Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Error Error - Page 3

Re: Error Error

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-02-19 16:54:54
At such low levels Onix and Geodude don't know any rock moves, unless I'm mistaken.

Posted by: m
Date: 2007-02-20 01:02:06
woo this glitch IS weird :o

Posted by: m
Date: 2007-02-25 22:39:13
whats a brainboy???

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2007-02-26 17:27:24
Brain boys are a very old cheating device…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-02-08 15:44:27
*bump*

I was curious about this glitch, and I was thinking it could be possible with the save corruption (255 Pokémon) glitch, but unfortunately there didn't seem to be a way to beat your rival without the game freezing (not exactly freezing, but not letting you move) afterwards with your team of glitch Pokémon, since that is required for Oak to take his parcel.

To work around that problem, I thought of warping to Viridian City and depositing your Pokémon one by one, but unfortunately that always results in a freeze. If you warp to the Safari Zone, you can easily catch a Pokémon in Yellow (you can in Red/Blue, but it's hard as the 'wild appeared' glitch happens and makes balls miss most of the time for some reason), and this will change your number of Pokémon to something seemingly random (though one of my commenters said it was the index number of the Pokémon). I was lucky and got a low number and when I went back to the Pokémon Center I was able to deposit the Pokémon until I got under 6.

When going to the tall grass north of Pallet Town to get Pikachu, after Oak took me to his lab I was able to beat Blue without a freeze afterwards, but just my luck, the prevented progress glitch happened, and I thought it was only possible on Japanese versions before. Due to the prevented progress glitch, I wasn't able to get Oak to take his parcel.

Out of curiosity, I tried the glitch in the Red and Yellow versions (as well as Japanese Blue) of not only the English versions, but also the Japanese, French, Spanish, German and Italian versions. Two versions; Japanese Blue and French Yellow worked as Pokémon Centers. Also, I remember in at least one version Blue's theme playing and the shop assistant disappearing, lol.

Video. (enable annotations/check the description for links to the messages for a certain version)

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2014-02-09 15:54:10
I figured it out. The process of doing this glitch without a cheating device is a bit complicated (sometimes I feel like everything I find is complicated), but is definitely possible. Not sure if it will work on all versions, it was tested only on English Pokemon Yellow.

[size=8pt]The instructions:
1. Start a new game, delete the previous save file if it exists. Name the rival "e[[[".
2. Perform the save corruption glitch.
3. Swap the 6th Pokemon with the 10th.
4. Swap back the 10th Pokemon with the 6th, and go downstairs. Stand on the right side of the exit mat.
5. Toss 255 of the 35th item (should be Master Ball x0), then exit out of the house. You should appear in Viridian City.
6. Use a "Q4hV" (it should be in slot 23). It works exactly like Repel, and is used to prevent the 'Wild appeared' effect.
7. Go 4 steps south, 12 steps east (jumping off a ledge counts as 2 steps).
8. Pass through the wall, direction: down (the definition of 'passing through the wall' is at the end)
9. Go 4 steps east, 3 steps south.
10. Pass through the wall, direction: down
11. Go 5 steps east.
12. Pass through the wall, direction: east
13. Go 4 steps east, 13 steps south (jumping off a ledge counts as 2 steps).
14. 34th item should be now Rare Candy. Using them, level up the Pokemon at the first slot to level 9.
15. At level 9, Q will try to learn Super Glitch. Replace the third move (TM55) with Super Glitch.
16. Toss 245 Rare Candies, so only 1 Rare Candy remains.
17. Go 9 steps east.
18. Pass through the wall, direction: east
19. Go 15 steps east, 1 step north.
20. Pass through the wall, direction: east
21. Go 2 steps east.
22. 34th item should be now Oak's Parcel. Swap it with item #19.
23. Go 11 steps east, 14 steps north. The music should change to Viridian City's.
24. Swap the 3rd Pokemon with 36th. This should give you a message that "SAFARI GAME is over", and warp you to the Safari Zone gate. Go through the southern exit.
25. Go to the Viridian City Pokemon Center and access the PC.
26. Deposit one (!) of your TM45s (they should be at slot 24).
27. Deposit one of your Oak's Parcels (they should be at slot 19).
28. Withdraw (in order): Potion x1, TM45 x1, Oak's Parcel.
29. Go to the top-most left corner of the Pokemon Center.
30. Save the game, the next part may not always work.
31. Try to teach TM45 (Thunder Wave) to the first Pokemon in your party.
32. Replace the first move on the list. The game should then state you replaced 'Waterfall'. If that wasn't the case, reload the game from the save file and go back to step 31.
33. You should be moving very slow now; go back to Pallet Town, while avoiding any wild encounters if possible. If you encounter a Pokemon at this point, the game will crash - if this happens, reload the game from the save file and go back to step 31.
34. After arriving to Pallet Town, Oak will stop you as usual. Go to the lab, take your Pikachu, defeat the rival.
35. Now, talk to Professor Oak again. Give the parcel, take the Pokedex.
36. Go to Viridian City and visit the mart. Enjoy some glitch sounds!

When the instructions tell you to 'pass through the wall, direction: [X]', you should do the following:
1. Stand in front of the barrier, but face the direction which is opposite to direction [X] (if X is south, the player should face north, etc.)
2. Use "NAME?" (it should be in slot 22). Once the list of Pokemon appears, press B to go back.
3. Exit out of the item menu. Your sprite should be invisible.
4. Go one step in the direction [X].
5. Open and close your Pokemon menu.
6. Go one more step in the direction [X].[/size]

A video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO6JwlCgltk

Date: 2014-02-09 16:31:00
Well done. I haven't tried your method yet but educated guess; does the Super Glitch effect change your number of Pokémon to 0 so you get Pikachu as the only Pokémon?

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2014-02-09 23:59:25
I haven't tried your method yet but educated guess; does the Super Glitch effect change your number of Pokémon to 0 so you get Pikachu as the only Pokémon?

Yes, the Super Glitch effect sets the number of Pokemon to 0, and is used to get rid of all of the glitch Pokemon in player's party. The same thing can be achieved by catching a Pokemon in the Safari Zone and depositing everything what remains in party. It takes more time, but it does not corrupt the player's name.

Date: 2014-02-10 06:40:52

I haven't tried your method yet but educated guess; does the Super Glitch effect change your number of Pokémon to 0 so you get Pikachu as the only Pokémon?

Yes, the Super Glitch effect sets the number of Pokemon to 0, and is used to get rid of all of the glitch Pokemon in player's party. The same thing can be achieved by catching a Pokemon in the Safari Zone and depositing everything what remains in party. It takes more time, but it does not corrupt the player's name.

Yes, I tried that before on Yellow (and by chance it was fairly easy as I got a low number of Pokémon after I caught another one from having 255), but the only problem was that catching another Pokémon caused the prevented progress glitch to happen when I returned to Pallet Town and Oak's Lab with Oak's Parcel. By the way, I cheated to get Oak's Parcel to make things quicker, though it should be possible to get it with Trainer ID manipulation/your event displacement byte 2(?) trick.

In Red (possibly Blue too), it's difficult as the wild appeared glitch happens even though it's a different battle system and causes you to miss the Pokémon most of the time. I think it should work on Red though, as the prevented progress glitch does not occur on that version.