Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games

DX! - Page 1

DX!

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-06-05 19:52:25
This is a game I made for the TI-84 Plus, though it would probably work on 83/83+/83+SE/84+SE as well. In it, you control a dude who looks like a happy face (that's what he really looks like, but except for cutscenes he looks like a D for technical reasons), and beat levels and bosses. It is the first game I made for the TI-84 Plus and I have also made a sequel, DXΘ. It is a relatively small game, but you can't really make something too big if it's for a calculator. Before playing the first time, make sure you have all your Pictures Archived or you don't care about them. Always before playing ungroup PICSET1. Otherwise all cutscenes will be random pictures you have stored. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't. I'll get some screenshots soon, but attached is the program and PICSET1. The program is locked, to stop cheating. (by the way, Reverend Triangle really looks like a triangle with two eyes and a mouth) Sheesh I just typed a lot! Anyway, enjoy!
[attachment=3][attachment=4][attachment=5]
I couldn't get any actual gameplay screenshots as during then it processes data constantly and makes the port too busy to take a screenshot. Anyway, it uses text sprites.

Re: DX!

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-06-05 20:13:14

83/83+/83+SE/84+SE

I have an 82. :(

Date: 2008-06-06 13:51:55

83/83+/83+SE/84+SE

Ah, darn! Those aren't compatible I'm guessing?

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2008-06-07 09:39:30

83/83+/83+SE/84+SE

I don't think so. What features do they have?

I have an 84+ SE, and I want to learn HOW to program before I use some other persons programs. I have a whole summer to work on it, so I am going to go on ticalc.com. (or .org. I don't know which.)

Date: 2008-06-07 20:12:19

83/83+/83+SE/84+SE

I don't think so. What features do they have?

I have an 84+ SE, and I want to learn HOW to program before I use some other persons programs. I have a whole summer to work on it, so I am going to go on ticalc.com. (or .org. I don't know which.)
.org.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2008-06-07 20:17:25
T'anks.

DX - Mega Update

Date: 2008-09-12 16:10:34
I'll probably take off the download until the app version DX Deluxe is finished. It includes slightly revised versions of DX and DXΘ that prevent save file hacking, make save file backups, fix old minor errors, and make them compatible with BasicBuilder, a record viewer to show all of your stats in both games, an "Illusion Mode" to temporarily change records and play (somewhat pointless but still), no need to mess with picture files, and possibly a level maker. The level maker could be a seperate app/program. Also with it might be a "DX Event" program (might be an app to make it more official but might be a waste of space), my best shot at something that would imitate Mystery Gift and Nintendo Events (more DX Events could be released later). I also might make a DX comic, though unless you have an infinite store of ink or are really rich I would only give out to friends/classmates who get the game. I even might make a computer version of DX and DXΘ with Multimedia Fusion. If you followed all of this here are approximate release dates:
DX Deluxe - mid October
DX Event 1 - Finished but will be released with DX Deluxe
Level Maker (if made) - mid November/December
DX Super Edition (PC game) (if made) - mid November/December

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-09-12 17:38:44
Is this written in BASIC or ASM? If it's Basic I might be able to port it to the 86 (for my own use, I have an 86 - which is loads better than any 83 or 84 mind you)

Date: 2008-09-12 17:42:22

Is this written in BASIC or ASM? If it's Basic I might be able to port it to the 86 (for my own use, I have an 86 - which is loads better than any 83 or 84 mind you)
Basic, unfortunately. It's all I know. But check out the app when it's finished; it'll be pretty cool. I'm almost done with the "revised" version of DX.
Wait, just the Basic program, not a Flash App? I could make arrangements to have those for you.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-09-12 21:01:51
I'm fairly sure the 86 can't handle Flash Apps.

I don't think a plain old 83 can either. I think Flash Memory was introduced in the 83+.

Date: 2008-09-13 13:09:33
Well I said it worked with 83 back when I had the Basic program downloads. Without too much trouble I could throw together a Basic version of the App. Just warning before you get disappointed anyway, it's not a super impressive game. It's slow paced, for one thing. Also the levels are rather short and simple. It was my first game though (I had made another before but it was small, terrible, and had many errors if I recall).

