Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games

Pok?mon Battle Simulator Beta (Bugfix 0.4.1 now available!) - Page 1

Pok?mon Battle Simulator Beta (Bugfix 0.4.1 now available!)

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-11-24 00:18:51
This is a project that I've been working on in secret for a while now. It's a fully D/P-compliant Pok?mon battle simulator written in Java. You battle agaisnt a computer foe that currently only picks moves at random. Download the attached ZIP files and check it out. I don't have time to explain much about it now, but the INSTRUCTIONS.txt file in battlesim_beta_0.x.zip has all the info you need. Remember, this is a BETA, so a lot of stuff doesn't work and the graphics look pretty bad. You can add your own teams, Pok?mon, and moves if you want, but you have to know the syntax of the data files.

To use the program, first download battlesim_beta_0.x.zip and unzip it. Then, download the two image ZIP files and unzip them to the images folder in the program's directory. Front and back sprites for all 493 Pok?mon take up a lot of space… Your should be able to double-click the JAR file and run the program, otherwise read in the instructions how to run it from the command line. If you don't want to download all of the images, read in the instructions how to run the program in text mode.

Screenshots:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/Ace91/battlesim_screenshot_1.png[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/Ace91/battlesim_screenshot_2.png[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/Ace91/battlesim_screenshot_3.png[/img]

Latest version: 0.4.1

Re: Pok?mon Battle Simulator Beta 1

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-11-24 02:00:55
your data files look way too much like GlitchBattle's alpha format :/

Damn thing's taking way too long to load, although, with 400-something Pokemon and a sizable attack file to parse, I can't exactly blame it. Also, MissingNo. is not in D/P.

Aside from that though… I swear, the data file formats look extremely similar to my program's. Take, for example, the team files:

Battle Simulator:
Pok?mon Name|Move 1|Move 2|Move 3|Move 4|HP EV|Attack EV|Defense EV|Sp. Attack EV|Sp. Defense EV|Speed EV

GlitchBattle:
Pok?mon ID or Name|Nickname|Level|Move 1|Move 2|Move 3|Move 4

Assuming I'm right to assume R/B/Y don't have effort values (which would make them impractical to emulate in GlitchBattle, which is a mostly R/B/Y simulator), the two formats are interchangable with minor changes.

Perhaps I can add an exporter for your format in 0.7, as it does seem a bit of an inconvenience to have to edit the team files by hand.

I'm going to say it again: It's taking way too much time to load. Granted, GlitchBattle takes much less time because it only has to load a fourth of the data the D/P simulator does (disregarding the fact that it also stores type and effect data in separate files), but… it's taking as long to load a single team file than it does to start GlitchBattle and begin a battle. You might also want to consider using a JFileChooser to select team files.

Date: 2006-11-24 10:14:37
The "MissingNo." is just a placeholder, sort of a joke. Perhaps I should change it to "Blank"…

I had no idea that I had accidentally copied your GlitchBattle file format… O_O It's been so long since I looked at your program that I had forgotten what its file format looked like, so it was completely unintentional. (Although using the .DAT extention was an idea I stole from it.)

And yes, one thing that wasn't fixed in this beta was the load time. I plan to fix it somehow in the final version. My dad suggested using a SQL database, but I think that that would defeat the purpose of this program–that is,  for everything to be editable. I could shave a lot off of the load time by making the Pok?mon load into memory at the beginning like the attacks do instead of making it go back to the file every time it loads a team, but I didn't bother to do that with the beta becuase the current loading method is so tightly integrated into the program. Also, the final version will have a team editor.

How did you lke my random-select team files? In case you haven't noticed, when you select the files "kanto.dat" or "johto.dat," the program randomly generates a team of Pok?mon from the file, each with randomly generated attacks.

Date: 2006-11-24 13:27:28
I had a hunch you were loading the Pokemon every time a team was loaded. I think you should move Pokemon loading to the beginning.

And actually, that was GlitchBattle's alpha format. Version 0.6 onwards use XML to store data (pokemon.dat is now pokemon.xml, for example). The team file format's the same to allow interchangablility between versions, but that's about it.

After the extremely long load, it's quite enjoyable, actually.

Date: 2006-11-24 17:02:59
BattleSim 0.2 is now available! I've fixed it up, and it now loads EXTREMELY fast compared to the previous version. This one loads the Pok?mon into memory along with the attacks at the start, and therefore the teams load instantly and the only wait is at the beginning. I also greatly reduced load time and file size by removing the unused descriptions from the move database. Check it out! (You'll still need the images from the first version; just copy over the images folder.)

Edit: Version 0.2 is out of date and no longer available. Download 0.3, which is now attached to the title post.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2006-11-24 17:48:36
It sounds good. but a picture says a 1000 words or something

I would like pictures or I will be forced to add them.

Date: 2006-11-24 17:49:39

It sounds good. but a picture says a 1000 words or something

I would like pictures or I will be forced to add them.
You mean screenshots of the program in action? I'll try to get some.

Date: 2006-11-25 22:11:18
Version 0.3 is now available! This includes a major bugfix for the random-select team files, as well as some new team files. Also, new attacks and abilities work now–most significantly, Protect and Detect. You can download it from the attachment on the first post. (BTW, previous versions will be removed as new ones are added, so you will no longer be able to get version 0.2 as of now.)

Re: Pokémon Battle Simulator Beta 1

Date: 2006-12-30 12:18:16
Version 0.4 is now available! Nearly all attacks work now, with the exception of attacks with charge-up turns and a few other gimmicky attacks. Also, lots of abilities work now, Accuracy and Evasion work now, the formulas for status effects have been corrected, many bugs have been squashed, and the interface has become far more user-friendly. It's also capable of running without the images installed if you don't want to download them. As you can see, this is a MAJOR update. Download it from the first post–you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much this release has improved from the last.

Also, check out the options page. There's an animated spinning Poké Ball background that you can enable, but only do so if you have a fast computer–animations in Java are notoriously CPU-intensive.

Edit: Version 0.4 is out of date and no longer available. Download 0.4.1, a bugfix release that is available in the title post.

Re: Pok?mon Battle Simulator Beta (Version 0.4 now available!)

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2006-12-31 12:06:39
Very good
I like it…..And this version, I can actually work it.

Posted by: Master_M
Date: 2007-02-05 21:55:56
It can't load the pokedex.dat file.  What do I do?

Date: 2007-02-05 23:16:23
Well, first you should make sure you haven't misplaced your pokedex.dat somewheres. If you just download and unzip it, then run it it should work.

Date: 2007-02-05 23:46:07
I got the situation figured out.  It's a Win/Mac difference.  The program is looking for Data\blah, but since I have a MAC, it's actually at Data/blah.  Dang backslash.

Date: 2007-02-06 12:20:41
I'll fix that in the next version, although the next version's coming along fairly slowly… Keep posting bugs that you find so that I can fix them.

Date: 2007-02-06 19:17:23
Sweet.  I was wondering, although I think I already know the answer:  Can you add pokemon to the list?