Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Pokémon G/S Space World '97 Rom Dump [In Progress] - Page 2

Re: Pokemon G/S Space World '97 Rom Dump [In Progress]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-05-31 17:06:18

P.S. Can someone move this to the Emulation and Rom section? Thanks!

Sure.

Are we still not allowed to link to roms or does no one care anymore? Considering these are unofficial?
I might set up a page if all else fails.

I personally feel it's still a step too far to upload them here (in particular because this is what appears to be an official prototype), even though other websites have them.

Sounds good, Thanks!

You're welcome.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2018-05-31 19:51:39
This makes me very happy! It's the best Pokemon news we've got within the past few days IMO. I've always wanted to play this beta, and now I can. Now if I can only figure out how to set up the GB assemblers on my computer since someone is working on a disassembly of the game… (I really wish it was easier to compile GB games…)

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2018-05-31 19:54:39
Words cannot describe how happy this makes me. This is one of the few prototypes I really wanted to play.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2018-05-31 20:49:40
I've only been able to play through Gold today, does anyone have a screenshot of the Silver title screen? (I assume it's not Lugia considering he wasn't in the demo)

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2018-05-31 20:56:38

I've only been able to play through Gold today, does anyone have a screenshot of the Silver title screen? (I assume it's not Lugia considering he wasn't in the demo)

Found it. It has a different logo on the title screen and a much better border

Date: 2018-05-31 21:01:46
Interesting to see the difference in borders. I assume both games are essentially the same outside of the logos? (Just got home from work so I'm catching up on news lol)

Posted by: Mefista
Date: 2018-05-31 22:09:03
Looking through the ripped pokemon sprites, I realised a thing: we got screwed out of a shark TWO gens in a row! T_T

Also, I think they scraped electric and dark kitties cause they redid "dogs" trio into "beasts", with two ending feline.

Posted by: Flameduck
Date: 2018-05-31 22:24:09
I've noticed that second floors of centres are unique and the first centre past the demo GATE actually has trade/battle/time capsule rooms.  I wonder if there's any way to save or get any Pokemon data from this.

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2018-06-01 00:33:54

I've noticed that second floors of centres are unique and the first centre past the demo GATE actually has trade/battle/time capsule rooms.  I wonder if there's any way to save or get any Pokemon data from this.

Would be fun if the game would run flawlessly on a flash card gameboy cartridge, could try and see if trading with a gen1 game or something would work.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-06-01 01:27:04
I don't see why it wouldn't work if flashed to a MBC3 cartridge.

You could try trading with an emulator that supports link cable stuff anyway. Probably won't work.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-06-01 03:58:35
Have created some articles about the glitch Pokémon in these versions for us to read about. :)

https://glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon#Japanese_Gold.2FSilver_Nintendo_Space_World_1997_demo

(I deleted a post of mine earlier with glitch Pokémon screenshots but because the articles only need the sprites which don't class under copyright/or debatable I thought it would be safe to do so)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2018-06-01 07:02:17

Have created some articles about the glitch Pokémon in these versions for us to read about. :)

https://glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon#Japanese_Gold.2FSilver_Nintendo_Space_World_1997_demo

(I deleted a post of mine earlier with glitch Pokémon screenshots but because the articles only need the sprites which don't class under copyright/or debatable I thought it would be safe to do so)

Regarding 253, I tried it out in debug Fight on player's side, on debug Gold; and although its cry was very long, it eventually went past it and to the fight menu.

Date: 2018-06-01 09:21:13
Has anyone explored the PCs btw? Was messing around w/ it yesterday and there were a few low level Pokemon stored. (off the top of my head there was a Lv. 5 Scyther) I fumbled around through the PC menus to see what Pokes were there (since I don't know Japanese clearly), so I'm looking forward to the Eng translation once it's out haha.

Re: Pokemon G/S Space World Rom Dump [In Progress]

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-01 16:20:01

My biggest hope is for someone to make a romhack of this into a full game with all the
Pokemon added including the official Johto Pokemon with a full story.

I'm going to be blunt: forget it. It's impossible to fit all that data in the ROM. Plus, there are only 2 slots (at best) available for new Pokémon. Adding more would require a massive re-write of the game engine, to allow 2-byte Pokémon.

This makes me very happy! It's the best Pokemon news we've got within the past few days IMO. I've always wanted to play this beta, and now I can. Now if I can only figure out how to set up the GB assemblers on my computer since someone is working on a disassembly of the game… (I really wish it was easier to compile GB games…)

I don't get it, just download RGBDS. The rest is as simple as running `make`.

Would be fun if the game would run flawlessly on a flash card gameboy cartridge, could try and see if trading with a gen1 game or something would work.

The game runs on flashcarts. You simply need to use the "fixed headers" version, since the original ROMs report an incorrect MBC type, which leads to a wrong bankswitch into an invalid opcode: crash.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2018-06-05 19:09:20
Hey everyone, long time no see. I've been checking out the prototypes myself. Being a regular contributor to TCRF (well semi-regular as I go through spells where I don't wanna make edits.) I spend a lot of time talking about it  on their discord server which has a channel dedicated to it. TCRF staffers are currently working on researching the ROMs. The leaker of the ROM on 4Chan is just that, a leaker and not the original source. They were forced to come out early because as usual, 4chan has to ruin surprises. (one of the reasons I hate 4chan so much.)

The original plan was to release the ROM after the translation and documentation were complete but since someone on 4chan decided that this was taking too long, they got impatient and leaked it.  As for the translation, it's about a month away or so from being completed from what I understand.

You can check the TCRF page here for information regarding the stuff found so far: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver
Also has a list of all the pokemon in the ROM.

btw, Skateboarding can be accessed via debug mode. It's buggy as hell though and doesn't work quite right unless you hold down the no clip button.

You'll also notice the map is based on Japan. Well it turns out there's more to this as the town with the Ruins of Alph is where Hiroshima should be, which when you think about this and the fact that Unown are in said ruins, it starts feeling a little more disturbing. The desert town seems to be based off of Japan's desert area as well. Also of note, Kanto has been downsized to a single large town. Probably because of the compression issues early on.

Rather than this being a full on prototype of the final product, it seems this version was dropped and they started over. No doubt the release of the anime in 98 had some influence on their decision.