BTW, I've finished the edits to DXREVERD (alternative name to original DX).

DX Update

Date: 2008-09-22 19:00:38
Not feeling too well, but spent a long time working on the DX app (still not sure what to call it yet, DX Deluxe could work but this will be it's true debut and I don't want it to sound like a better version of something else (which it is but that's not the point)). Anyway, features include:
-Updated versions of DX and DX Theta
–Add-ons to DX:
No picture ungrouping
Save file security (blocking hacking, save backups)
–In DX Theta:
Cool new stage on last boss
No picture ungrouping
Save file security (blocking hacking, save backups)
-"Illusion Mode" (temporarily changing records to do…well random stuff. No idea why I made this but whatever)
-"Backup Restore" This is only for use if you get the "dreaded" ERR:DOMAIN on the last boss in DX. This is not due to rushed programming–I have tried to figure out why this happens, but I haven't found anything that would cause that kind of error. Anyway what it does is it uses the backup system to restore your save to what it was before that point. Never use it in other situations, I dunno what will happen, but I wouldn't try.
-Record Viewer - A simple thingy to view all your stats in DX and DX Theta.
-Gallery - This is pretty cool in my opinion. This lets you view all pictures used in DX and DX Theta in a pretty cool interface. I made and finished this today.
-Clock - This is a basic clock feature, with a couple of characters on the clock. If I find out how to use the commands it will support setting the clock (it uses the internal clock on the calculator). Also it shows the date.
This will probably be it. Anyway, look forward to it, I'll probably release it in two to three days (I need to finish the stuff, compile it in BasicBuilder, and then test it).

By the way, this will probably be 32KB (which can be a lot for a calculator). All of the internal programs probably will add up to 14-16KB, and it uses picture spots up to W (for faster loading purposes), which would be 17641 bytes. Hopefully it won't loop to the next power or 2/multiple of 16384. Again, don't hope for something super-flashy, but it's not too bad in my opinion, considering I've spent probably about 20 hours working on it. Each game contains 4 levels and 2 bosses, each beatable in 15 sec-a minute, but it's a nice simple game. If there are any questions you can ask me, there are some parts where it is rather unclear what to do.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2008-12-17 09:34:11
This looks kewl, but I've got a TI-89T…

Date: 2008-12-17 16:55:04
Graah, I have gotten work done since I last posted, but my TI-84+ has been doing some weird stuff recently, and I've not ruend it on in fear of f**king something up. Sorry guys.
BTW, DX Deluxe was renamed to DX Omega.

Date: 2009-03-05 06:11:40
Now I have all the add-ons and programs for DX Omega backed up just in case, and believe it or not, I'm pretty sure I am…
FINISHED!
I'll just need to compile it in BasicBuilder and test it. I'll do it this afternoon.
Everything I said would be added has been, except for a new stage on the last boss of Theta (well, I added something, but it's really just to make it take longer). I worked for a long time on the old plan, but I could just not get it to work. Anyway, expect a download by 5 or 6 PM.
8:05 PM: Sorry about earlier, my brother had a project he had to do and then my family went to a restaurant, so I haven't gotten much time. I'll transfer it from my calculator soon. Past that, just have to compile it all. People can be beta testers then.
8:14 PM: Hmm…driver can't be found…that's not good. I guess I'll have to use my math teacher's computer tomorrow. Sorry guys. I'm downloading the latest version of TI Connect though, could help it work.
3/6/2009
5:06 PM: Generated the hex! Will sign it after my brother is off the computer. Oh never mind right when he said that he said he was done for the day! Cool! Will edit again when hex is signed.
BTW, You can watch gameplay videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3d2xqBFqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSpuKywHRcU&feature=related
And yes, it can be beaten in 5:14, but you're meant to do the levels over…it was a lot harder to make than you think. After this, I might start on DX 2. Who knows. Could be called ZX or DZ though.
5:16 PM: Downloaded Wappsign and tried to put the hex in, but it can't find the "key file". Any help, whoever is botherin got look?