Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Pokémon G/S Space World '97 Rom Dump [In Progress] - Page 1

Pokémon G/S Space World '97 Rom Dump [In Progress]

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2018-05-29 20:26:00
Hey what's up guys it's the one and only Papa Doc here coming to you with some exciting news!

I came across this thread while taking a casual stroll through 4chan it looks like a notable rom hacker
by the name of Sanquii has gotten a hold of a rom dump of the Space World 1998 Demo of Pokémon Gold and Silver.

Proto: Pokémon Gold and Silver

Team Spaceworld (Research and Translation)

G/S Public Prototype Disassembly

Pokémon G/S Space World  1997 demo footage

GlitterBerri's account of the 1997 demo

I've attached a screenshot of a beta Pichu and the start screen.

This is all very exciting stuff as we will finally get to PLAY the beta of G/S and discover most if not all of
it's mysteries and hidden treasures we have never gotten to see. I've always been fascinated with beta/alpha
aspect of the first two generations and I can not wait to see what we will find such as potential beta or cut pokemon.

What do you guys think?

Re: Pokemon G/S Space World Rom Dump [In Progress]

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2018-05-29 21:10:29
Yes! It finally happened. =) i'm really happy about this, i simply love beta stuff (might even like it better than glitches), so this is great news indeed.

Now we only need playable roms of any beta version of Ocarina of time (formely Zelda64) and the nintendo64 prototype for Mother3 and i would literally be satisfied for life :3

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2018-05-30 15:52:53
Interesting.

Sanqui is a member here, and before any Gen III distribution carts were dumped he mentioned that his friend owned at least one, although as far as I'm aware he wasn't able to dump them, and eventually someone else dumped a couple of them.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2018-05-31 02:59:17
It got leaked. Finishing the translation is still planned.

Rough documentation (was being cleaned up for TCRF + the translation patch)

Date: 2018-05-31 04:12:50
Dude. Just checked out all the front and backsprites! Holy shit this is amazing :O
(Also: Early Leafeon?!? All the way back in gen2)

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2018-05-31 07:20:11
AAAA omg omg omg OMG OOMG I've been waiting for this for YEARS!!!!!

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2018-05-31 09:48:17
Wow this is is huge, never thought it would happen but I'm super happy it did.

Date: 2018-05-31 11:21:00
I'm currently having some fun and fighting some Glitch Pokémon in the beta so far. here's me fighting a #FC (252) while using a #FD (253)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-05-31 11:49:02
It's amazing a ROM this sensitive got leaked, with all the unused Pokémon, items, moves, minigames, debug menus and so on.

I like how the gameplay of this demo is very much more similar to Red/Green, even including glitch Pokémon like the originals and no ?????.

I'm currently having some fun and fighting some Glitch Pokémon in the beta so far. here's me fighting a #FC (252) while using a #FD (253)

Regarding those. Your party Pokémon data begins at D6AA but I don't know how you'd modify the wild Pokémon other from the debug menu yet, do you know?

Date: 2018-05-31 12:25:04
I knew i remembered seeing this sprite for Pikachu used in the Gold Beta before; it was featured as a sticker in Gameboy Camera. look it's the same one:

It's amazing a ROM this sensitive got leaked, with all the unused Pokémon, items, moves, minigames, debug menus and so on.

I like how the gameplay of this demo is very much more similar to Red/Green, even including glitch Pokémon like the originals and no ?????.

Yeah the game feel much more similar to red/green/blue japanese games and you can really feel that it's more primitive compared to the final polished gameboy color releases. Talk about inbetween transitional version, It's like Generation 1½

Regarding those. Your party Pokémon data begins at D6AA but I don't know how you'd modify the wild Pokémon other from the debug menu yet, do you know?

ah, no. So far i've only found these glitch Pokés through the debug fight option. =) So i don't know yet.

Date: 2018-05-31 12:42:40

I knew i remembered seeing this sprite for Pikachu used in the Gold Beta before; it was featured as a sticker in Gameboy Camera. look it's the same one:

Yeah I noticed that too. According to TCRF Chansey's sprite is from Game Boy Camera as well (although I can't find it as a stamp in the Game Boy Camera game and don't know if that was a mistake).

Additionally Mew's sprite was used in a Mew distribution cartridge.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/6fya3Cf.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/tzeKdXc.png[/img]

Yeah the game feel much more similar to red/green/blue japanese games and you can really feel that it's more primitive compared to the final polished gameboy color releases. Talk about inbetween transitional version, It's like Generation 1½

Definitely!

ah, no. So far i've only found these glitch Pokés through the debug fight option. =) So i don't know yet.

OK thanks anyway! :)

Edit: Items begin at D19E
Edit 2: D6B4: Pokémon slot 1 moves
Edit 3: OK I found the wild Pokémon addresses; CDD7 and CDD9

Date: 2018-05-31 14:08:47
I found skateboard sprites in the game :D

Edit: never mind, didn't realize they were easily viewable in the debug menu's "Character Viewer" until now lol

Additionally Mew's sprite was used in a Mew distribution cartridge.

Wow. That's also really cool. Wonder what it would look like inside of those distribution versions, it's clearly some version of Blue :O

Edit 3: OK I found the wild Pokémon addresses; CDD7 and CDD9

Nice! Really wanted these. great that you could find em.

Date: 2018-05-31 16:17:37

Wow this is is huge, never thought it would happen but I'm super happy it did.

She lives! What's up!

I'm going to save the ROMs for archiving purposes, the patched header versions
and the originals and then wait for the translation to come out.
My biggest hope is for someone to make a romhack of this into a full game with all the
Pokemon added including the official Johto Pokemon with a full story.

It looks like Silver got leaked as well, apparently the major differences are wild pokemon
and the logo on the intro screen.

Are we still not allowed to link to roms or does no one care anymore? Considering these are unofficial?
I might set up a page if all else fails.

P.S. Can someone move this to the Emulation and Rom section? Thanks!

Date: 2018-05-31 16:44:51

Sure.

Are we still not allowed to link to roms or does no one care anymore? Considering these are unofficial?

I personally feel it's still a step too far to upload them here (in particular because this is what appears to be an official prototype), even though other websites have them.

Date: 2018-05-31 17:04:18

Sure.

I personally feel it's still a step too far to upload them here (in particular because this is what appears to be an official prototype), even though other websites have them.

Sounds good, Thanks!