Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

'Object event' - Page 2

Re: 'Object event'

Posted by: DavidJCobb
Date: 2007-03-24 20:48:32
I got a theory…

Once I was working on a JavaScript that used custom objects. I needed one of these objects displayed in an alert box (for debugging purposes), and when that alert box came up, because the object was glitched, I got:

Object object

Perhaps this is something similar?

Posted by: Papa Doc
Date: 2007-03-24 21:32:47
might be

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-03-25 22:57:50
David - do you still have the code around? Perhaps there was an error in your code, not a glitch in the JavaScript engine itself.

It is most likely placeholder text for map objects that should not have dialogue. If in R/B/Y you were to "talk" to the caged Pokemon in the Fuschia zoo, they'd say "!". This is probably something similar.

Also - From the the text dump Bent posted today:
Corrupted event!

Object event

BG event

Coordinates event

Does anyone have a clue on how to find examples of these "events"?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-03-26 02:55:49
It is most likely placeholder text for map objects that should not have dialogue. If in R/B/Y you were to "talk" to the caged Pokemon in the Fuschia zoo, they'd say "!". This is probably something similar.

Yeah, I'd say that's the most likely option.
Does anyone have a clue on how to find examples of these "events"?

I can't provide anything definite, but my theory is that "BG event" refers to background – that is, the blockdata that forms the maps. This is occasionally changed in-game (for example, when the staircase appears in Mahogany Mart, or when you put carpet in your room), so it's a possibility that "BG event" is used somehow when something unexpected occurs with that.

As for "Coordinates event," I have no idea what that could be from. Coordinates are what determine the location of the player, warp tiles (including staircases and doors), people and signs (lolobjectevents), and possibly triggers. In any case, for those familiar with graphing, these coordinates are based in the SE quadrant – going right increases X (the first byte) and going down increases Y (the second).

Posted by: DavidJCobb
Date: 2007-04-04 22:09:16
Yeah, your placeholder theory makes more sense, Abwayax.

And the "Coordinates event" might be caused by someone specifying invalid coordinates for an object such as a Trainer; for example, placing a Trainer outside the map.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2007-04-29 15:29:29
Coordinate event might be found by trying to talk when a object's location changes like the man who shows you around cherrygrove