggler instant encounter ID 0xDD (actual hex:15)). I confirmed testing one glitch Trainer that normally freezes the game that the glitch Trainer then should not freeze the game, and start occasionally switching Pokémon, like what a Juggler does.

Victory text may also be affected this way because I remember doing something similar (see here).

Today TheZZAZZGlitch very kindly gave me some pastebins for Trainer AIs in Red/Blue after I asked him a similar question in a PM, so for the buffer overflow manipulation it's a matter of finding safe AI routines and having the victory text not freeze the game.

https://pastebin.com/raw/kg3Gqmsk
https://pastebin.com/raw/FfUbxFtK

I won't copy the exact post PM in case TheZZAZZGlitch doesn't want me to publish it, but it actually appears that there are two different types of AIs here; a single pointer for Trainer AI, as well as what TheZZAZZGlitch calls (and the disassembly?) "move choice modifications" (which are also routines).

From how I understood it, basically according to TheZZAZZGlitch, there are four valid move modifications, the first three are used by valid Trainers and the fourth is an unused one that does nothing. Valid Trainers use these first three move modifications that are applied in a specific order defined in the ROM (so for instance, Sailor has (in order) move modification 1, move modification 3). But glitch Trainers can use invalid move modifications, allowing them to have 2 or more glitch AI pointers. In fact (actual) Trainer class 0x90 has as many as 398 move modifications or instruction pointers, plus the basic Trainer AI pointer at 0C30 according to TheZZAZZGlitch.

It seems like the possibilities here are endless, but I'm unsure if it's possible to skip any of the move modifications.

It may seem at first modifying D031 is impossible without arbitrary code execution (because it's not in the expanded items packs), but maybe you can do it with CoolTrainer as that corrupts CF4B onward, it would just require some very specific screen data. Vague memory, I remember luckytyphlosion showed me a link to a video on Twitch of a weird Trainer battle involving CoolTrainer. Maybe it was actually forcing an invalid AI routine?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-10-02 14:11:07
The "Major glitches" directory is in need of some restructuring. I was thinking it should be combined with the "Glitches by generation" hierarchy, as it's likely a viewer will only be focusing on one generation/game at a time. Also, the header saying "Major glitches" with an entire 117 pages listed below it just looks wrong. "Tweaking" as one sole entry looks wrong, especially with the amount of Gen IV articles related to it that still need to be written. The Transform-Rage glitch and Trainer House oddities are nowhere close to as notable as things like the LOL glitch and shouldn't be on the same hierarchy level if we're differentiating between "major" and "minor" glitches. The "Pomeg data corruption glitch" page looks like it should be multiple pages, possibly in their own category like Red/Green Select glitches are. I'm a bit out of it and maybe none of this makes much sense, but even now I can tell it needs some sort of reorganization, no?

EDIT: A typo from me?! I really was. Still would be in favor of all of this, though.

Date: 2018-12-03 14:31:26
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone from Hall of Origin would like to assist with something please? It would be massively appreciated.

I created some of the articles about void glitches already but have had to paraphrase sources such as A comprehensive guide: the void and RETIRE's and Cryo's posts/videos because my knowledge on Generation IV glitches is relatively poor.

May you create or check the following articles here?

Found on:

https://glitchcity.info/w/index.php?title=Tweaking#See%20also

Tweaking (has article)
Retire glitch (has article)
Union Room wrong-warping glitch (has article)
Cascade glitch (needs article)
Fake Sinnoh (needs article)
Black Sinnoh (needs article)
Void grass tile writing (needs article)
Battle Tower void (needs article)

Thanks in advance!

Post moderation...could be better

Date: 2018-12-20 20:33:58
Just now, I approved a post through the "Unapproved Posts and Topics" page in the Moderation section. However, it was from a couple of hours ago, and I had no clue it was there! "Unread posts since last visit" showed nothing, the recent posts list showed nothing…how was anyone supposed to know about it? Reported posts make a notification appear at the top of the page ("There are moderator reports pending.") Could something like this be implemented for unapproved posts by moderated users?

Date: 2019-01-28 18:30:47
Is the "natural glitches" distinction really necessary? It doesn't take away from the wiki per se, but it seems superfluous and also hard for editors to remember.

I'll remind RETIRE about those when I'm next on Discord. He's got quite the crew, so we should be able to get those well-documented.

Also, repeating everything I said about abolishing the "Major glitches" category and shifting categorization to Generation only.

Date: 2019-01-29 02:40:14

Is the "natural glitches" distinction really necessary? It doesn't take away from the wiki per se, but it seems superfluous and also hard for editors to remember.

I'll remind RETIRE about those when I'm next on Discord. He's got quite the crew, so we should be able to get those well-documented.

Also, repeating everything I said about abolishing the "Major glitches" category and shifting categorization to Generation only.

I think the idea was so we could distinguish what each glitch spans from. As for instance, ZZAZZ glitch is impossible without a glitch like Trainer escape glitch. However, that's a good point I don't know whether we need to do this. For some people the distinction could just sound confusing.

I still personally feel it's useful but also there's room for subjectivity whether a glitch is a natural glitch or not.

Re:Discord thanks Sherkel!

Yes, I'm personally for abolishing the major glitch category too. Maybe some 'major glitches' could be advertised on the main page but the category and minor glitch category removed.

Date: 2019-02-01 22:26:27
After looking through the wiki again (the Generation III section in particular), I feel the "natural glitch" label should be abolished entirely. Tons of pages would need it added to them as it stands right now. If anything, there should be a subcategory for glitches that do require another to be performed beforehand, but I don't really think that's necessary either as those pages would link to whatever their precursors are.

Date: 2019-02-02 06:50:12

After looking through the wiki again (the Generation III section in particular), I feel the "natural glitch" label should be abolished entirely. Tons of pages would need it added to them as it stands right now. If anything, there should be a subcategory for glitches that do require another to be performed beforehand, but I don't really think that's necessary either as those pages would link to whatever their precursors are.

All right. Go for it.  :)

Date: 2019-02-02 18:10:35
No objection from me

Go for it

Cleared it for the first three generations so far.

Uh oh...what's this now? Subcategories too... :P

Aaaand done with the Natural glitches categories. Despite how many did have it properly labeled, there were inconsistencies all across the board with the categorizations and I think it's good to have caught it sooner than later. Only to be expected with an editor base of…basically one, these past few years?

Next up is to tackle (probably remove) the categories of "Miscellaneous" and "Minor" glitches. Certain glitches (Pomeg glitch, ACE entrypoints, Item underflow, Select glitches…basically what's in the sidebar) do warrant a "Major glitches" category of some sort, I think, just not one close to the size of the current one.

Showing what page someone is viewing on the wiki?

Date: 2019-02-07 18:41:32
If a user is logged in and is on any non-forum page, the text defaults to "Viewing the board index of Glitch City Laboratories Forums." Would there be a way to have a different message appear if they're browsing the wiki, or maybe even which page they're viewing?

Date: 2019-02-23 21:31:20
Some points from Bbbbbbbbba about the natural glitch classification: https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Talk:Trapped_at_burgled_house_oversight