Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Black Hole Machine - Page 1

Black Hole Machine

Posted by: Hydrall
Date: 2008-09-09 17:14:26
:o

Tomorrow, on September 10th, the Swiss will destroy the Earth.

They've made a giant machine that creates a mini black hole. Apparentally, that's perfectly safe.

If anyone can find an article in time, good.

Re: Black Hole Machine

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-09-09 17:16:23
this is that large hardon collider thing I've been hearing so much about isn't it?

well if it's going to destroy the earth it better be before my Calculus test

Date: 2008-09-09 17:19:18
Some Articles:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/09/080909-collider-startup.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/09/080909-black-hole.html?source=rss

It's probably nothing, though.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-09-09 17:22:27
"Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out on 8-11 August 2008,[2][3] the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008,[4] at 7:30 GMT and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.[5]"

Meh, we got about a month and 12 days. >_>

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-09-09 17:23:35
And if this doesn't destroy it, then the next test surlly will.
As the next test after the tenth will be using high charged particles all the way through it!

Date: 2008-09-09 17:48:12
No, fivex. It needs to COLLIDE PROTONS to do anything near a black hole. All protons going in one direction which = no collision which = no black hole. (Highly improbable that a black hole would form but meh.)

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-09-09 17:58:01
It won't work, in my opinion.

If it does…well, you know how in the beginning of Half-Life 1 when the experiment goes wrong and its the apocalypse?
Yeah.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2008-09-09 18:03:40
I saw a video about some dude talking about it. He said the biggest black holes they might get were the size of a mowskeetoe. And would then fizzle out.

Large hardon hadron collider not gonna blow me up some planets.

Date: 2008-09-09 18:25:50
Oh. Really? Good.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2008-09-09 18:44:27
Well if that doesn't destroy the earth the mantle will.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2008-09-09 19:01:19

Well if that doesn't destroy the earth the mantle will.

The… second highest layer of the earth? Do explain please.

Date: 2008-09-09 20:12:13
Visual demonstration of the black hole (if any) that will be made by the LHC.

[size=99pt]PROTON[/size]

[size=50pt]ELECTRON[/size]

[size=1pt]Black hole[/size]

It's not going to suck up anything since it's so small.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2008-09-09 21:25:41
Yes but they say IF the mini black hole stays stable, then it will destroy the earth. I'm not sure, whether it will happen or it won't happen. The scientists say that it could create a particle called a 'stranglet', basically what has infinite gravity and sucks everything in. My whole class was talking about it this very morning, and they're not sure either, but they say we should have a 'Doomsday Party' at either my or my friend's house. Considering both of us are usually the ones that like to talk about 2012 Doomsyear or any kind of Doomsday scenario.
Kinda scary to think that there is a small chance that this could actually happen.  O_o

Date: 2008-09-09 21:39:14
There won't be a black hole to begin with.  Besides, it can't suck in anything because of it's very small size.

The scientists say that it could create a particle called a 'stranglet', basically what has infinite gravity and sucks everything in.

To make ANYTHING like that you would need a SUPERDUPERAWESOME?BERLARGETURDMEGANOWTOYOUCAN'TTOUCHMYLAWNMOWERDUDESANDDUDESSESSSERIESOFTUBES Hadron collider.

Besides, larger and more powerful collisions like what the LHC will make happen a lot in our OWN ATMOSPHERE.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2008-09-09 21:57:55

There won't be a black hole to begin with.  Besides, it can't suck in anything because of it's very small size.

The scientists say that it could create a particle called a 'stranglet', basically what has infinite gravity and sucks everything in.

To make ANYTHING like that you would need a SUPERDUPERAWESOME?BERLARGETURDMEGANOWTOYOUCAN'TTOUCHMYLAWNMOWERDUDESANDDUDESSESSSERIESOFTUBES Hadron collider.

Besides, larger and more powerful collisions like what the LHC will make happen a lot in our OWN ATMOSPHERE.

That's not exactly right, no matter how small or big black holes are, they have infinite gravity. BUT! The one that they create (if it evens happens :P) will be so small that it will evaporate into itself… Sounds a little confusing, but yes the first thing it will suck up is itself