Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Website Advertisement

SECTOR91 - Page 1

SECTOR91

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2007-12-04 09:09:42
You thought I'd never do it, didn't you? I said I'd make my own website, and most of you probably laughed it off and thought it was a lost cause. BUT YOU WERE WRONG.

And now, after years of planning that went into something… admittedly pretty mediocre… I have finally created my own website from which to distribute my homemade Java games. Say hello to SECTOR91.com!

== TAKE ME THERE! ==

Before you ask, THE BATTLE SIMULATOR SOURCE CODE IS NOT ON THIS SITE. It's a funny story about that, actually… You can read more about that on the game page for it.

So, as you probably have noticed (I'm talking to YOU, Abwayax) I didn't really leave GCL. I poked in from time to time to see how the site was going, and I was waiting for the right time to reveal this project. Right now probably wasn't that right time, but I revealed it anyway. :P But now, my membership at GCL is truly over. If you want to talk to me, you can join the SECTOR91 Forums. I have my own website to run now, so I have no business being here anymore, except maybe to check on this thread.

SECTOR91 may not be impressive now, but I have bigger and better games in the works. However, it will ultimately be the community that will help make SECTOR91 a success. The official SECTOR91 game projects (all of which are named "Project (insert Greek letter here)") will be distributed under an open-source license, and anyone who wants to help improve them (or to hack and modify them) can. Oh, and JOIN THE FORUMS! Seriously!

So, for what is hopefully the really, REALLY last time, ACE91 signing off.

Re: SECTOR91

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-04 09:56:45

But you come on alot, you just don't admit it.

Date: 2007-12-04 09:59:01

Yeah, I do. Dang auto-login… :P I show up from time to time to see what's going on here, but I'm not really a part of the community anymore.

Date: 2007-12-04 10:01:44

Yeah, I do. Dang auto-login… :P I show up from time to time to see what's going on here, but I'm not really a part of the community anymore.

You don't have to submit glitches, hardly anyone does anymore, especially admins. :P

Date: 2007-12-04 10:11:16

You don't have to submit glitches, hardly anyone does anymore, especially admins. :P
Well, that's beside the point. I stopped doing that a while before I left, actually. The real problem is that I have no reason to be a part of the forum community anymore, and frankly it's not the kind of community that I want to be a part of.

I suppose I should have said this the first time, but the loss of interest in glitch research was only half the reason I left. The real reason was that.. well… something just changed in the GCL community, and I didn't like it. Abwayax is a complete and total jerk, nobody gives a care about the forum rules or even common decency anymore, and the community in general has just gone down the gutter. I don't know what happened, maybe everyone just grew up, and not in a good way. But after this started happening, I slowly started to realize that GCL wasn't the kind of place that I wanted to be associated with. So… I left. And that's the story behind my resignation.

Now I suppose I just sit and wait for whatever flak I take from Abwayax for saying this…

Date: 2007-12-04 10:14:00

Well, that's beside the point. I stopped doing that a while before I left, actually. The real problem is that I have no reason to be a part of the forum community anymore, and frankly it's not the kind of community that I want to be a part of.

I suppose I should have said this the first time, but the loss of interest in glitch research was only half the reason I left. The real reason was that.. well… something just changed in the GCL community, and I didn't like it. Abwayax is a complete and total jerk, nobody gives a care about the forum rules or even common decency anymore, and the community in general has just gone down the gutter. I don't know what happened, maybe everyone just grew up, and not in a good way. But after this started happening, I slowly started to realize that GCL wasn't the kind of place that I wanted to be associated with. So… I left. And that's the story behind my resignation.

Now I suppose I just sit and wait for whatever flak I take from Abwayax for saying this…

Society can be reshaped.

Date: 2007-12-04 10:15:13
How very… cryptic. I'm not quite sure what you were referring to by that.

Date: 2007-12-04 10:16:16
Neither am I. But as the highest Admin who is not on Hiatus, I may step up the rules if society wants it.

Date: 2007-12-04 10:20:59
It's nice to see that you consider that an option, but I'm not sure if it would even work. (And most likely Abwayax would yell at you about it when he returns from hiatus.) Regardless, if you're thinking that would make me become an active member again, probably not. The original reason that I stated for my leaving still stands: I've lost interest in glitch research, and really in Pok?mon in general.

Date: 2007-12-04 10:22:36
I lost interest in Pokemon as soon as DP came out, but not glitches. :P

Date: 2007-12-04 10:24:06
You know, I sort of think everyone here has. :P Well, anyway, I suppose I've gone completely off-topic here. What do you think of SECTOR91?

Date: 2007-12-04 10:31:41
Brilliant, can you make more java applete games like the first one?

Date: 2007-12-04 10:34:54
You mean like Space Ace? Actually, my next big game for SECTOR91, Project Gamma, will be an applet. It's going to be awesome; it'll have Flash-like vector graphics and everything. Check back in about two weeks and I'll have a demo version up. The final version may even have multiplayer…

(What happened to Project Beta, you ask? Well, not every project makes it past the planning stages. But that one may not be completely dead…)

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-12-04 11:15:28
It's sad you took that message in my profile seriously. I mean, what? I make pot shots at people all the time these days. Granted, humor is subjective, but if you think I don't respect you, man… think to yourself, why do you have that distinguished rank, why do I even let you advertise here?

Nonetheless, I see no problems with the community. Granted, the rules may need to be strengthened (and there is the possibility of stepping them up if need be), but I've seen no indication that the community as a whole is being harmed. I didn't see any specific objections from you, only vague stuff about how the community is dead and whatnot. I can't do anything given vague complaints. If you really think that the system here has failed (and I see no reason to believe this), then, well, you know what not to do over at Sector91.

Speaking of Sector91, looks nice.

Date: 2007-12-04 11:31:04
Okay, I did overreact. I suppose it's just that, every time I pop in on GCL to see what everyone is doing, it seems you're always being sarcastic/critical to people or making fun of someone or something. That's just the image that I built up in my mind over the months. It's refreshing to see you being civil about this, though. I really shouldn't have reacted like that.

Well, I suppose I've only said vague things about the community because, had I said anything specific, it would only restart old arguments. It's obvious that you and I have different standards, and there's not much that can be done about that. If everyone on GCL accepts what I see as problems–the swearing and pervertedness, the fact that a lot of threads degenerate into people arguing about technicalities in the rules, and the freedom of people to "take potshots" at others, as you call it, without penalty–and if they aren't bothered by it, then I suppose I just don't belong here and any advice that I have would be moot.

So, once again, I have to kick myself for jumping to conclusions and holding grudges. I'm really bad about that anymore… But now you know what I think of GCL, and why I wanted to leave. Now, if you want to call me kiddy or immature or some kind of wacked-out religious nutcase, as I've been thinking you would for months now, go right ahead.